Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

44MHz t1_ixer1ok wrote

Being gay is not illegal in Qatar. What is this nonsense.

And Italy's ban on gay marriage is clearly a way to suppress gay people. That's Europe for you.

tatxc t1_ixgpbl4 wrote

Sexual acts of male homosexuality are illegal in Qatar, with a punishment of up to three years in prison and a fine and the possibility of a death penalty for Muslims under sharia law.

You're not fooking anyone with this disingenuous crap and you're just factually wrong here.

44MHz t1_ixgq4ks wrote

Funny, because a gay marriage is illegal in Italy, with punishment of up to three years in prison and fines.

It's even the same punishment in Europe.

tatxc t1_ixi7ccs wrote

Yeah sorry going to need a source on that one.

44MHz t1_ixie4j8 wrote

Gay marriage (or any non-genuine marriage) is a breach of art 495 in the Italian penal code.

tatxc t1_ixifgjb wrote

No, 495 is for falsely declaring on official documents and the penalty is one year.

I think you know this too, as there's never been a case of a homosexual being prosecuted under these laws.

44MHz t1_ixifrw8 wrote

There has never been a gay marriage punished in Qatar either.

So we can dismiss that one too.

tatxc t1_ixiuaas wrote

That's because qatar imprisons people for the act of homosexuality and offers no legal alternative. So we can't dismiss that at all, they're not the same and you know that.

44MHz t1_ixiwavo wrote

And Italy imprisons people for claiming gay marriage (since they are considered non-genuine). There is no legal alternative.

tatxc t1_ixj0o44 wrote

No they don't, this has been to court before. They don't go to prison, they just get reclassified as civil unions. You have no idea what you're talking about.

The LGBTQ+ safety index rates Italy 53rd of 203 countries with a score of 168. Qatar are rated 190th with a score of - 137.

They aren't the same. You know that, I know that. We're done here.

44MHz t1_ixj26ws wrote

Civil unions are not as much as an alternative to marriage as a wife is and alternative to a gay man’s marriage. These two cannot be equated.

tatxc t1_ixj476h wrote

This is nonsense, a legally binding, state recognised agreement between two people, while not perfect, is clearly better than being imprisoned for committing the acts required to develop a connection needed to enter said contact. This is a fact and its why the safety index is so heavily different. I'll only be accepting sourced arguments from reasonably objective sources from you now I'm afraid.

44MHz t1_ixjc4t7 wrote

Same for you.

Please give the source stating gays in Italy are not fighting for gay marriage to be recognized and they are happy with civil partnership as being equal to straight marriage.

tatxc t1_ixjdd4x wrote

Nobody argued that, it's the definition of a straw man. Nobody argued that European countries were perfect. And the fact you're trying to argue that is because you know the actual point of contention is irrefutable. You're just JAQing off.

The simple and irrefutable fact is that all Western European countries are significantly better places for homosexuals to live, work and visit than Qatar. The [LGBTQ+ safety index] and (https://www.asherfergusson.com/lgbtq-travel-safety/) equalidex both clearly illustrate this.

44MHz t1_ixje4n6 wrote

And European countries are significantly worse than Qatar for Muslims.

What’s your point?

tatxc t1_ixjgc07 wrote

> And European countries are significantly worse than Qatar for Muslims.

I'm afraid you're going to need a citation for the fact that Muslims' human rights are better catered for in Qatar than in the UK. Because for gay Muslims, women, foreign working Muslims or even Shia Muslims