Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Suolucidir t1_j64ceca wrote

Home Depot has a pretty bigtime corporate loyalty program too - where "pros" can track all of their purchases by job name/number.

I am interested in whether any of this proprietary business information was also handed over to Meta without consent and whether there are going to be any juicy lawsuits between construction firms and Meta/HD over IP exposure, corporate espionage, and data security risk.

andrbrow t1_j65dg1o wrote

As a contractor with a HD card, let’s hope they get in serious trouble for this.

Uncle_Burney t1_j6672op wrote

Of course they wont, and the rightfully aggrieved will have little to no recourse.

GeniusDodo t1_j678crm wrote

They’re going to fine the company some small sum of money and you’ll get your “claim” of some measly small amount that won’t even add up to the irreversible damage that they occurred. “Apologies” will be made, their name will be stained for a few years, they’ll rebrand, and a few decades later everyone forgets. Companies have no incentive to stop selling peoples data other than bad PR for a while and the loss of a little less money than what they made from the data. Is there really anyway of remedying this?

uzlonewolf t1_j67g92q wrote

> a few decades later everyone forgets

*quarters. Consumers have the memory of a goldfish.

asdaaaaaaaa t1_j67h9so wrote

Hey now, I was part of a massive lawsuit with Google that I didn't even know about and I'll have you know I got paid an entire dollar and some change. You should see the investments I've made since then, almost got a free coffee off it.

AnxiousArtichoke7981 t1_j69fi1d wrote

When will the consequences of a crime against hardworking people ever be worse than the benefits gained? That should be the standard of punishment for all corporations , directors and decision makers.

wdomon t1_j68y0du wrote

They’ll get a $14 check in 2 years though maybe!

tiedyepieguy t1_j68qhci wrote

The only way you can show them that this upsets you is to stop spending money there.

asdaaaaaaaa t1_j67h5ku wrote

It's happening via most businesses. What do they have to lose? What's a little fine compared to all that profit and data? When's the last time you've seen a business strung up for illegally sharing/selling customer data?

QuestionableAI t1_j64jhvg wrote

Real shame no Representatives of the People have seen fit to reign these buggers in ,,, how come Corporations get a pass on violating laws and the rights of the people and the people just continue to get fucked.

spinereader81 t1_j65kywo wrote

"Those gosh durned kids today, with their tight pants and their Tic Tac videos. All they want to do is wake up at noon to smoke the weed and listen to that dirty hip hap music. In MY day we went work at 5 AM until 10 PM every day for 10 cents an hour. We got ulcers, heart attacks and nervous breakdowns, and many of us were dead by 60. But you know what? We liked it that way! Now, get off my lawn, you dirty hippies!"

Space-Dribbler t1_j664lfw wrote

Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife

MJSTEX t1_j685n2v wrote

You were lucky

Space-Dribbler t1_j685so8 wrote

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

And you try and tell the young people of today that ... they won't believe you

QuestionableAI t1_j64m75g wrote

... and there we have it, money, always follow the money trail.

voidsrus t1_j676qa4 wrote

they'd need to understand how a computer works to get that far

Manofalltrade t1_j668hzi wrote

If a company is selling my data, they need to give me a cut of the profits.

wdomon t1_j68ydeg wrote

They “don’t raise their prices despite growing operational costs” (how else can we pay for our CEO’s golden parachute?)

sharingsilently t1_j68a42x wrote

Yeah, I’ve stopped shopping at Home Depot. Between this and their executives’ love for Trump, just done with them.

Minerva89 t1_j66j1x8 wrote

Home Depot is an amoral, garbage company, so I'm not surprised.

Splurch t1_j67c5hs wrote

Wonder if this behavior is responsible for some peoples "I talked about something near my phone and then started getting ads for it!" Maybe if enough info about this kind of data sharing comes out they'll realize Meta doesn't have to spy on their conversations for ad targeting.

Anydudewilltellyou t1_j66axwy wrote

Anyone want to bet that the practice STILL continues in every other country that has an HD store?

antsinmypants3 t1_j65zn58 wrote

I had no idea they did off Facebook tracking. I turned it off. This tracking everything on every device is getting ridiculous

zoziw t1_j66kt46 wrote

Your credit card company is doing it as well.

BlackRadius360 t1_j6agp3x wrote

Thank you very much for this post. I just went on an uninstall spree. I'm stunned. I don't even use Facebook much but they had almost everything I do documented. I just uninstalled Facebook, messenger, and Instagram. WTF man.

This is worth a letter to my Congress person and Senate on the federal and state levels. Instead of suing Google who has plenty of competition why aren't you shutting shit like this down?

BruntLIVEz t1_j683i3q wrote

Colleges and universities are the worst. Your admission application is SOLD to the highest bidder. Name, address, SSN and email used in marketing, insurance and loans.

scotticusphd t1_j6a04tl wrote

SORT YOUR FUCKING PART BINS HOME DEPOT AND I MIGHT LOOK THE OTHER WAY.

b4ttlepoops t1_j6bq3db wrote

I read an article a while back, that said FB can track your purchases with your credit and debit cards if you stay logged in. They are totally interested in everything you buy. Ever notice ads coming up after you just talked about it? They deny the phone listens to you, but it’s in the terms of service agreement. My brother showed me. FB and Google are super creepy.

goomyman t1_j6br3g8 wrote

Wow this is a fucked up way of advertising.

I would be pissed if I got an e receipt and ended up getting spam. I just want a receipt. I wouldn’t be shocked but I would be disappointed to find out they used that email internally to track me within Home Depot. I mean they already have my credit information which has my address associated with it so we are already being tracked. But asking for an e receipt and having it immediately sold and tied to meta is something not even I would imagine.

This seems like a basic public offering to businesses by meta and probably other companies.

It’s probably extremely wide spread and the US needs some serious privacy laws in place to end this shit.

Would you like a receipt should be nothing but that.

gullydowny t1_j64f79e wrote

I signed up for a contractor account at Lowe’s and a week later heard an ad from them directed at contractors on Pandora. I’ve made it a point to shop there as little as possible ever since. I was just flabbergasted that the first thing they’d do to a new customer was to shit on them but apparently everybody’s doing it. Haven’t seen anything like that from Sherwin Williams who has all my info though.

−1

Hellanaise t1_j65idh5 wrote

That's called a cookie, and they've been on the internet for over a decade. Not necessarily what you think it is, more of a targeted ad.

NegotiationFew6680 t1_j662lji wrote

More like:

“I received a Lowe’s ad via Google Ad network after googling for them,

How could Lowe’s have done this to me!”

dreamWeaver82 t1_j66b9wx wrote

You didn't google Lowes or visit their website?

gullydowny t1_j66ks82 wrote

Nah, filled out a form in the building to get a discount on paint, gave them my email & soon after heard an ad for them pitching their contractor discount program. Same as the junk mail I get but for some reason getting to me on the radio via my email I also used for Pandora was a step too far lol. Don’t know why people are having a hard time believing that, that’s why they want the email.

−2

nyaaaa t1_j67ohth wrote

You just went there, without visiting their website or searching on other sites if they have what you want?

gullydowny t1_j68irxn wrote

Yeah I used to get a discount at Home Depot but they cut that back so I just went down the street to Lowe’s. I’m a painter, I go to Lowe’s and every other hardware store a dozen times a month.

The skepticism is weird, if I give someone my email and they know I’m a contractor I’m going to eventually get ads aimed at contractors, the eerie part was how soon it happened and that it was on Pandora.

nyaaaa t1_j69tbno wrote

It goes into a database, why shouldn't it be instant?

Hell, I bet contractors are an important audience for Pandora ads, as they do be driving a lot.

LADYBIRD_HILL t1_j66asv6 wrote

I mean,. Did you physically go to a Lowe's for that? Google maps tracks stuff like that.