Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

HugeAnalBeads t1_j4v3g5q wrote

You give school too much credit

Can't speak for dutch schools, but north American schools dont teach you shit. And homework should be abolished. Let kids be kids when they go home. They will learn more actually useful lessons socializing after school than quadratic equation homework. Homework places unneeded stress upon entire families, and kids that have to help raise families due to missing parents, or kids that go to the mall to meet other kids are penalized with, as you say, a B grade.

I can argue homework dumbs kids down. The fact you think a B isnt good enough shows me you're unaware your surgeon likely had all Bs. Same with the civil engineers and architechs that built the bridge you commute over twice a day.

Edit: here you go. Studies suggesting otherwise

https://www.edutopia.org/no-proven-benefits

https://www.bu.edu/articles/2019/is-homework-helpful/

https://www.gse.harvard.edu/news/ed/12/01/are-you-down-or-done-homework

−8

venustrapsflies t1_j4v6tdk wrote

I mean I hated homework, especially writing, but I have no clue how I would’ve learned to write an essay otherwise.

And with few exceptions students can’t learn complex and abstract concepts without practicing on their own. You get rid of homework and you make math and writing illiteracy worse.

schmaydog82 t1_j4wngxn wrote

I feel like being able to write an essay isn't exactly a useful skill for most people, I think this may be a bad example. I'm definitely not mad it was something that I was taught however

venustrapsflies t1_j4wwawr wrote

It’s not the essay writing per se, but organizing and presenting an argument along with general writing skills. There may be a lot of people who can get by without these skills, but their lives would be better if they had them.

HugeAnalBeads t1_j4va3th wrote

If you cant learn these things in the 2 hours a day, every day on these subjects, then that is a failure of your teacher or curriculum

You're suggesting 10 hours a week on essay writing is useless, but taking it home and doing the 11th hour without a teacher, is the difference between knowing an essay and not?

Extreme_Stuff_420 t1_j4v5dk7 wrote

Do your homework kid

sketchy_ai t1_j4vbhu0 wrote

Your comment reminded me of an old joke :)

What do you call the person who graduated dead last at medical school?

Doctor.

HugeAnalBeads t1_j4vazs7 wrote

Why? Numerous studies have suggested homework is harmful and doesn't work.

These children are basically full time at school. If these things cant be properly taught in the 32 to 40 hours during the week; then that curriculum should be rewritten

−3

PilotMuji t1_j4w99lj wrote

Have you read your links?

Your first source is an opinion and literally has a grammar mistake in the 2nd sentence of the excerpt.

Your second source highlights how there’s a debate on if homework is helpful. It mentions that the amount of homework in 6-8 yr olds increased from 8 minutes to 22 minutes, but showed no correlation in achievement. It then goes on to say that educators still think homework is necessary as they wouldn’t be able to fit in all the critical material in a school year if students weren’t practicing at home.

Your third source literally says that quality homework is needed. Too much homework is bad, but eliminating homework totally would disadvantage low income families.

HugeAnalBeads t1_j4wd8ee wrote

>educators still think homework is necessary as they wouldn’t be able to fit in all the critical material in a school year if students weren’t practicing at home

This isnt a case for homework. This is an example of a poor curriculum. Which is what I've said in every comment.

PilotMuji t1_j4wdq1n wrote

So you pick out one sentence out of everything I wrote. And then also argue against something that a link that YOU posted said.

HugeAnalBeads t1_j4we56j wrote

Dude I dont give a shit

You convinced me. Let the gimps do quadratic equations at night instead of socializing. Especially the ones with one parent that have way more responsibilities around the household. Fail those fucking kids they need to appreciate the extra 2 hours of homework after doing an entire 8 hour shift at school.

These dummies shouldve done their homework

https://in-finland.education/homework-in-finland-school/

PilotMuji t1_j4wf6us wrote

You don’t give a shit that your rebuttals fail to support your claims? Why did you even comment in the first place if not to convince others or at least have constructive debates?

Who says that we should ignore and fail students with such disadvantaged lives that they literally don’t have time to do homework? Do you think the solution is to abolish all homework for everyone, or handle these scenarios on an individual basis? At least from my anecdotal experience, there were programs and support resources that tried to target those specific individuals and other types of disadvantaged students.

HugeAnalBeads t1_j4wj2hs wrote

No I dont give a shit because I dont have a horse in the race. I'm just trying to advocate for children in single family homes who have more responsibilities than you did.

Imagine pushing this aggressively for little children to do more work after putting in an entire shift at school

Its fuckin bonkers. Kids are more depressed than they have ever been. Lets load those serfs up with more useless shit when they could be socializing and learning actual skills they will need in the future.

PilotMuji t1_j4wki0d wrote

What am I pushing aggressively? That we need to load up kids with unmanageable amounts of homework every day? All I've done is point out how your sources don't support your arguments. Why are you making up things that I haven't said, and made assumptions about my life that you can't possibly have known? Why am I being brought into the picture at all? My personal life is not relevant to this discussion.

Is it little children who are doing quadratic equations now? How old is a "little" child in your definition? If it's elementary school, your own source says that 6-8 year olds have about 22 minutes of homework per day. Those 6-8 year olds are definitely not doing quadratic equations.

Listen man, I'm all for reducing the amount of homework students get, sure. Keep advocating for children in single-parent families, more power and respect to you. But your arguments and sources are all over the place. Quite frankly, they don't form a coherent nor persuasive argument at all.

CharlySB t1_j4yfzc0 wrote

Maybe he should have done his homework when he was in school.