Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

sctt_dot t1_ix3c57u wrote

The article about why you should pirate online media... it's behind a pay wall. Brilliant!

i_have_chosen_a_name t1_ix45mj2 wrote

You can pirate it by temp switching off javascript or like use one of hundred browsers extensions that can bypass 99% of paywals with ease.

sctt_dot t1_ix6pt0r wrote

Print Friendly is what I usually use.

fortoxals OP t1_ix3c975 wrote

Not intentional!

sctt_dot t1_ix3d848 wrote

It's wonderfully meta

fortoxals OP t1_ix3e30y wrote

I can read it, do I have financial times? I don't want to have financial times

hubaloza t1_ix3tq4n wrote

Some sites that use pay walls also do first visit freebies like coke dealers trying to get people hooked.

Slutzlo t1_ix5liqr wrote

Just grab a ladder! I think a 12 foot tall would would be sufficient

Guiltykraken t1_ix4umq2 wrote

They just want to give you some practice before the cup

elpajaroquemamais t1_ix7vd0h wrote

Small distinction though: it’s not saying you should pirate all online media, just the World Cup.

NagoyaR t1_ix52llr wrote

I think this is the first world cup im not even the slightest bit of interested in watching. Teams should have boycotted Qatar being host and just not gone there.

Szepesh t1_ix8h57s wrote

100% agree. Im not even tempted to watch this year’s World Cup. It was corruptly assigned, Qatar essentially legalized slavery to build stadiums and hotels, thousands died due to Qataris treating the people building World Cup projects as sub-human, they have a horrible human rights record for LGBT rights, they have banned Jews from praying and and banned stadiums from selling kosher food, the list goes on and on. Watching this tournament legally or illegally sends the message that people want entertainment above human rights and a non-corrupt FIFA.

Sids1188 t1_ixbt7a3 wrote

As someone who never watches the world cup, I'm tempted to stream replays of every other world cup just so that this can become the exception that I won't watch.

TryMyBacon t1_ix3xopj wrote

That's what I'm doing. I want to watch cause I love the world cup but will not support them financially in any way.

Yuchuff t1_ixnfnxp wrote

I am confused how will it affect fifa?
It will only affect the local broadcasters

i_have_chosen_a_name t1_ix45huy wrote

No, it's not. Just don't watch it. Every time somebody tries to talk about this world cup start talking about how corrupt FIFA is and how Qatar had slaves to build all the shit for it.

marmatag t1_ix5epuo wrote

This, you can’t claim to have principles but watch them vanish when it benefits you.

teflong t1_ix5f1fx wrote

There's no difference between streaming it and faking ignorance. Nobody has to know...

marmatag t1_ix5fbj6 wrote

Good point, as long as you don’t directly see how the slaves were abused, it didn’t happen right?

−3

semipro_redditor t1_ixeceus wrote

You don’t happen to wear shoes or clothes or use electronics do you?

stretcherjockey411 t1_ix3clnr wrote

Jokes on them. I wouldn’t watch it no matter where it was being played!

cal405 t1_ix6grmj wrote

It's arguably even more ethical not to watch the world cup at all

quest-to-know t1_ix4y9kh wrote

Arguably? It’s absolutely ethical and the way it needs to be viewed. Eat into as much profit as possible

[deleted] t1_ix76bwc wrote

[deleted]

plomerosKTBFFH t1_ix7rydj wrote

The companies paying for the ads might be able to get a lower price next time if the number of viewers is way lower than before. Which in turn eats into FIFA's pockets and that would be fucking great.

dogjollpez t1_ix3gllc wrote

Are people still using the site soccer streams for pirating or what? So many of those sites are filled with malware and other garbage.

Is there a better option?

TryMyBacon t1_ix3xuwx wrote

Use uBlock origin and use trusted sites. I've been pirating my whole life never had malware. Malwarebytes and windows defender scan after viewing if you are really worried and you will be fine.

stem734 t1_ix481pr wrote

Acestream and acestream search site...

Weird-Engineer t1_ix4161a wrote

It’s not ethical to watch this AT ALL. FIFA has now essentially banned all Jews from the World Cup. FIFA has banned Jewish prayer or Jewish food at the game.

LTVOLT t1_ix6gpwy wrote

why are you getting downvoted? I just looked up your claim and as of today, November 20, Qatar banned Kosher foods and jewish prayer. That is so messed up- this is supposed to be an inclusive World Cup tournament- absolutely shameful!

schpanckie t1_ix519aq wrote

Best to watch from home with a beer….lol

spacekeys_xyz t1_ix7jde9 wrote

It’s most ethical to just boycott the fucking thing.

mechanab t1_ix58vsb wrote

I’ll DL the games I want to watch. I don’t normally approve of piracy, but I don’t want anyone to make any money off of me for this shit show. If I can’t find it, I just won’t watch.

spectr312 t1_ix5cn0e wrote

False. No matter how you slice it, you're giving time, attention, and money to an organization that allows for authoritarian regimes to host their games.

Scazzz t1_ix4kmwr wrote

I did my part.

kingcovey t1_ix6tkyh wrote

the hypocrisy..... is unreal....

the article is blocked via a paywall

LumaTheLostStar t1_ix7hu6n wrote

I, an American: “FEAR NOT! I shall make the painful sacrifice of abstaining from watching the World Cup. Truly my selfishness knows no bounds, but I will persevere for the good of “football”.

ihateyoutwice t1_ix7ui17 wrote

Or you know, Just don’t watch it at all. It’s not that important.

VikKarabin t1_ix8cagz wrote

i'm barely noticing there is World Cup going on, noone cares. I am in Israel though

DrQuailMan t1_ix54mta wrote

Only if the feed you use censors the commercials. And if it blurs out the on-field advertisements. And if it mutes the audio when the the commentators shout out sponsors. Otherwise, just don't watch, who cares.

OGDankTaco t1_ix5jjm9 wrote

I think its always ethical

Moddaboy t1_ix5tjcb wrote

All the kids on phones or leaning on their arm looks like they were forced to be there

BleedBLUE87 t1_ix66i4r wrote

I'm not trying to watch grown men flop anyway...

eboe t1_iy8grw3 wrote

Don't watch any other sport then, punk. These guys don't wear padding other than the shin guards and i've seen snapped bones, guys playing with lumps in their collarbones that need surgery who are waiting until the season is over, so I don't want to hear your mindless babble about stuff you have absolutely zero clue about when you probably watch a bunch of guys wearing 40 pounds of pads and helmets make 3 plays then take a commercial break and rest. Oh and they have radios in those helmets so the coaches can talk to them. It's one step removed from playing Madden.

Falconflyer75 t1_ix6kr4v wrote

Depends on how u look at it,

Qatar doesn’t get money from broadcasting

Osoroshii t1_ix6xxzi wrote

The real punishment is to not watch at all

Ryderrunner t1_ix909iy wrote

Or just don’t watch it. Make it a bigger loss and just wait for the next one. Don’t talk about it, don’t post about it, just boycott it by not supporting it in any way.

MelodicSalt9589 t1_ix7ixp3 wrote

Will you say this same for the US World Cup?

−2

Brodman_area11 t1_ix53wnw wrote

From an admittedly non-sportsfan perspective, I genuinely don’t understand watching soccer in the first place. Aside from the fake injury melodrama (Which I concede is pretty fun): soccer, hockey and basketball are the exact same sport with different shaped balls. It’s all like watching paint dry.

−16

RedstripeRhapsodyHP t1_ix68b3a wrote

You've clearly never watched any of those sports.

ThisNameIsFree t1_ix71q06 wrote

It's weird they stopped at those sports. Based on the similarities (2 teams trying to move an object to a 'goal' on opposite ends of a playing surface), 90% of team sports are the same. US Football, rugby, water polo, ultimate Frisbee: all the same sport. Then other major team sports would be tennis/volleyball/racquetball/badminton/jai alai, baseball/cricket, and curling. So there are really only 4 team sports I can think of.

cambuulo t1_ix4htbz wrote

Western imperialism is ok but I draw the line at Muslim countries enforcing their religious and cultural values in their own country. Such heroes

−31

4_base t1_ix4j815 wrote

Nah, fuck imperialism and fuck theocracies and fuck authoritarian regimes

cambuulo t1_ix4k2v6 wrote

Sure you believe that. Do whatever you want. Just keep the same energy when the US might host a World Cup in 2026.

−14

Your_Asthma t1_ix54u2r wrote

Might?

cambuulo t1_ix5xk1t wrote

Oh well done you caught me out. Really targeting my main point there, well done :)

−2

ThisNameIsFree t1_ix719ol wrote

Is the US using foreign indentured labor to build its facilities?

cambuulo t1_ix78hzp wrote

You have a point. I mean, they do it for their chocolate, coffee, iPhones, laptops, clothing and many more but they sure don’t do it for their stadiums

ThisNameIsFree t1_ix78uyv wrote

Sure. Now those ones are true of every country in the world, so best just go and live in the wilderness and not participate in any modern activities whatsoever. In fact, if you're going to grandstand on those, you should probably get rid of your own phone/laptop/whatever you're using to read this.

cambuulo t1_ix9co1x wrote

The global structures upholding this paradigm are overwhelmingly western. The most imperial and intolerant actions of the last few decades have been the numerous wars in the Middle East. Also the highest death toll. If you’re not gonna be consistent in action, which i agree it’s impossible to boycott everything, be consistent in your criticism.

ThisNameIsFree t1_ixaf53y wrote

I agree with all that, but the specific criticism level led here was about indentured labor making the buildings for the world cup. It's not inconsistent to be OK with other world cups if that's your specific concern and reason for boycotting.

cambuulo t1_ixaz2bz wrote

The criticism may be specific but the narrative isn’t. There is a clear separation between politics and sports when china hosted the olympics, when Russia hosted the WC and there likely will be when the US hosts it next. The BBC didn’t even show the opening ceremony in an attempt at a virtue signalling protest

[deleted] t1_ix3ooxp wrote

[removed]

−38

SFPsycho t1_ix3r0xx wrote

No one is trying to shame anybody. FIFA has proved they're corrupt and only care about money and Qatar... well, it's Qatar. All people are saying is that if you stream it illegally, you won't be giving them any money while you can still enjoy the whole tournament. If you just want to ignore all that and watch it normally, that's perfectly fine. Some of us don't want to give money to a corrupt country/organization but still want to watch and support our national team so there are other ways to watch it. Simple as that.

[deleted] t1_ix4py25 wrote

[removed]

−14

okmarshall t1_ix5hu1g wrote

You should have replied to that comment rather than posting a top level comment if your thoughts on the matter requires the context.

fortoxals OP t1_ix3xv81 wrote

It's not about shaming, it's about not giving FIFA and quatar the return they expected to show that you cannot bend morals as far as you want without consequences

big_ugly_builder t1_ix50viq wrote

The money has changed hands. If noone watches it, it's the sponsors that lose out. Fifa sells the rights years ago, they have their money. Qatar doesn't get any of that now either. Pirating isn't going to hurt the people you think it is.

−2

BigCountry76 t1_ix68hf1 wrote

It sets a precedent for the future. Sure FIFA already got their money for this world cup, but if people don't watch they'll need to change in the future.

Redeem123 t1_ix7zbtt wrote

> it’s the sponsors that lost out

Why do you act like that’s a bad thing? The sponsors are part of all this too.

big_ugly_builder t1_ix8ihqo wrote

Never said it was. I want to see the corruption eliminated. But I get tired of people "taking a stand" without understanding what the problem is or how to really fix it. It's like doing a #endthecorruption and believing you're helping.