Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

bbzzdd t1_j35ggdl wrote

Ironically, Amazon already silently cuts 6% of their corporate workforce each year through performance management. At 300K corporate employees, that's <drumroll> 18K layoffs. Will they continue to cut 6% in 2023 on top of the layoffs?

pdinc t1_j3669hq wrote

Magic 8 ball says: "You may rely on it"

blissfulsaltiness t1_j348blo wrote

Another wonderful example of lots of normal people paying the price for poor leadership.

Badd_Karmaa t1_j36hkcr wrote

It’s not poor leadership, just misaligned incentives presented by speculators to executives. Before the market started sliding a year ago, Wall Street and private investors were valuing companies at crazy multiples on revenue (avg 22x for most SaaS companies, some much higher) which incentivized topline revenue growth at all costs, even if the company was losing money.

Now, the market has aligned much more strongly with EBITDA and profits which requires companies to rebalance their P&Ls to post profits or at the very least, break-evens.

You could blame the leadership of these companies for not seeing this coming, or you could blame the incentives in the market these leaders observed. However, given the fed’s aggressive monetary policy over the last few years, I’d blame them much more for kicking the can down the road than I’d blame corporate leadership.

DecentFart t1_j375ztz wrote

It is always easier to blame others. I am sure they maximized profits, but it was at the expensive of their employees. It will hurt them in the future making good talent less likely to join them for fear of leadership's lack of respect for their employees well being.

moatsmd t1_j36350z wrote

If it’s poor leadership, then this economy is rife with poor leadership. The fact is that most tech companies are, at best, stopping hiring.

−2

celeduc t1_j36fphf wrote

These arguments are not mutually exclusive.

jphamlore t1_j3529l3 wrote

Amazon had doubled the number of people they employ from 2020 to now?

TopRamenisha t1_j35urc0 wrote

It would not surprise me if they did. All the FAANG companies were hiring like crazy during the pandemic because borrowing money was cheap. I interviewed for a design job during the pandemic and they told me they were hiring 1,000 designers

nova9001 t1_j360l7b wrote

No more free money. Unless Fed magically pivots in 2023 which I seriously doubt.

Sellier123 t1_j35bwpm wrote

Idk if this is true but i wouldnt be shocked. During covid EVERYONE was doing all their shopping online and a ton of ppl needed jobs

SomeDudeNamedMark t1_j35cqkr wrote

Not giving a damn about your employees doesn't seem like a change in mindset.

stoudman t1_j35jhod wrote

A change in mindset from "let's consolidate our workforce and force the remaining workers to do more work to make up for the lost labor" to "let's consolidate our workforce and force the remaining workers to do more work to make up for the lost labor" is NOT A CHANGE IN MINDSET!

johnjohn4011 t1_j34do18 wrote

Hunh. How about starting with the principle that the people who make Amazon possible are at least as valuable as the inanimate objects you sell?

UniqueName2 t1_j3656hy wrote

People being as valuable as things? I’m sorry sir, but this is America!

not_that_planet t1_j37qk76 wrote

I wish they'd fucking fix the Android version of the Amazon Music app. It sucks beyond compare.

Karlor_Gaylord_Cries t1_j348g5n wrote

Well fuck, do you wanna work at Amazon or not? Make up your mind

nomorerainpls t1_j35xv7n wrote

Smells a lot like “focusing on the core business” which is code for “we’re not sure what’s gonna happen next”

noodle-face t1_j3685wi wrote

My Amazon interviews (tech) were the worst I had ever seen. An employee gave me the internal cheat sheet and it was such a joke. Also I was headhunted by 4-5 different Amazon recruiters every single week.

tehdamonkey t1_j377vh8 wrote

Robots.... and more robots. That is what is coming.

Starskigoat t1_j34txax wrote

Their annual turnover is probably not a small number. They can do a lot of reductions just from the people normally quitting.

berfder t1_j35mxhj wrote

As far as I’m aware, that’s how they’ve always done it. I’m not aware of a single instance of actually laying off a substantial number of people. It’s usually just telling them to find another job within the company.

Granted, things have changed since I was there. Jassy taking over would have been my reason to leave if I hadn’t already left.

TheyStealUrTaxMoney t1_j350ku0 wrote

They are making me rethink using AWS.

−1

[deleted] t1_j35i5pz wrote

[deleted]

TheyStealUrTaxMoney t1_j35qy2t wrote

Well, I just spent four freaking years learning how to use it too. Don't worry I am bitching about OpenAI incessantly too.

−1

Junkstar t1_j36xlck wrote

They can barely select, pack, and ship the right product anymore, so hopefully they can focus on fixing that. I've started shopping direct with manufacturers and other retailers as Amazon keeps selling me open box stuff at new prices, or they just send the wrong item entirely. It's exhausting to deal with them over expensive items too. Their moment is over.

−1

Autotomatomato t1_j36xowr wrote

Late to this thread but companies like Amazon require a low interest rate environment to thrive but because the Amazon owner doesnt pay taxes his company will be in the toilet in the next few years.

&#x200B;

WTF is wrong with reality..

−2