Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

randompersonx t1_j5gfq1x wrote

I agree, but also want to point out that if you are trying to have a very clean diet, it’s very easy to end up with low blood sodium. I did this.

I switched to a diet of only one meal a day, and only these ingredients:

Proteins: steak, fish, chicken, shrimp, oysters, eggs, bacon

Veggies: lettuce, cabbage, tomato (yes I know, technically a fruit including a few others on this list, but we eat them as vegetables and they are low sugar), peppers, onion, olives, avocado, broccoli, cauliflower, broccolini.

Oils: extra virgin olive oil, organic virgin coconut oil, organic virgin avocado oil, grass fed butter.

Once I hit my goal weight I will add back whole milk, plain yogurt, kefir, cottage cheese… I’m just trying to avoid the carbs for now.

I’ve been really enjoying the diet, it’s been very easy to follow and I’m losing a ton of weight very fast and retaining muscle…. But I had a blood test and came by low blood sodium and had to start putting salt on everything to correct it.

The amount of salt in processed food and restaurant food is crazy high… and as soon as you start only having unprocessed food, it’s very very easy to end up low sodium.

onetwentyeight t1_j5gsdlr wrote

Can you define clean as it relates to diet? What field is that a term of art in?

randompersonx t1_j5gw289 wrote

Clean = no processed foods. No man made chemicals. No seed oils. Oils that can be extracted by cold expeller pressing or churning are okay.

Everything you eat is as close to the way it was when it was living at the time you eat it. Obviously cooking is okay, but best to bake instead of fry when practical.

onetwentyeight t1_j5gy9o2 wrote

So what does the term "clean" offer over the more descriptive "unprocessed foods" which was part of the given definition?

randompersonx t1_j5gz1vm wrote

Potato, po-ta-to.

There are also some foods which would probably meet the definition of unprocessed for many people which wouldn’t necessarily be considered clean by most people following they sort of diet … eg: fresh squeezed apple juice.