Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

apinanaivot t1_iy3fypj wrote

Except thanks to new lens technology, that's no longer the case. The industry is moving from expensive fresnel lenses towards pancake lenses, the Quest Pro and Pico 4 headsets that were released a few months ago already feature such lenses.

The pico 4 costs 400€, and has a built-in mobile gaming computer, batteries and two 2K displays, there is no way the lenses cost anywhere near 200€, and on top of that the new pancake lenses fix all the issues frensel lenses had, such as terrible light glares, distortion, requiring thick headsets, and no adjustment options for people with myopia (now you don't need to wear glasses in VR anymore).

botfiddler t1_iy3rjfc wrote

>(now you don't need to wear glasses in VR anymore).

Aaahhww, good to know, thanks. This was the showstopper or delay for me.

earthsworld t1_iy3pnwk wrote

and? It's still a headset and no one is going to be leaving their house wearing one. Nor will people be sitting around on their couch for hours doing the same.

apinanaivot t1_iy3qsa3 wrote

> It's still a headset and no one is going to be leaving their house wearing one.

That's not the point of VR, which is for "escaping" the real reality. What you are describing would be AR (augmented reality).

> Nor will people be sitting around on their couch for hours doing the same.

There are literally tons of people right now who are spending more time in virtual reality than in actual reality, I recommend checking this video out. I personally have spent over 500 hours in VR, and the only thing stopping me from playing more right now is the shortage of high-quality VR experiences.

butterdrinker t1_iy5mson wrote

Are you sure its a new type of lens? By a quick search pancake lenses were also present in the 70s.

I mean, yeah companies are trying different techniques to build better VR visors - but its not there are major technological breakthroughs in the optics research side