Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Sleepdprived t1_j0fp2ky wrote

So a group of workers sent to a distant land to exploit its resources... a robot COLONY

LordIlthari t1_j0fq57q wrote

Let me clarify my point. I do not think that there should be any sort of mass human settlement on Mars or attempt to use Mars as a second earth. That is what I am referring to with colonization. No dome cities or ridiculous ideas of terraforming.

Sleepdprived t1_j0fqo8q wrote

So... dome cities on a planet with tiny atmospheric pressure and lower gravity= unrealistic, ridiculous, outlandish, too hard

Planetcracking Mars to manufacture habitable microplanets in space= realistic, practical, straightforward, easy project...

I do not think your point is clarified. We will need to go to Mars at some point. The size of the colony doesn't matter. We have to colonize mars as a stepping stone to go farther. We may eventually do what you are saying. But that would be after the easier projects.

SuperRette t1_j0g2tc0 wrote

We can't survive on Mars. Period.

Not unless we want to stay human. If we don't, then genetic modifications are the way to go; but there will then be two sapient species in the Sol system competing for resources.

Sleepdprived t1_j0g591t wrote

One; that was not the previous discussion between myself and the other fellow.

Two; isolated cities in caped craters or tented canyons would totally give us room to make habitable for scientists workers and tourists.

Three: your first sentence is a little jumbled, Not unless we don't want to stay human- is what I think you may have meant.

Four: we cannot easily predict where ai assisted science will do for us. Maybe we will find a way to live on mars with better medicines involving new proteins and enzymes folded by nano-materials thought of by very powerful machines.