Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Throwawaycuzawkward t1_ix3yv1t wrote

You don't immediately die in zero pressure. But your blood - and all of the liquid in your body - does try to boil.

And this has happened to people. One of them lived.

This_Username_42 t1_ix4r519 wrote

To clarify for any layfolk — you don’t boil as in “getting hot”. The pressure drop means that the boiling point of water is lower than body temp, so the liquid will turn to a vapor and escape the body (high pressure moves to low pressure), which will remove heat from your body

So you’re not on the stove boiling, you’re stuck in a (painful) freeze dryer

Throwawaycuzawkward t1_ix4s6ee wrote

Yeah, I mentioned "zero pressure" with the idea that was understood. But I get why it's not.

I also failed to mention that the most horrific part is that the human body - unlike the ISS or the SLS - is built by evolution to create homeostasis under all conditions.

Your skin is, in fact, a skin-diving suit for all conditions. And it tries really hard not to let you die, even when the liquid in your body is trying to change state.

Ok, Now I'm just being gratuitous. Must be Spooky Season.

This_Username_42 t1_ix4sndp wrote

I like your comment and agree, and in some ways I think the freeze-dry flavor of boiling might even be spookier to many people.

People have been getting boiled for a lot of human history, but not freeze dried — that’s some space-age torture

skrillums t1_ix430pf wrote

A super nova within 25 to 50 light years would wipe out all life on earth. The worst part is we would never see it comming.

ProphetMoham t1_ix4ioo1 wrote

But we would be able to anticipate it. It's not like it supernovae happen at random.

skrillums t1_ix4iw5h wrote

I don't think so due to everything that is ejected/emitted would be traveling at the speed of light or at a high fraction of the speed of light. Like if we see a super nova and the math says it's 160 million light years away that happened 160 million years ago and were just now seeing it.

BRaDyS12 t1_ix4kgqw wrote

But we would most likely see the star change luminosity rapidly as it tries to keep itself together

usernamechecksout458 t1_ix5iarb wrote

We could predict it somewhat. Just like we r predicting rn that betelgeuse will go supernova.

sorped t1_ix4h0xh wrote

As for ways to go, that wouldn't be a bad one.

skrillums t1_ix4hkv3 wrote

Indeed just a flash and that's game over.

zingzingtv t1_ix41rr1 wrote

Laika (Russian: Лайка; c. 1954 – 3 November 1957) was a Soviet space dog who was one of the first animals in space and the first to orbit the Earth. A stray mongrel from the streets of Moscow, she flew aboard the Sputnik 2 spacecraft, launched into low orbit on 3 November 1957. As the technology to de-orbit had not yet been developed, Laika's survival was never expected. She died of overheating hours into the flight, on the craft's fourth orbit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laika

JustAScaredDude t1_ix3zx3g wrote

Not exactly a fact, but The Fermi Paradox is unsettling.

Devanismyname t1_ix46r4c wrote

People say this one a lot, but I have thought of a few possibilities as for the reason we haven't seen life yet. Perhaps before a species becomes noticeable, they discover a different way to exist, such as VR. So instead of exploring the galaxy in the real world, they simply create some kind of full dive VR world to explore instead. Maybe aliens simply hide their presence, and the window of time we can discover them is the point in time they have the ability to broadcast their presence to point where they realize its not a good idea, which we've already done ourselves at this point.

AshFromTheStands t1_ix4a5rq wrote

I’ve considered that a much more intelligent species (wouldn’t take much haha) likely no longer have a need to know if life exists elsewhere. They’ve come to terms with the size and scope of the universe, and their resources are employed much more efficiently for their species.

tewnewt t1_ix4ta7c wrote

The slightest push without a umbilical cord could send you traveling almost indefinitely depending on what little gravity you encounter.

M4d_Martigan t1_ix96dsv wrote

Near the earth at the altitude we currently work at, the atmosphere will eventually slow you down and grant you a fiery burial. But in deep space yeah you could become an space mummy floating aimlessly for potentially millions or billions of years. While our planet will erase almost every visible trace of us in a mere few thousands.

dakd2 t1_ix5q104 wrote

there is still planetary dust the same from which earth formed in the trayectory earth moves around the sun and this dust reflects sunlight and gets hot, it looks like earth is making its way through this dust somehow by spinning rather than just moving around the sun and the dust left behind earth trayectory tries to form clumps...

lomendil t1_ix5ox97 wrote

Our universe is inside something, or it isn't.

jpowell180 t1_ix4041r wrote

In space, no one can hear you scream. Especially if you’re being chased by an evil space monster that was engineered by a psychopathic android who got nearly everyone killed when asking for three glasses of whiskey.

jpowell180 t1_ix403h1 wrote

In space, no one can hear you scream. Especially if you’re being chased by an evil space monster that was engineered by a psychopathic android who got nearly everyone killed when asking for three glasses of whiskey.

−4