Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

jarpio t1_iz4m3wj wrote

Yes, we boo when you play poorly. And cheer when you play well. Why do people have so much trouble making sense of that?

−2

awfuckthisshit t1_iz4we8b wrote

Just ungrateful. They have played their asses off all season, then have one half of not great football and you guys turn on them. Who would want to play well for fans that jump down your throat the second you slip up slightly?

jarpio t1_iz4wswo wrote

We’re not turning on them. Booing is not a message of “fuck you we don’t love you anymore.”

Booing is “stop playing like shit”

You pay good money to watch multi millionaires play a game, they underperform and we’re expected to cheer that? We don’t boo losses, we can accept losses. We boo performances. We expect hard work and accountability and learning from mistakes. If we don’t see that we let them know. We don’t let them off the hook. That’s not a bad thing. It’s not “we hate you for losing” it’s “get your shit together”

−2

awfuckthisshit t1_iz5ahr2 wrote

Who would hear someone boo them and think “oh man, better play better for these twats in the stands saying I fucking suck” when they have played great for 96% of the season. You can make excuses about accountability all you want but that just sounds like you have the memory of a goldfish. Forgetting all the great play for the entire season over 1/2 of one game.

jarpio t1_iz5f7so wrote

Funny star players in 3 major sports seem to be flocking here (we don’t speak of the Flyers rn). Must be because they hate playing in front of fans that want to win as badly as they do.

Embiid, Harden, Harper, Schwarber, Castellanos, Wheeler, Realmuto, Nola, Turner, Hurts, Brown, Kelce, Slay, Johnson, Bradberry, Gardner Johnson, Cox, Long, Peters, Dawkins, Utley, Howard, Rollins, Halladay, Lee, I could go on, most of these guys chose to come here, some were drafted and chose to re sign. Many of these players left more money on the table elsewhere to come here. Some took the most money to come here. But they all came here. They all want to be here. And they all “get it” not every athlete that comes here does wind up “getting it” and those guys usually don’t last very long here. and I could probably make a much longer list of players who fall in that category.

Your comment tells me you have a mentality more like that of Ben Simmons or Carson Wentz. A person who would take the boos personally instead of as motivation to improve and be better. You wouldn’t last long here. And that’s fine. But if you don’t understand us, and make no effort to understand us, and still criticize us then idk what to tell you other than we don’t care if you don’t like us, but something about us clearly is threatening to you.

−4

awfuckthisshit t1_iz5ml2o wrote

You and I clearly have very different views on how to lead and support people. There’s no chance we will agree, and that’s ok. You want to put people down and point out their flaws to motivate them to improve and I want to raise them up and highlight their good qualities to raise their confidence to motivate them. Both styles have been seen in sports and have successes and failures.

oliversurpless t1_iz5bno6 wrote

Then why the needless clarification of “multi millionaires play a game”?

Not only is that not true for many a player despite the dangerous nature of the game, why would that even matter?

Dare I ask you about how “worthy” you think certain types of political protests are?

jarpio t1_iz5g1um wrote

Well no it’s more

“we’re a working class city, paying good money out of pocket to watch these millionaires play this game. The least we are asking for is for you to play hard and show you want to win as badly as we want you to win.”

We’re okay with losing, as long as there is accountability for it and you show us you’re willing to put the work in and improve. Lots of athletes and coaches and GMs makes excuses or act like a victim and take it personally when they hear the boos and that shit just doesn’t fly around here. We don’t have any sympathy for somebody making millions telling us their feelings are hurt bc they played like shit and had to hear about.

cycorrado t1_iz56lkh wrote

I used to hate eagles fan till I realized I’m the same way with the bears Lmaooo.

spencehammer t1_iz4v9qp wrote

This is one of the few things I actually respect about Philadelphians (and as a DMVer I know the feeling is mutual) but most people are blind fanatics for their team. People still cheer for Washington after we’ve sucked for 30 years. It blows their mind that a fan base might give actual feedback based on the team’s performance.

jarpio t1_iz4waxb wrote

Not every player can handle that either. People say we’re overly harsh or too tough but really, we’re not “tough” we just want to win and expect our players to want to win as badly as we do. We are more than accommodating in defeat, if the players effort is up to par. But guys that clearly don’t put in the work (like Ben Simmons) or guys that just don’t “get it” (like Carson Wentz) get chewed up and spit out here.

All we ask for from the guys getting paid millions is hard work and personal accountability. Players and teams that display those characteristics are usually beloved whether they win or lose, and usually teams that have those characteristics are generally more successful. So yeah, when they play poorly we voice our displeasure.