Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Greeni170 t1_j136t7a wrote

I know nothing about baseball, so serious question. Is giving out 12-year contracts a regular thing in baseball? Is the decline in skill not as steep, because of the differences in physicality in baseball compared to both footballs for example?

instrumentally_ill t1_j13xsl8 wrote

Essentially it costs 10-12 years to get someone for 5-6 years of their prime.

marklondon66 t1_j14jqd7 wrote

It's a way of avoiding luxury taxes and also keeping player salaries lower on per year basis.

TylerDurden626 t1_j1372iu wrote

Definitely have more longevity in baseball. 15-20 yr careers for superstars aren’t out of the ordinary

A lot of players will develop power hitting later in their career once they figure out how to hit off MLB pitching with a wood bat.

Also players can move positions as they get older that require less athleticism. Correa can move to 3rd base (he’s a shortstop now) and extend his career by easily 5 yrs

gimli2112 t1_j13rnqr wrote

Albert Pujols signed a long contract with the Angels about ten years ago when it looked like he was going to break just about every hitting record there was. He never delivered, he wasn't awful but he wasn't what the Angels paid all that money for and had to pay him for the duration of the contract.

itsforachurch t1_j13pgli wrote

I'm a little light on details but a lot of it has to do with the payroll tax under the new CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement) between the owners and players. The Met's payroll this year is (so far) about $400 million so they will pay about $100 million in tax. The payroll tax is calculated based on the AAV of contracts. AAV stands for Average Annual Value so spreading the contract out a few extra years saves tax dollars. Evidently the math works.

mormagils t1_j14iynr wrote

It's not very common at all. This particular offseason has been a bit insane in that lots of players that are pretty darn good but not necessarily all-time greats are getting longer contracts. Part of this is just an unusually robust free agent market, but part of it is that some teams realized that since the luxury tax (kind of an informal salary cap) calculations factor in the average annual value of a deal, spreading the deal out longer than the player will be good or useful might actually be a net gain on the team because they can be really good for most of the player's deal and then hopefully replace them with homegrown, cheap talent on the back end of the deal.

Before this year, basically the longest deals given out were 10 year deals, and those would only go to guy who were on a hall of fame trajectory and very, very young. But now, in this offseason, it's been a bit of an arms race, in part because the Mets are just throwing absolutely obscene amounts of money at some of the best players on the market. Last year the Mets set an all time MLB payroll high with something like $230M or so. This year, the Mets payroll is over $400M with luxury tax penalties.

The Correa situation is also a bit odd because Correa already had a 13 year deal lined up with a different team, and then yesterday they delayed their announcement of the signing due to "awaiting test results" with no further information. The Mets had made a late push to sign Correa only hours before he signed that deal with the Giants, and then all of a sudden in the middle of the night we find out that Correa's deal with the Giants is gone and the Mets swooped in with this offer. VERY rarely do you see deals like this fall apart, and for the Mets to already have a new deal in place before most people even knew the old deal fell apart is completely nuts.

The Mets are just turning the entire sport on its head. And it's great for fans and players.

coopnjaxdad t1_j143qu7 wrote

Of note is that contracts in baseball are guaranteed. He could play 6 more years and still collect. There would be restructuring but he is going to get that money.

mrjacank t1_j135hv8 wrote

Giants in shambles

24moop t1_j144msv wrote

Bruh, literal shambles. I really want to know what happened with that physical

Seahawk715 t1_j17eb3p wrote

Rumor is there was an ankle injury from when he was 19 that they wanted more info on.

amador9 t1_j17umxj wrote

I understand that the Giants wanted some additional medical exams. Rather than do that, he signed with the Mets. Go figure.

Noodles_Crusher t1_j13opd3 wrote

would anyone be able to make an NBA analogy about the players and teams involved?

Ruggdogg87 t1_j13wctq wrote

In 2015, DeAndre Jordan was about to sign with the Dallas Mavericks and bailed last minute to resign with the Clippers.

Or if a player like Sabonis picked a team like the Warriors, was about to sign, and then the team got cold feet about medical stuff, so he goes and signs with the Knicks.

Rowdy_Roddy96 t1_j139doh wrote

Biggest Swerve of the Offseason wtf

thishitisgettingold t1_j14ni5d wrote

I hope we find out what was the issue with the physical that made this happen. I wonder why are the Mets OK with it while the Giants are not.

TJ_Will t1_j13fzi1 wrote

I predict this will go down well for Giants fans.

/s

Ironamsfeld t1_j14bn3c wrote

If true, curious to see who plays SS between him and Lindor. That should be fun for the clubhouse.

mormagils t1_j14j77y wrote

Actually, Lindor and Correa are good buddies. Lindor specifically appealed to Steve Cohen to go out and get Correa for 3B. This won't cause friction at all. The players already are on board with Correa going to 3B and Lindor sticking at SS.

Ironamsfeld t1_j14jexl wrote

Yeah I saw this reading up later. Didn’t know they were buddies though. That’s cool. Mets will be spoiled having two of the great infielders of our time. These guys are both on track for HOF by pure numbers in my book.

kingallison t1_j13zscr wrote

Having a regular job sucks so bad

mouse1093 t1_j13b37x wrote

I was just about to head to bed and did one last scroll of the timeline and saw this. In gonna sleeping happy tonight. Curious how we are going to handle Escobar and Baty. Baty is a young kid who can be packaged in a major trade probably down the line after he develops a little. Escobar might just become a veteran bench player. This batting order now has quite a bit flexibility. Can opt to bat McNeill and canha late in the order or slot them in the #2 hole to setup lindor+Pete.

Starting rotation is done, fielding positions are done. Can definitely handle having a defensive oriented catcher with the rest of the firepower in the lineup now. Alvarez can hang in the minors a little longer and develop. Just a bit more middle relief and I think it's a full roster

Rustys_Beefaroni t1_j1400c2 wrote

…and he will always be a cheating little bitch. You can’t unring that bell, Carlos

57trevy t1_j146svs wrote

...you mean you can't un bang that garbage can.

RIPTonyStark t1_j14z6c0 wrote

Im assuming this a pending a physical as well?

05hastros t1_j15xrrw wrote

And they still won't beat the Astros

pipozzz t1_j16jhfo wrote

Angels fan here... Don't feel sorry Giants fans. Long term contracts never play out.

Working_History7335 t1_j1h1hhn wrote

Mets took the L here. Clearly Correa isn’t healthy enough to pass a physical. Giants did proper due diligence, Mets were sloppy