Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

evmarshall t1_iwt3jlb wrote

But what about stack ranking the managers?

ElGuano t1_iwtwhsg wrote

The managers have managers, who were probably told to do the same.

Humble-Letter-6424 t1_iwuskmk wrote

It’s the end of the year, so this is just the yearly push to complete end of year reviews and succession plans… nothing to see here.

10% will be pushed out by Feb.

GeologistUnfair t1_iwvrkia wrote

It's still interesting, not everybody recognizes this is how the process works and it is pretty ridiculous. It's just absolutely absurd the way this country devalues it's working class, and gives so much power to centers of private Capital to control congress, treat workers like s**.

Humble-Letter-6424 t1_iwwsdqi wrote

Look I don’t disagree with you and understand that most would feel that it’s impersonal, and I would rather repurpose the folks to roles that fit them better, but you can’t disagree in saying that Atleast 5-10% of your coworkers are anchors and probably are more toxic rather than helpful to getting things done.

red286 t1_iww3ylg wrote

Gotta make room for the new hires from Twitter.

LoveThieves t1_iwvqxkv wrote

I remember this story of 10 self-important managers on a boat telling how to get the 1 worker to row efficiently.

The successful company has 10 people rowing the boat with 1 competent manager and wins the race.

I guess it's that time Amazon fires all the middle management. reminds of Office Space LOL

altcastle t1_iwtoy4q wrote

Hmmm, that sounds like a low rank thought. Please report to HR.

Oscarcharliezulu t1_iwu5gcz wrote

The real problem - and I’ve experienced this in a previous job - that they get rid of a lot of people but the workload doesn’t go down so those who are left are forced to do more for the same pay. You get stressed and overworked but they expect you to be grateful. I felt somehow unlucky that they didn’t get rid of me - I’d rather have gotten the package to leave, taken a month or two off and gotten another job.

S_NJ_Guy t1_iwu6x7x wrote

What you described, is performance punishment.

FantasticBarnacle241 t1_iwupffu wrote

Reward good work with more work!

S_NJ_Guy t1_iwuzhlt wrote

Exactly. There's an old saying, if you need something done, give it to a busy person. That was me, always busy and given more work.

BexKix t1_iwupquq wrote

I was working at Cat when they underwent several major cuts in ‘08 and ‘16. Hubby’s department saw 50% cuts, the survivor’s guilt is real when they’re that big. Even if you still have a job, it is much different than before.

My area wasn’t as bad… but still had to set personal limits and stick to them for hours worked. If it wasn’t important it wasn’t going to get done became a harsh truth. Perfect and well-done went out the window, “good enough” became the bar.

My previous job went through all that and had the “be grateful” attitude after months of wondering if you had a job. I left the company, I can’t endorse that. As my mentor said, you need to be all in or “all-out” there’s not a lot of in-between if you’re honest with yourself.

Good luck. Downsizing sucks, I’ve seen it 4 times now in my career. It’s definitely a lot more often than when I started, business cycles are faster.

SidewaysFancyPrance t1_iwv1y9i wrote

Yeah, the problem is when bosses make the cuts but then the unspoken expectation is that you as the worker have to sacrifice and buckle down to compensate for it, but the boss gets the bonus for saving the company money.

When a company actually cuts work as they cut employees and just acknowledge that things will have to drop off, I respect that. That's leadership making hard decisions. Firing people and telling everyone else to work harder to meet the same goals is not making a hard decision, it's being an asshole.

Oscarcharliezulu t1_ix2c5ga wrote

That’s exactly why I’m not sorry for companies - And especially the managers, when their staff desert them.

BexKix t1_ix3lp0r wrote

Managers are screwed. Hubby is a manger and when it comes to hiring and firing he only decides the who, not the “how many.” He can petition and call out facts and figures, but ultimately his hands are tied.

Upper management - who are clueless what individuals do day to day - are the assholes here.

reddiots-lmao t1_iwuq0u2 wrote

And now there is a fresh batch of low performers to fire! Employees hate this one trick

Wackipaki t1_iwum2vx wrote

We investigated ourselves and found no wrongdoing.

dax2001 t1_iwtumlv wrote

They can do this only in an uncivilised countries.

−4