Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Smith6612 t1_j9yyamw wrote

Yep you're not wrong. I've had a few of those come through where people ask me to clear the password from a computer they haven't used for months and forgot, only for me to find it's tied to a Microsoft account. I simply tell them they can go to <insert link here> to reset their password. Usually when I say that, it becomes dead air / Deer in headlights look, and they just seem to not want to reset their Microsoft account password. Maybe Microsoft could make it more obvious, or challenge people weekly for the password in order to sign in. I can remove the Microsoft account link, of course. It's just a big pain to do.

And yeah, for data recovery on a drive, have to get into the Microsoft account to retrieve the key. Return to above where the user forgot their credentials. Of course Microsoft doesn't tell people to back up their key before they encrypt the drive automatically so, yep.

epic_null t1_j9yz4em wrote

Hard drive encryption is GREAT for business who have an IT team. (Even just one guy who knows to back up that password.)

But for consumers? That shit shouldn't be on by default. The user has no clue what the risks of it are, and no warning that there are even risks to account for.

Smith6612 t1_j9z7y5s wrote

They should definitely prompt for it like Apple does/did on macOS. It can help consumers too, since computers do get stolen from homes all the time.

epic_null t1_j9zhbc4 wrote

There are benefits, no doubt, but personal experience tells me that the risk for a personal computer is more heavily leaning towards anything else happening, with the drive being the only recoverable bit. (This is reflected in how I choose and manage my machine, but may not be reflected in how people in higher theft areas choose and manage their machines. For obvious reasons.)