Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ReadSeparate t1_iw3ivdm wrote

Let me clarify, I’m not saying it will go away as a hobby or as a passion, just the percentage of people who are doing it for money will be a TINY fraction of those who are doing it for money today.

Think of the numbers of horses being used for transportation today vs the number of horses being used for transportation before the invention of cars. Horses for transportation are irrelevant today compared to back then.

visarga t1_iw4gbng wrote

Before the PC there were plenty of professional typists and secretaries. Their jobs disappeared or were transformed, and we got an even larger number of office jobs on PC.

Generative AI will support jobs in many fields - medicine, design, advertising, hobbies and fan fiction. Art itself might get a paradigm shift soon, as humans strive to find something AI can't do. The same happened when photography was popularised, and look how many more uses photography has then painting used to have.

ReadSeparate t1_iw4nifp wrote

I’m not saying this group of people are going to be permanently unemployed, I’m saying they’re not going to be making art for money. Many of them may facilitate the process somehow, like prompt engineering, etc, but that’s very different and FAR less time consuming than actually creating art.