Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

HeyPierreComeOutHere t1_ixp17lo wrote

Ford Bronco owners have been on a ride ever since they bought their vehicle lmao

AyBruhBee t1_ixp22l0 wrote

Atleast their vehicle is worth 4x its msrp lmao thats one expensive bomb

oldbastardbob t1_ixp4gnv wrote

We'll have "unexploded Bronco" puns just like the "unexploded Pinto" puns back in the last century.

Legosmiles t1_ixp6w9r wrote

Have we forgotten that the Explorer was for a time the Exploder in the 90s?

cyrusm t1_ixqo3d5 wrote

Make sure you don't light up them fire-stones with your exploder

cyrusm t1_ixqnzza wrote

They made a reference to that in some family comedy I watched with my kids the other day. I think it was the movie Rat Race? Had to stop and explain the joke, because from their perspective a car just exploded for no reason, with no context.

Doctor_Bubbles t1_ixpapj4 wrote

Article says Bronco Sport, the crazy markups and resells are on the Bronco.

Joejoecornrow t1_ixpy6s5 wrote

Remember the vw “ thing “. If it was rear ended it would burst into flame more often than not.

Garglygook t1_ixqkobz wrote

>Remember the vw “ thing “. If it was rear ended it would burst into flame more often than not.

So did the Ford Pinto. It came out in a lawsuit that the bean counters at Ford said to recall it would cost more than just dealing with the lawsuits which is why it took so long to get them off the road or fixed. I remember that now every time they finally issue a recall.

notcaffeinefree t1_ixpecrz wrote

The Bronco Sport (what's recalled) is not at all the same as the Bronco (not recalled). The Sport is built off the Escape chassis while the actual Bronco uses a ladder frame construction.

They are literally two entirely different vehicles that happen to share the same name.

xxFrenchToastxx t1_ixq3lf0 wrote

Ford marketing team skipped over the 80's history lesson. It was a shitty naming scheme then, still shitty now.

JoeFortitude t1_ixq3sfa wrote

Why isn't the Bronco Sport the Bronco II?!? Because I can't help but to call it that! The Sport should be a package on the Bronco, not the name. The Bronco II was just sitting there, waiting to be revived, but NOOOOOOO, Ford marketing wanted to do a shit job with naming.

asphaltaddict33 t1_ixpa8rk wrote

The bronco sport is recalled, not the bronco. Reading the article helps

Ok_Anywhere_1791 t1_ixpali5 wrote

So not a bronco, but yet... a bronco.

yellowteabag t1_ixpd7sz wrote

the bronco sport is not a "sport" trim of the bronco. they really are completely different vehicles.

here is what they look like

the bronco sport is a family oriented unibody SUV with a tiny 3-cylinder 1.5L engine and the bronco is an off-terrain body-on-frame vehicle with a much larger engine.

happyscrappy t1_ixpirod wrote

> an off-terrain body-on-frame vehicle with a much larger engine.

Somewhat larger. 2.3L base. 2.7L available. And in the Bronco Sport: 1.5L, 2.0L available.

Really hard to tear down people on here for a stupid thing Ford did.

Naming the Bronco Sport that was designed to create a confusion (association) with the other Bronco. Ford is reaping what they sowed.

KonigSteve t1_ixpc32g wrote

I mean they're completely different vehicles on different chassis etc

Ok_Anywhere_1791 t1_ixpcnh1 wrote

Then maybe Ford shouldn't have called them both bronco

KonigSteve t1_ixqfcq8 wrote

I agree, but that doesn't change that people reading the article would've helped.