Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

flyingjesuit t1_j5v7760 wrote

New Mars Volta album about spirits residing in mushrooms and eating humans to experience hallucinations dropping in 3…2…1

alexxerth t1_j5v9cbx wrote

I'm a little confused.

>Therefore, sending extremely compact, lightweight materials — like algae starts, mushroom spores, and thin plastic molds — that will then “grow” into significantly larger structures has tremendous appeal.

So where's the mass of the structure coming from then?

It's gotta come from somewhere. On earth there's an atmosphere that it can draw most of that from, but on the moon they'd have to bring that with them. It's compact, but the weight would be relatively similar to just bringing pre-grown mushroom bricks, no?

Tentacle_poxsicle t1_j5v9huj wrote

I'll be honest, I cannot really see this being a thing for space anytime soon.

LitLitten t1_j5vc1ix wrote

They do require C and N as macronutrients like plants, but this mainly comes from feeding on tree roots or directly off of organic matter. Plants are mostly an outlier in that their carbon is acquired through respiration.

Either way, you probably need a bit of mass as either soil or some other form of organic matter to feed fungus, which is probably heavy. There’s also the issue of providing them o2 and dealing with the co2 they emit.

JustAPerspective t1_j5vgtp8 wrote

Unfortunately most people would be obliged to live at the base of such structures... >!😎 cuz there ain't mushroom on top.!<

dromni t1_j5vi3dt wrote

Bad idea. The Last of Us told me that eventually the shroom buildings will mutate and assimilate the human dwellers, converting them into monstrosities connected by a hive mind.

SpectralMagic t1_j5vlnsc wrote

I can just imagine some space base with mycelium sprouting out from between the modular wall panels. I think this is a bit unrealistic since mycelium is pretty much always alive, like the whole thing is a seed. So unless you kill it and make it leave behind a husk it's just going to cause trouble.

I'm actually just making a biased opinion/guess here, so I'm certain I'm only half correct, but yea I don't see this being a true solution when other expanding/growing insulation also works

Omnitographer t1_j5vr8sp wrote

I could see growing mushrooms for primary food source like The Expanse's "kibble", but having us live like some kind of Seleno Kabouter Plop village seems a bit far fetched.

danielravennest t1_j5vu17b wrote

As I suspected, this idea is from architects, who come up with nice looking but impractical designs. It is left up to us engineers to make something practical that works.

LiCHtsLiCH t1_j5vvzrk wrote

Fungi are f'n strange. Ive said it before but people never really grasped the idea. They kinda self assemble, not like a plant or an animal, they need all the pieces, then they kinda manifest, animals and plants make pieces, then assemble... Bad job trying to say what I'm trying to say. But yeah fungi dont do it by combustion, animals and plants do it by oxidization, combustion, but they need perfect conditions. I know people are freaking out about how little they know about things, but fungi are pretty simple, vinegar is to them, what alcohol is to bacteria.

Anyway, this sounds hilarious to me, setting up a musroom wall is not as easy as compressing bricks, especially if you are boring, imagine studying this 15 years ago... then using geo sciences realizing top soil has an astounding amount of organic material in it, stufff just bubbels up out of the ground, you can light it on fire...

Then you get organic material less soil, there is none, little bit of water crystalizes into brick, then tube shape(an interlacing brick design) after a quick dehydrate, no need for fungi, but they do grow well in low light situations... i get it misheard, walls covered in fungi, not made out of fungi *burps*

cool

ReasonableYak7982 t1_j5vwkqq wrote

Could you imagine doing shrooms on the moon? New album name for sure

KenethSargatanas t1_j5w232a wrote

My guess is that they will extract it from lunar regolith. The Moon has all of the major elements of life just lying around. It true that it's not in the same proportions as Earth, and it will take time and effort to develop the processes to obtain and process them, but they are there.

abominableunbannable t1_j5w8sfo wrote

Or- get this- stop funneling taxpayer dollars into random embezzlement schemes and just use it to fund space exploration!

CoconutBuddy t1_j5wb9bl wrote

Yeah all nice and well but you still have the isst of moondust to deal with

dragonmom1 t1_j5wdoxe wrote

Perfect timing to be talking about this when The Last Of Us series has just come out... lol

moreofahodor t1_j5wn3i2 wrote

The SPACE FUTURE just got a little more fantastic.

Accomplished-Crab932 t1_j5wnywd wrote

It’s not really going to be that much of an issue, we’ve proven time and time again with our various rovers that dust is a minor issue for equipment that has been pretty much solved.

Crewed systems are also being developed as to reduce dust exposure, and the actual risk is minimal. It was an issue for Apollo because we didn’t know the severity of the problem until we got there. We now know what the surface is like, and so, we can plan ahead.

sordidcandles t1_j5woj5y wrote

I had my first ever shroom trip last year, followed by two more trips spaced out by a couple months, and they were all superb. Had some freaky moments but it was mostly all amazing and changed how I see the world a bit.

I hope as weed becomes legal and accepted in more parts of America, shrooms do too. I think the potential benefits for some folks are great. Massachusetts is working on it!

JaymeMalice t1_j5wouxw wrote

Bloody Telvanni trying to build on Masser, it'll only end in trouble!

But seriously this is neat!

farticustheelder t1_j5wq6s0 wrote

Not to be overly critical but this thing just bent the needle on my BS meter!

Folks, take a good look at 3D printing. We can 3D print metals, ceramics, and stone!

Yes! 3D print Lunar habitats out of Lunar materials! Martian habitats out of Martian materials!

Growing mushrooms is neat. Growing them in space is neat. So why all the BS about them being anything more than a pizza topping?

grieving_magpie t1_j5wrgzr wrote

Mushrooms and other fungi are simply amazing. It seems like there’s nothing that they cannot do.

The_Solar_Oracle t1_j5wznpu wrote

Separating aluminum from oxygen on the Moon in the first place is a little tricky

Unlike Earth, where most aluminum is recovered from bauxite using the Bayer process (producing alumina, or aluminum oxide) and then the Hall–Héroult process, aluminum on the Moon is overwhelmingly anorthite that cannot be processed in the same way.

Instead, more energy intensive methods must be used. Perhaps the most favored alternative is using the FFS Cambridge Process (typically used on titanium oxides), as detailed in Ellery et al.'s FFC Cambridge Process and Metallic 3d Printing for Deep In-Situ Resource Utilization - A Match Made on the Moon. Energy production may be an issue, especially if all the refining has to take place on the Moon, where nuclear power would have to employ enormous or very high output radiators to shed their waste heat and where Lunar nights can reduce Solar power input.

Dman_Vancity t1_j5x7fq6 wrote

You’d have to BE ON SHROOMS to believe any of this crap 😆

cykboydev t1_j5xrvo2 wrote

It can work, the telvanni of morrowind do this often

Songhunter t1_j5y2vcq wrote

I don't know how great of an idea is to live on houses made by architects high on shrooms in Earth, let alone the Moon or Mars.

oreo760 t1_j5y4q7p wrote

I don’t like this idea after watching the first two episodes of The Last Of Us ☹️

Dyerssorrow t1_j5ygb40 wrote

Did China grow a few things back in 2019 on the moon? I cant remember if it was successful or not.

WitDaShtz t1_j5yhgiq wrote

Someone’s spent a little too much time in the mushroom biomes of Minecraft

CyberneticPanda t1_j5zjimm wrote

The first ones will probably be set up at the south pole with solar panels on the rims of craters that get sunlight all year except during a lunar eclipse, but there are stable orbits at Lagrange points. Since the moon has no atmosphere microwave power transmission would be pretty effective.

The_Solar_Oracle t1_j5zn0um wrote

While Solar Power Satellites for Earth are normally depicted as being used from a geostationary orbit, you can conceivably use them in other orbits provided you have at least two or three or so to provide continual coverage. Molniya orbits, for example, are a popular suggestion for Earth SPS to provide energy directly to higher latitudes.

LitLitten t1_j60kx56 wrote

I wonder if inevitably the best approach will end up being taking advantage to some of the darkest craters and outfitting them as nuclear reactor heat sinks.

Could feasibly (?) bore a surface-subsurface tunnel for management from within the crater for necessary lab and maintenance habitation. Connect to other craters in this manner for production and so forth.

HearTheRaven t1_j619trv wrote

> I see nothing wrong with a factory which operates only for 2 weeks any month

Do all the energy-intensive processing during the day

Do all the manpower intensive maintenance at night

Just a scheduling problem

mrbibs350 t1_j62ii2t wrote

I think so....

Locate at one of the craters with permanent shadow where ice forms. Use excess energy to melt the ice and pump water to the top of the crater. Let it flow during lunar night to cover the lapse in solar power.

codesnik t1_j643y7o wrote

I see zero reason to use darkest anything for heatsinks. You don't have (external) convection on the Moon, so you have a) radiation, b) direct heat transfer. Radiation doesn't care, just protect radiators from the incoming radiation. Just rotating radiators 90 to the sunlight direction into the sky is enough. Direct transfer would satiate stone around it pretty quickly even if it was in the dark for million of years. If you go under the surface with some kind of pipes, it again doesn't matter, if it's in a crater or on a moon plain on a moon noon.

LitLitten t1_j647756 wrote

Ah my apologies.

I falsely assumed that the regolith of impact areas would be pliable enough to serve as a heat sink, but you’re right—sand, gravel et al. are awful conductors.

Are there feasible methods for keeping lunar dust from magnetically clumping to radiators? I recall it was a concern for grounded solar arrays.

Significant_Owl8496 t1_j657ago wrote

The Space Force better start their Spartan training program if it’s going to kick off the flood smh