Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_ira3nb2 wrote

I dunno theres still the big question of walking into bathrooms with these things and how to actually enforce it. With a phone its obvious when you're using it for recording video. Even audio is a bit more obvious because if you just had the thing in your pocket, audio will be muffled.

So people are not going to feel comfortable seeing all these folks with glasses on not knowing who is seeing what and why.

But you're right, people here need to realize nobody is going to walk around wearing huge headsets.

Now, something like driving with this on could potentially be really nice because you could maybe figure out a way to virtually remove some of your blindspots, like the two support beams at the edge of your windshield... maybe.

But even without that it could be useful, my GPS and speedometer being there would really remove the need for me to move my eyes completely away from the road. It allows me to get the information I need while still maintaining good peripheral vision.

But at the same time self driving cars are becoming a thing...

Cycling with this could be cool too, for the same reasons.

Beyond that, I see these taking off in workplaces and niches first

superluminary t1_ira71qx wrote

It opens up another realm of stalking. It’ll be doing facial recognition and automatically tagging people with their Facebook, Twitter, Tinder, OF, etc.

[deleted] t1_ira9psh wrote

Use the NSFW broadcaster extension to publicly broadcast your sexual desires to those who seek them.

Oh god

GinchAnon t1_irajvmk wrote

I think that there is a legitimate problem to that, and I really have no idea how to solve it that doesn't just have a degree of trust that people won't circumvent it for their device.

I could also see that turning out to not be as big of an issue as people might expect.

if we can get to having real time processed pass through with little enough lag and reliable enough, basically simulating blind-spot correction that we naturally have, and applying it to things like support beams in a car, seems like it should be doable and useful.

though keeping it safe when such mechanisms FAIL is where it could be really tricky.

[deleted] t1_iralq7p wrote

>though keeping it safe when such mechanisms FAIL is where it could be really tricky.

100% - oh yeah. I almost wonder if - especially if you're using it for driving that it could have a manual eject that flips the lenses out so it's impossible for it to obstruct your eyes. Imagine that shit just filled the entire thing with some crash screen or popup, my god. You want to be able to quickly and physically press a button or something. Although if they're simple glasses you could just smack em off and grab the wheel.