Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

respectthegoat t1_irphjyg wrote

Every channel has basically fallen to replaying the cheapest thing they can make or whatever they can get I syndication. IFC is the one that hurts me the most, it helped broaden my horizons when I was younger by playing tons of cult films totally unedited it introduced me to so many of my favorite directors and movies… tonight they have a 12 hour block of everybody loves Raymond.

officeDrone87 t1_irqceww wrote

> tonight they have a 12 hour block of everybody loves Raymond.

Jesus christ. I don't have ELR, but that is so far from what IFC was "about" it's not even funny.

notorious98 t1_irrcczy wrote

You think that's so far away from a channel was about? Just wait until I tell you about The Learning Channel and the Discovery Channel.

thatoneguy889 t1_irrq3xu wrote

TLC stopped calling itself The Learning Channel in 1998 and began distancing itself from the name as early as 1992. It became just the letters with no meaning behind them. MTV did the same thing in 2010.

patrickwithtraffic t1_irqhgol wrote

You might cry bullshit over this, but I genuinely think IFC is showing But I’m A Cheerleader actually began my path where I wouldn’t be homophobic. A mid-2000s middle school white boy being shown that gay people are people and not a punchline kinda blew my mind at the time. Not to mention, IFC really did have insane films that really did shape my tastes for a while, from Boogie Nights to Gregg Araki’s 90s surreal stuff and their original programming with a hipster twist on comedy. I don’t know where it really went downhill, but it pains me to see what’s it currently is.

TheSeventhAnimorph t1_irpmebd wrote

> Every channel has basically fallen to replaying the cheapest thing they can make or whatever they can get I syndication.

I don't think that's quite it. I think the actual reason is that reruns aren't appointment TV at all anymore, so when new episodes of stuff aren't airing, they just constantly play the most popular things they have the rights to because they're the most likely to get people to stop on the channel and watch rather than keeping on channel surfing. Play a several-hour-long block of something popular and you'll catch people during that whole period and maybe keep some of them for a while; play a bunch of different less popular things and your odds of catching people go way down, as do your odds of keeping the people you did catch.

ExultantSandwich t1_irq184g wrote

If you’re not into the marathon a cable channel is showing, you can always go to On Demand, or stream your preferred shows through Hulu / Netflix / HBO / whatever.

They’ve basically given up all pretense that their cable streams are relevant at all.

Coolman_Rosso t1_irr7fvl wrote

IFC is such a bummer now. Back in 08 I had a friend who had one of the fancier cable packages and that summer they would air big blocks of Whitest Kids U Know, which was a real treat for my basic cable ass.

terra_cascadia t1_irs0gbh wrote

I was just thinking this the other day. It used to show really fantastic and/or obscure filmed unedited, and was later responsible for Portlandia and other original content. Now it’s nothing but Two and a Half Men, which is a shame.

cuckoodev t1_irrzmgz wrote

I miss the old IFC. I found so many amazing movies through that channel. Logo, too.

[deleted] t1_irqv6l7 wrote

Hahahahaha omg. Welll I do love that show tho …