Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

IndependenceRound453 t1_iw1ne7n wrote

>no stupid copyright

Who gives a damn about the rule of law, amirite?

Edit: Getting downvoted for supporting the rule of law. Wow.

−8

WickedDemiurge t1_iw3ly2r wrote

>Who gives a damn about the rule of law, amirite?

No morally decent person cares about this all that much. If you do, you support Iran executing teen girls for protesting for human rights.

​

The better question is whether copyright lines up well with economic incentives and ethics, and that's a long discussion. The TLDR is it does more good than harm at present, but there is a lot of harm in the process and it might not always be the best way of organizing art.

visarga t1_iw4jdkc wrote

Copyright law generally protects the fixation of an idea in a “tangible medium of expression,” not the idea itself, or any processes or principles associated.

Neural networks don't store images inside, they decompose these images into elementary concepts and then recompose new images from such concepts. Basically they learn the unprotected part of the training set.

Think about it in size: 4 billion images shrunk into 4GB, that means a measly byte per input image. Not even a full pixel! It certainly has no space to store those images. It can only store general principles.

Getting offended for having a single byte learned from one of your images seems unjustified. On the other hand it looks ugly how pre-AI artists are gatekeeping the new wave of AI assisted artists. Let people eat cake.

footurist t1_iw3nh4i wrote

I feel like this whole AI art thing exposes a lot of people with questionable ethics and morality. It's kind of a shock really when you witness this widespread obnoxious behavior and lack of empathy... But such is life I guess, lol.

−3