Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ILoveJimHarbaugh t1_itzhpih wrote

The study done to conclude this is cool and useful.

The way news outlets are framing it is a bit less useful.

Microbes surviving under the surface is contingent upon life having ever existed on Mars which is still just as unknown as it was before the study.

It's kind of like a headline saying, "Atlantis may have surviving buildings at the bottom of the ocean." But the study they are quoting is simply studying the longevity of structures underwater - NOT saying anything about Atlantis actually being real.

Gravelsack t1_itznssf wrote

I always roll my eyes at any "life on Mars" article. It's always the same song and dance.

froggison t1_iu074kq wrote

Yeah it's the point where they're going to find whole species of multicellular life still swimming around over there, and I'll still reflexively skip the articles. Lol for a solid week I'll still be rolling my eyes at "all the click bait".

lobsterbash t1_iu0gdq1 wrote

Science is already fascinating and worthy of clicks without lying and baiting. I don't understand why mass media feels like it has to constantly take a steaming dump on science journalism.

MadNhater t1_iu0vuax wrote

Because the majority of people don’t find science cool unless something blows up

ti_84_plus t1_iu1k16m wrote

Myth busters is a good example of blowing shit up getting people very engaged in science topics.

OCE_Mythical t1_iu1w9uc wrote

Yeah it's not the stories it's the low effort story telling online "journalists" use to convey them. I'd hate science too if my only exposure was daily mail.

Aethelric t1_iu2rdwn wrote

>Science is already fascinating and worthy of clicks without lying and baiting

Sure! But, in a vicious media economy where very few people will actually pay you money directly for your product, sites will be heavily incentivized to seek clicks (i.e. ad revenue) at the expense of all else. Until that incentive is removed, expect this to keep happening.

Because the truth is: Everyone here complains about these sorts of posts ad nauseum, but they're still posted, still upvoted, and still generate a ton of discussion and eyeballs. We've voted with our clicks, and clickbait won.

theta0123 t1_itzdcvu wrote

I hope i live old enough to see humans land on mars.. (31 y old now)

FeistmasterFlex t1_itzj9mw wrote

Take care of yourself and you will.

theta0123 t1_itzju0n wrote

Well i dont smoke, only drink alcohol on occasion, eat balanced and no drugs.

That being said.. *drinks his 5th cup of coffee

lezarian t1_itzl2k2 wrote

Only 95 more and you can slow time. Be the next Fry and live forever. haha

TreehouseJesus t1_iu0sxcq wrote

We'll be there in the next 10 years. He could do the drug of his choice every weekend between now and then and still be alive to see it. But obviously don't do that

LeftistEddie t1_iu0exo4 wrote

Uh unfortunately without us collectively taking care of the planet and its health, none of us will live to see humans on Mars

FeistmasterFlex t1_iu0ichv wrote

If by "us collectively" you mean the massive corporations currently in charge of legislature, sure. But also, from what I hear, we're starting to beat climate change.

LeftistEddie t1_iu0u5de wrote

I would love some sources you could point me to about "starting to beat climate change" and by us collectively yes I mean forcing our government to crack down and work for us and the planet, but they wont and we wont force them because most people are still blind to the climate crisis, plastics crisis, waste crisis etc.

GUMBYtheOG t1_iu2xvw9 wrote

Hear that bus?! Can’t hit me unexpectedly if I take care of myself

FeistmasterFlex t1_iu40j1x wrote

Yes, this is actually a little known fact. By universal law bus drivers are obligated to avoid people who take care of themselves. If this law is broken, spacetime will warp to prevent the collision and the driver will be prosecuted accordingly.

BigDaddyCool17 t1_itzg7jd wrote

If you've ever seen any science fiction movie ever, please don't bring them back to earth to study.

Penguigo t1_iu04pg5 wrote

The Movie 'Life' from a few years ago immediately came to mind! Literally about a single celled organism found on Mars that was dormant but still alive.

iChronocos t1_itzlylg wrote

Ahh mars flu. If the past two years have taught me anything, this will be just fine.

malcontented t1_iu02fb6 wrote

Title and first line are misleading

“Ancient bacteria might be sleeping beneath the surface of Mars, where it has been shielded from the harsh radiation of space for millions of years, according to new research.”

Should read: “Ancient bacteria (if it ever existed there) might be sleeping beneath the surface of Mars, where it has been shielded from the harsh radiation of space for millions of years, according to new research.”

Aethelric t1_iu2rj8r wrote

If you feel that the title is confidently stating that the microbes existed, the problem is yours and not the article's title.

malcontented t1_iu2skui wrote

Ok so 3rd grade English review, “Ancient microbes” in the title without any qualifiers explicitly states there were ancient microbes.

Hope this helps with your reading comprehension

−1

Aethelric t1_iu4owuj wrote

I guess if you're bringing the preexisting knowledge of an illiterate child to the equation, which seems likely, that'd be true. Since anyone with even a smattering of knowledge about space knows that we haven't explicitly proved that life exists, the meaning here is clear.

malcontented t1_iu4qqgf wrote

This was in CNN jerkoff. It’s a general audience and, at best, it was an oversight. At worst it was deliberately misleading

Aethelric t1_iu4xnc1 wrote

Do you genuinely think that most people reading this go "ah, there must have been life on Mars that I've just never heard about"?

malcontented t1_iu6mc4q wrote

If you ask the average CNN viewer if we’ve discovered any evidence of microbial life on Mars either currently alive or ancient I’m guessing the percent answering “yes” would be significantly different from zero.

Aethelric t1_iu6mub4 wrote

Sure, but basing your approach to news as "what would the stupidest person draw from this" would make news far worse than clickbait.

PAROV_WOLFGANG t1_itzirhl wrote

IF such a thing exist then I would recommend that we do NOT bring them back to Earth.

smokebomb_exe t1_itzlxrh wrote

Haven't we been told this for like 20 years now

unknowndeus t1_iu1a6hb wrote

They need to keep all specimens onboard a space station with a nuke ready to detonate Incase of containment breach. Don't bring that crap back to earth.

AllMyFrendsArePixels t1_iu2ob8m wrote

a lot of things "may have" happened. call me if it ever gets confirmed because THAT would be exciting news.

NickitOff t1_itzprpo wrote

They may have survived? Well, not now! You exposed their location; game over man!

Thepandarammer t1_itzrdto wrote

I’m loaded up on cold medicine and thought this said Micro-bees.

While not as exciting as micro bees with tons of micro hives, microbes are pretty damn cool too! It’s incredible that they can likely survive 280million years if deep enough!

ajhart86 t1_iu0ts18 wrote

I skimmed over it as “microbrews”

These Martians know how to party

2muchcheap t1_iu0ievz wrote

"Aliens MAY be here among us living in our buttholes"

Darkwisper222 t1_iu104sc wrote

I see a post like this like twice a year for the last 20 years.

ForsakenWebNinja t1_iu119sg wrote

Yes and I may win the lottery some day. Keyword there is “may”

I hope both turn out to be true though…

BongyBoy2025 t1_iu2dljl wrote

I imagine it would wipe all humans out similar to how smallpox wiped out entire cities in the South American continent (lost cities, maybe millions of people) when European explorers first sailed through

100 years later another guy sails through and says the first guy was lying about how there were cities on the amazon river (The jungle overgrew the empty cities, and these lost cities are now being discovered due to Lidar scanning and also deforestation)

PB_Mack t1_iu2rzhm wrote

I doubt it. I think any microbes would have migrated toward the sun for the energy. You'd see soemthing on the surface that could handle the environment.

Tannir48 t1_iu029ri wrote

Pretty annoying to see people discounting these articles.

The point of the study is to demonstrate that life could have 1) existed and 2) could still exist on Mars with realistic parameters, likely in the immediate or deep subsurface depending on the location and microbe. This was successfully demonstrated with a particular bacteria surviving for up to 280 million years in the subsurface. This helps illustrate possible risks and discoveries possible on Mars.

−1

Bensemus t1_iu12o3r wrote

They aren’t discounting the actual study. They are discounting the article that doesn’t understand the study it’s reporting on.

Tannir48 t1_iu16ypf wrote

What I wrote is literally what I ascertained from reading the article. People are just clowning cause the headline is a little clickbait

sirbruce t1_iu0gdah wrote

Not only may they have, they did, and Viking discovered it, and NASA discounted it because they didn't think it was possible at the time.

−3

[deleted] t1_itzinys wrote

[removed]

−19

[deleted] t1_itzumbo wrote

[removed]