Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

WeDriftEternal t1_itlzfmg wrote

I don't know anyone who actually pays for this, everyone is on free subs or a friends. My guess is, the bulk of subs come from people not realizing they need to cancel their free trial.

Not that there isn't good stuff there, but its not really great recurring offer, its good to go binge a show or two then cancel, and I dont need an account for that, I can ask a friend.

jl_theprofessor t1_itmb6v8 wrote

I pay for it using my Apple One subscription, which gets me Apple TV, Apple Games, Apple Fitness, Apple Music, Apple News, and iCloud.

Fmarulezkd t1_itne06i wrote

You could had skipped mentioning apple for each product individually btw.

ADsbigboipants t1_itnev6q wrote

PR workers have to use official brand copy. It's company policy.

Prax150 t1_itmqaws wrote

Yup same here. I use Apple Music and needed the iCloud space so it's simpler to just get that family plan and have Arcade/TV in perpetuity.

ascagnel____ t1_itpzyyq wrote

My family is at the point that we need more than the 200GB package, so even the more expensive bundle is more than worthwhile for what we're paying.

Pool_Shark t1_itml51c wrote

How much does that cost?

jl_theprofessor t1_itmli8l wrote

$17.00 or $32.00 for premier. Premier has the Fitness and News app; I think the bulk of the pricing goes toward the News app since they have to pay the papers. But then again, the Fitness app has lots of training programs you can watch and work out alongside, so I presume they have to pay the trainers.

Pool_Shark t1_itmlz7g wrote

Yeah I just looked it up. Actually seems like a good value and if I wasn’t already set up in Spotify I’d probably make the switch. I do need to add more space to my iCloud which makes it tempting

cerezadietdrpepper t1_itmo8jd wrote

I made the switch when google stopped supporting google play and made me get YouTube premium. Idk how i got started on google play in the first place but I’ve been happy with Apple Music

jl_theprofessor t1_itmmk4e wrote

Yeah I used to have Spotify. There's an app to switch playlists over. Am I happy with the switch? Yeah. The audio quality is higher and if you have apple headphones they have the whole spatial audio thing. For me it made sense because I'm deep in the Apple ecosystem, but a few years ago I wouldn't have made the switch.

Kaiser_Allen t1_itn0f62 wrote

Playlist transfer is no longer allowed by Spotify, unfortunately.

Ttmode t1_itmdqxt wrote

I paid for it for a while. Had a year and a half free, paid for maybe 6 months? Currently on another 3 free months, may buy another Apple TV for the SO so we may get more free who knows.

Overall though, this has to be a money pit for Apple to this point

Pool_Shark t1_itmld23 wrote

I do and it’s simply because I never canceled it after having it for free for a year or two

Harbinger2001 t1_itndqnr wrote

They’re no longer extending your free subscription even buying Apple products so I ended up canceling rather than start paying after 2 years of free service.

pm_me_your_last_pics t1_itm75on wrote

People without iOS devices like me pay for it. Saved a little by paying for a year in advanced through Costco. Honestly, it's worth every penny. The quality is comparable to HBO already. As each year passes their catalog is getting bigger with their originals.

lightsongtheold t1_itm0dyb wrote

Even with the price increases it is still under half the price of HBO Max. TV+ gives you an equal or greater volume of new TV shows weekly than HBO Max. All they are missing is the Warner and HBO library but that is not worth the extra cash.

−11

WeDriftEternal t1_itm0iin wrote

Are you really trying to compare Apple TV to HBO. Come on dude...

lightsongtheold t1_itm2bdt wrote

Yeah. TV+ delivers similar quality programming in a similar or higher volume at half the price.

For November HBO Max has The White Lotus, Titans, Pennyworth, and Sex Lives of College Girls. For November TV+ has Shantaram, Echo 3, The Mosquito Coast, Mythic Quest, and Acapulco.

Tell me again how HBO is better value nowadays than TV+? TV+ beats them on volume and matches them on quality and still costs half the price.

−6

iamdew802 t1_itm3j36 wrote

Pretty sure they were talking about the total catalog size, not just the number of new releases.

lightsongtheold t1_itm45rf wrote

I’m saying the catalog is not worth the extra $8 a month vs TV+. It is the best library of content in the industry but I’m not paying an extra $8 a month to rewatch shows I’ve already seen when there is so much great new content getting made here and now.

−5

Soulwaxing t1_itmj86h wrote

You've seen every HBO show and all the movies they have on there? I find that hard to believe.

lightsongtheold t1_itmkhwe wrote

I watched pretty much all the TV shows I’m interested in watching years ago when they actually aired. Chances are if I was super interested in watching a TV show or movie I’d not have waited years to do so.

If I was interested in watching a specific show again I’d be happy to sub for the month but I’m more into watching new TV I’ve not already seen before. Next big rewatch I’ll do will likely be Justified (in anticipation of the new limited series) but that ain’t on HBO.

Soulwaxing t1_itqzvh7 wrote

> Chances are if I was super interested in watching a TV show or movie I’d not have waited years to do so

I mean, I guess. But there was lots of great TV that I know I missed. That I waited years later to pick up which have become some of my favorite shows. There's a ton of HBO miniseries and 1-2 season shows too that I think go under people's radar as well.

Just saying, the HBO show catalog is deep and it's quality. IMO the best TV shows are HBO shows by and large. And their new shows that are releasing are still maintaining that quality pretty much.