Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

BetterMakeAnAccount t1_ivn6pm0 wrote

I know personally many people who escaped the state as soon as Roe was struck down. Also a lot of blue state Republicans migrated to MO when we got a reputation for ignoring Covid protocols. It’s only going to get redder, I’ve only stayed in this state so long because “oh I’ve got to help flip it blue” and it’s time to admit it’s a lost cause.

Note2thee t1_ivnni36 wrote

It’s not a lost cause; but their propaganda is working on you apparently. We used to be a bellweather; and I still believe we can and will be in the near future. Our main population centers are heavily democratic; and gerrymandered to hell at the state level. Busch was not a good candidate for the dems this go round. Find the uniter; remind Missourians that we aren’t followers of what’s happening on the East Coast, West Coast, or South Coast. That we care about our state and her people above the zeitgeist politik. It will happen sooner than you think. People are so tired of this shit.

With love, An Independent

GinWithJennifer t1_ivpfdvs wrote

I voted Nov 2nd and was upset about that so many Rs were running unopposed.

Ill be running for the unopposed house seat in 2024. I'm homeless and have nothing better to do than walk around telling people about me. If anyone knows what i need to do to get on the ballot please lmki don't expect to win. I don't feel like that's the point as much as being mad there's only one option. 1 choice is no choice.

Vote Jennifer next election.

my_monkeys_fly t1_ivngthb wrote

Missouri used to be a swing state, but is most certainly a deep red one now.

turned_out_normal t1_ivn74wf wrote

Not a lawyer. Amendment 3, if passed, cannot be overturned by the legislature. It's an amendment to the constitution. If it were statue, what e commonly think of when we think of laws, then they could. I don't remember specifically for Missouri, but I'm pretty sure there is a process for the legislature to initiate an amendment, and they could change it that way, but they is not as easily done as writing and passing statute.

allengator86 t1_ivntcls wrote

I can give you my best armchair analysis but keep in mind that it's mostly just opinions based on my observations from a rural area and just enjoying data and trends.

My feeling is overall between the two major parties Missouri on a national scale is "comfortably red". The only thing keeping it from being solid red are the metro areas, like Kansas City, St. Louis, Jefferson City, and even Springfield to some degree. Years ago in 2012 I opined about Missouri not being seen as a bellwether when it didn't vote for Obama and after that it's trended more Republican with the senate seat flip of McCaskill's loss in 2018, the governorship flipping to Republican, and reliably voting Republican in every major election since. To compound this more is the local government which has carried a Republican supermajority for a long time now even well before that and shows no signs of changing any time soon.

On the other hand are amendments and issues. Most of the time these are not along party lines. Even though this is a conservative state in the Bible Belt, Amendment 3 with legalizing marijuana passed which feels opposite of what you'd expect. I've actually been surprised at the results of other measures in the past too, thinking "There's no way this will pass" and sure enough I'm proven wrong. My personal, albeit biased, thought on this is when you do not align an issue directly with the major political parties that people are more free to really think what is best for them and it turns more in to a purple situation. I actually feel if some Republican PAC would have put some effort in messaging by saying "If you vote Republican vote no on 3", then it would have failed because the people that vote on party lines would have went with it.

So TL;DR - On a national scale Missouri heavily favors Republican, on a local government scale it is solidly Republican, but on issues it's a mixed bag.

sgf-guy t1_ivn9kzf wrote

I heard a few months ago, on clearly politically conservative KWTO, the admittance that Springfield is becoming more blue and Joplin more red. I’m very experienced in both places.

KC/STL and a lot of Boone Co are blue. Rich folks with means for a lot of KC/STL and then educational left in MU country. I see SGF as people benefiting from a good economy where money comes easy.

But half the suburbs of KC and STL with average people are down to earth folks with families who vote right overall. Half the state is in small towns or rural.

Republican politicians now don’t care about weed. Maybe as a source of tax income but beyond true evangelicals they don’t care .

master-shake69 t1_ivnsrfr wrote

If you look at the map for the senate race, Greene county is red. Springfield itself is likely blue but the county has a lot of small towns that likely vote R.

CartographerLow6788 t1_ivotfvp wrote

Springfield got gerrymandered pretty hard on those state house races. Split up msu area and downtown just enough to eke out 1 more victory and nearly two.

ManlyVanLee t1_ivq1cn6 wrote

Missouri is firmly a red state and not changing anytime soon. The thing is that most of the people here have been conditioned to believe any politician with a (D) next to their name is an evil villain helbent on murdering babies and stealing their guns. Republicans have been pushing that narrative for decades and it firmly took root and will not be easy to eliminate

However on individual issues it's harder to push the Conservative narrative. You can get any Republican candidate elected by just screaming "ABORTION ABORTION ABORTION!" but once you ask an individual voter about anything else, they won't necessarily default to the Republican opinion. People have mentioned the legalized weed initiative and that's a great example

But we also had the campaign stuff come up a few years ago and despite the Republican candidates spending like 15x the money on advertising to get people to oppose it, it still passed

Basically the people of the state are so indoctrinated they will only vote on candidates based on their parry affiliation. If a tall white man ran for Senate here and ran on a campaign of strangling puppies but was Republican, he would defeat the Democrat running on the "$1 million for every Missourian" campaign in a landslide. But once you get to individual mandates the state does still have some sense

Guitarstringman t1_ivr4bmb wrote

People here vote for hate, and against Democracy

ProgressMom68 t1_ivs4gqr wrote

Missouri has been a lost cause for at least a decade, federally, and more than 20 years state. If you want to have sane, moderate leadership you’ll have to move elsewhere.

Saltpork545 t1_ivu5w5c wrote

In short: No. It all pretty much stayed the same for our reps. Biggest things were KCPD funding(Kansas city doesn't control it's police due to a corruption scandal decades ago) and legalized marijuana that can't be overturned or ignored by our legislature. They have to work with it, that's why it was set as an amendment.

armenia4ever t1_ivoszyb wrote

I know alot of Evangelicals and Penecostals who voted to pass amendment 3.

I voted for amendment 3 as well. The NIMBYS seemed to have shot down the other big one unfortunately.

We moved here recently from Illinois and the Dems there have left a terrible taste in my mouth after what happened with Covid. Voted almost all GOP here which kind of sucks as there's not much policy wise they put forward. (Would have preferred Vance type of canidate honestly.)

−4