Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

venustrapsflies t1_j4v6tdk wrote

I mean I hated homework, especially writing, but I have no clue how I would’ve learned to write an essay otherwise.

And with few exceptions students can’t learn complex and abstract concepts without practicing on their own. You get rid of homework and you make math and writing illiteracy worse.

schmaydog82 t1_j4wngxn wrote

I feel like being able to write an essay isn't exactly a useful skill for most people, I think this may be a bad example. I'm definitely not mad it was something that I was taught however

venustrapsflies t1_j4wwawr wrote

It’s not the essay writing per se, but organizing and presenting an argument along with general writing skills. There may be a lot of people who can get by without these skills, but their lives would be better if they had them.

HugeAnalBeads t1_j4va3th wrote

If you cant learn these things in the 2 hours a day, every day on these subjects, then that is a failure of your teacher or curriculum

You're suggesting 10 hours a week on essay writing is useless, but taking it home and doing the 11th hour without a teacher, is the difference between knowing an essay and not?