Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

flexaplext t1_jefmsfi wrote

Would have had more of a chance with an EU-backed one. Trying to buyout an existing firm that's already gone a long way with LLM development.

Oh wait, Brexit happened 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

And governments are useless.

SharpCartographer831 t1_jefne2o wrote

Even worse Deepmind was originally British and was based in London.

Zer0D0wn83 t1_jefuy8l wrote

Headquarters are still in London, and they are registered as a British LTD.

stochastaclysm t1_jefv417 wrote

This is problem with the U.K. always banging on about ‘creating our own Silicon Valley’. Any moderately successful tech company gets bought out by a foreign owned corporation. Arm Ltd being a recent example.

28mmAtF8 t1_jefseyn wrote

Governments are only as useless as the voting bloc backing them, at least in democracies. Brexit happened because the people weren't really thinking about the consequences.

Iffykindofguy t1_jefn941 wrote

Governments are the only hope we have lol. Its ironic you see that the EU is capable of this but a single actor alone isnt. Hmmmmm

flexaplext t1_jefnwy6 wrote

Yeah. The EU would provide vastly more money and resources. Which could try to make up for its inevitable incompetence and failings.

The UK, on the other hand, will supply a petty budget that won't make a dent. Along with their own fresh servings of incompetence, of course.

Iffykindofguy t1_jefpdy1 wrote

And your solution is to rely on the markets? God?

flexaplext t1_jefrxdi wrote

No. It's for them to rejoin the EU and probably be even more aligned inside it than they were before. So they're not this pathetic little island trying to take on the likes of the US and China 😂

Iffykindofguy t1_jefs2zs wrote

Ah sorry, I meant generally. You were the one who said goverments cant do anything right? Whats the alternative? Billionaires or gods?

flexaplext t1_jefsxdn wrote

Yeah, that's the alternative. And such people will probably win because governments are so useless.

However, I suspect the US government will just forcibly take over OpenAI at some point on the grounds of National Security. They may be useless, but they're good at taking things over.

The same option probably won't exist for the UK government though. Which is why they'd be better joining the EU again and trying something within that union. Of course, with the EU buying out a decent existing company to get themselves started, as I also suggested. 

Or the EU could just fund many different companies and then take over the one that wins out, the US-style plan. To ask the UK try to do this model alone dramatically reduces their funding, company pool and odds of them being successful.

Iffykindofguy t1_jefu3qn wrote

Congrats you fell for capitalist propaganda. Governments can actually be extremely effective, especially when compared to the "market" look at the operating cost of private insurance vs how medicaid operates internally speaking. Where do you see industry absolutely crushing it? Because I see it no where, theyre all too self serving and forced to show immediate growth or theyre removed from power causing long term planning to be impossible. Please, educate yourself.

flexaplext t1_jefw4sn wrote

Yeah, because we don't just see governments knee-jerk reacting to AI now when private enterprise has been developing and investing in it for many years.

And it isn't the most important and dangerous technology that will ever exist and yet they have little to no regulations on it or proper plans going forward for it. Despite this being obvious and known for decades.

And MPs know so much about computer programming, I'm sure they'll be able to know how to lead AI development and appoint the right people to it. Doing so in an efficient and innovative manner

And I'm sure the best programmers will be lining up to work for the government and their military rather than OpenAI and progressive companies.

MajesticIngenuity32 t1_jefvea1 wrote

We got one here in Romania called 'ION' (literally 'John'). But our politicians are too afraid to let it speak freely, seems like it is either not up to par or will say things that are too respectful of them.