Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

lochlainn t1_j7j9yxb wrote

Edit: and yeah, I get that logistics/transport thing. So many moving parts and people in so many different places.

pjcanfield8 t1_j7je1bd wrote

Exactly you get what I mean. I know at the the end of the day it’s all just boxes and numbers being shifted around but it’s still amazing to me that humans have managed to utilize technology and computers to the fullest in the 21st century to move millions of boxes from one city to the other other side their country in under 24 hours with a pretty high rate of accuracy. The rapid rise of consumption and globalization that ties in with that is a bit unnerving (just due to the shear amount of CO2 emitted from cargo ships and planes let alone the manufacturing process). But at the end of the day like I said, it’s just cool that as a species we’ve come together to collaborate on these colossal boats or complex logistics chains to make everyday life happen. Really what it comes down to is that It’s the people I love not the billionaires reaping the profits off the backs of all our hard work. Sorry for the tangent.

Low_Tourist t1_j7olkwo wrote

Our company imports some goods from China, and we generally use air freight. Once it gets loaded, it arrives from the factory to our offices in about 72 hours. It's nuts.