Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

milliquas t1_j3m4ux8 wrote

As I understand it: Think of spacetime as a fabric that covers the entire universe. When the fabric is warped by objects with mass, time is warped as well. Like if you put a bowling ball on a bedsheet and it made a divot — that’s sort of analogous to how gravity works, but the key point is that warping ALSO affects time. Where gravity is stronger (eg closer to the center of the bowling ball) means time is slowed further, and infinite density at a point (a singularity in a black hole) causes a “rip” in the fabric that makes time infinite (as perceived by an outside observer) for someone who crosses the event horizon of a black hole. Nobody knows what would happen inside.

If you’re interested in this and want a book that explains it clearly, try The Order of Time by Carlo Rovelli.

dingadangdang t1_j3mgtgd wrote

Early on the easiest thing I thought about was 2 exact same clocks on 2 different planets. Planet A has 2x the gravity as Planet B. Time should run twice fast on Planet B. I realize this is probably oversimplified and I may have read it as an example.

Fantastic book called "About Time" by physicist Paul Davies is a great introduction to some of this.