Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

dnimeerf t1_ir4hjeg wrote

I never really gave hell much thought until I discovered that Google deepmind now owns the solutions for protein folding and synthesis, and soon, designer drugs. There are a couple of those bad outcomes that come to mind. One is the digital consciousness/copy hell of eternity. Sure, ok. While there are more, immortality is a hell of a different variety. Life is beautiful because it is brief, and fleeting. Fortunately I didn't need 1,000,000 years or more of observation to understand this. I also don't believe myself that damned important that I should be a burden on resources for that long. I at 38 have lived a pretty full life. I have been a father, uncle, brother, Marine, and have travelled and learned another language. I am happy, and looking forward to the great mystery that comes from having lived a natural life, before man tries to meddle with it, causing calamity where there should be peace, and grace.

−7

Wassux t1_ir4u2pb wrote

Look doommongering will always make death seem like a better option. Alphafold will be used to cure diseases. Not to hurt people. You know what it is being used for right now. Why would immortality be hell? And you'd never live another 1,000,000 years if aging wasn't a thing. You'd die by accident at some point, long before you live to 1,000,000. All curing aging does is give you a choice. So you can go when you're ready, not when your 55 to stomach cancer and you haven't been able to see your kids grow up.

If you cannot see the immense suffering this will solve then you mind just isn't ready for the future and death is something you need. Doesn't mean it's a good option for healthy people.

dnimeerf t1_ir556dy wrote

You know, Mr. Salk probably was just as neive and stupid as well meaning people like you. What I have learned in my short life here is that bad people exist. When bad people have powerful fear motivating resources then they tend to use it for evil, like the technology to make vaccines being developed to make weaponized viruses. Now immortality can't be weaponized right? This is how I know you are an idiot. There's a weaponized virus floating in our collective atmosphere and you are genius enough to come here and vote me down because you are afraid of God, death, and your own guilt and shame in the culpability I this mess? I see the suffering, I see how it's being used against our civilization to motivate us to produce these things for much more powerful dangerous people who currently enslave you and your children. The motivation and purpose and intent for this technology will lead to nothing good. This is coming from the center of our civilizations epistemological rupture. Wake up!

−7

Wassux t1_ir5ajh9 wrote

Look man, there is only person living in fear and it's you. I don't fear death, I just prefer living. And if we can make that happen, awesome! If we can't, well at least we tried.

What weaponized virus are you talking about? And vaccines were made to safe lives, so what are you talking about?

I know people like you, gullible and unfortunately not smart enough to see the whole picture. That's not your fault and I hope one day you can live without fear, until then, good luck!

dnimeerf t1_ir5ekvi wrote

I apologize that I engaged with you. It is unfortunate that there are gullible stupid people like you who believe that you are smart by making comments like this, and downvoting mine. Enjoy your stupidity, hopefully it won't last long

−4

Takadeshi t1_ir6yslx wrote

Not sure why you are so upset, everyone else is engaging with you in good faith

whatTheBumfuck t1_ir5367h wrote

Good for you! Enjoy your average lifespan, and try not to belittle others for wanting to experience more of life.

dnimeerf t1_ir55gng wrote

I'm not belittling others about their obvious stupidity. I call it how I see it. You don't want to experience more of "life", you are just afraid, and this reaction comes from the fear of the truth I have revealed here. Don't shoot the messenger, I care about y'all idiots and don't want you making decisions you'll regret before you even make it. Promise Intergalactic society awaits

−5

Gaothaire t1_ir5tywj wrote

> Life is beautiful because it is brief, and fleeting... I at 38 have lived a pretty full life... I am happy, and looking forward to the great mystery

Why die? The dragon is not an implacable tyrant we have to roll over for. The briefness doesn't make it beautiful, the living of it does. Before modern medicine, people naturally died at 40, you can't honestly say you're done with life and want to save the world from your next 40 years of your resource use, can you? You can't escape man meddling with life because you are man, anything you do is natural. What about those sharks that live 400 years, is that too long?

In the biblical tradition, as well as Hindu and others, there was a time when people lived for hundreds of years. Which means being limited to 80 is just a temporary condition, just like the dinosaurs were a temporary condition of life. We didn't get here without evolution, and the idea that stagnation is more beautiful than growth and progress is to spit in the face of the last 3 billion years of biological evolution. What if the first fish to leave the ocean listened to the detractors in his community telling him "it is our lot to live and die in the sea, and to walk on land, wholly unnatural. We shouldn't meddle with the natural order."

The Mysteries are free to explore in Life; "If you die before you die, then you won't die when you die"

dnimeerf t1_ir6g2ys wrote

Why live? How is it a mystery if we stick around for it all? No matter what we'll miss something, or everything. I can promise you there is no wisdom in you if you truly believe as you have written. I pity your lost soul.

unclepiff69 t1_ir4izwr wrote

Im right there with you mang.

−4

dnimeerf t1_ir562pt wrote

Look at all the progress made by naysayers and downvoters. They are so superior and smart, we should all just do whatever our dopamine and fear tell us to. That isn't at all how we got into this mess by being irresponsible hedons right? So if we just keep on things will improve? How long have the elite been calling It progress? Is there real assessment on whether this will ACTUALLY lead to progress, or regression? Will this medicine be available to anyone? Or will it only be available to some people for some reasons? I for one do not wish to trade my freedom and liberty for enslavement and a false sense of security for my fear and dopamine response. Short sighted decisions tend to destroy people and they end up taking those around them down with them because of their desperation. The "cure" likely comes with strings attached, like "the mark"

−1