Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

FilthyCommieAccount t1_iyvz52v wrote

Reply to comment by TinyBurbz in this sub by TinyBurbz

Yeah that's ridiculous AI art is not better than humans right now but I would be careful with the argument it can't get better than us because it was trained on human data argument. We have models that perform at superhuman levels that were trained on nothing but human data. Really image generation and deep learning in general are young fields that are changing fast. It's very likely in the next few years we will see image generation systems approach human skill level.

Also stability AI is currently working on a completely licenced dataset in which they've either bought the rights to the art or it's copyright free. I don't think this will stop artist's anger one bit lol because ultimately it has nothing to do with perceived theft, that's just a rationalization and everything to do with the fear of replacement/unemployment or loss of the thing that gave them their identity.

TinyBurbz OP t1_iywkju4 wrote

>Yeah that's ridiculous AI art is not better than humans right now but I would be careful with the argument it can't get better than us because it was trained on human data argument. We have models that perform at superhuman levels that were trained on nothing but human data.

In what regard? What do you mean by 'better'

FilthyCommieAccount t1_iyx6lrk wrote

In the economic sense. Where instead of hiring a professional artist even for high quality artistic products in a corporate environment it would be more effective to use a machine learning model unless the client specifically wanted something handmade for sentimental reasons. Right now we're aren't there yet because AI still struggles with a lot of stuff like hands and specificity but that won't always be the case.

TinyBurbz OP t1_iyxaq14 wrote

I actually use AI for texture work myself. This tech is definitely going to displace a lot of labor.... but I have low expectations for productions who use AI for everything.

FilthyCommieAccount t1_iyxvxrd wrote

I agree short term. Ten years from now though I think there's a case to be made that the market for digital visual artists is going to look a lot like the market for work horses. Very niche and not really a viable career option for aspiring creatives. Image models will be so good by then that it literally won't make sense to employ a human to do it.

TinyBurbz OP t1_iyxxvqm wrote

>Ten years from now though I think there's a case to be made that the market for digital visual artists is going to look a lot like the market for work horses

So human made art will be an expensive highly valuable luxury item? Sounds like aspiring creatives can get very far.

FilthyCommieAccount t1_iyz695l wrote

Not really. The market will be very small. Like ask yourself was it easier making a living as a handcrafted furniture builder (or just craftsman in general) before industrialization? Yeah because now the vast majority of the market but stuff made from an assembly line. Sure there's a very small group of elite furniture builders that stuck around but in general it was bad for the people who did that for a living. This is the assembly line for digital art.