Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

captaincumsock69 t1_j7z905s wrote

I’ll always respect Russ for the work he does with the pediatric cancer hospitals

breezefortrees t1_j7zo90w wrote

Idk if I'd be so sure, I had seen another reddit thread pop up today about his employees recovering more money than they use for the actual charity

Deiseltwothree t1_j7zv356 wrote

I believe there is a website that tracks big charities, and I am pretty sure most of them are like this....and that sucks.

Ritsku t1_j8150o4 wrote

Yeah most charities aren’t in fact for charity. They’re for tax write offs and big profits.

scootscooterson t1_j821r8t wrote

Let’s distinguish between poorly run charities and grifts like this where more than half is just going straight to pockets

Raeandray t1_j80adwt wrote

While true, he physically attends the pediatric hospital every Tuesday. So that at least is legit.

Eswyft t1_j7zvnle wrote

There are over head costs for charity. That's reality. You're going to need to be a lot more specific

Gobblewicket t1_j802437 wrote

Russell's charity reportedly spen more on employees than doing actual charitable works. They spen $600,00 on charity and $1.1 million on salaries from 2020-21. Ryan Tarpley, CEO of the charity, made double industry standard in salary. He is also Chief Strategy Officer for the Wilson's home office, which is illegal double dipping.

If you want to become infuriated, Yahoo! has a good story on it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/russell-wilsons-why-not-you-foundation-reportedly-spent-more-on-employee-salaries-than-charitable-activities-185532088.html

As a bonus, the Wilson Celebrity Golf Tournament boasted about $2million in donations to a Seattle children's hospital. But in actuality only donated $78,000 while the Tournament itself cost $800,000.

Eswyft t1_j8030u6 wrote

That's bad. Thank you for the source

drmcsinister t1_j80mo2g wrote

Those are pretty abysmal ratios. Who is this Ryan Tarpley guy? I'm assuming a close friend...

RevengencerAlf t1_j80c0rc wrote

Overhead is a real thing but it should be reasonable. I think the exact line of acceptable costs is easily debatable but his charities are reportedly spending over 50% of their income on overhead and I'd like to think any rational person would say that's too much to justify the existence of the entity if true.

[deleted] t1_j7zkn3x wrote

[deleted]

captaincumsock69 t1_j7zkwu5 wrote

This foundation has nothing to do with pediatric cancer? It’s a separate thing. The goal of this charity is helping kids who live in poverty

Bologna-Bear t1_j7zlb50 wrote

I can’t read apparently.

captaincumsock69 t1_j7zlst2 wrote

There might be some overlap tbh I don’t know the exact details but I just was referring to how he would constantly show up to meet with kids who have cancer and try and brighten their day even a little bit. I mean there’s like hundreds to thousands of pictures where it looks like he just got out of bed to hangout with these kids

anon675454 t1_j80ffg3 wrote

it’s a shame your country needs to rely on charity from the richies for children to survive disease

−6

Seahawk715 t1_j80jxir wrote

Wow. How big is the rock you’re living under??