Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

twbrn t1_j2c7tpz wrote

I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly they moved the plot along in the first season. Knowing the source material, I know there's a lot more action to come, but it might have been tempting for them to try and drag out the events leading up to where the season left off, if only to guarantee themselves more content for later seasons. I'm glad they didn't go that way.

DisneyDreams7 t1_j2dkgwa wrote

A lot of people were disappointed with the timeskip, even George R R Martin hated it and said it was rushed.

−92

twbrn t1_j2drkwm wrote

No, he did not. People need to stop making shit up and putting it in his mouth.

> Very briefly, however, I think Ryan has handled the “jumps” very well, and I love love love both the younger Alicent and Rhaenyra and the adult versions, and the actresses who play them. (Truth be told, we have an incredible cast, and I love all of them). Do I wish we’d had more time to explore the relationship between Rhaenyra and Ser Harwin, the marriage of Daemon and Laena and their time in Pentos, the birth of various and sundry children (and YES, Alicent gave Viserys four children, three sons and a daughter, their youngest son Daeron is down in Oldtown, we just did not have the time to work him in this season), and everything else we had to skip? Sure.

> But there are only so many minutes in an episode (more on HBO than on the network shows I once wrote for), and only so many episodes in a season.

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2022/10/11/random-musings/

QueasyStress0 t1_j2e8pj1 wrote

Not only that, but I find the idea of George not appreciating the qualities of a time skip really weird, considering he is probably wishing he had gone with the original plan of time skipping asoiaf to Daenerys arriving in Westeros, back when he could.

Then again, television and book writing are two completely different things.

jl_theprofessor t1_j2cg133 wrote

It’s too early for this type of article.

sevsnapey t1_j2cvchk wrote

a year from now would still be too early. we need it max 1 month out from the premier which is presumably early-mid 2024 based on the filming schedule

Mokubat t1_j2c83x0 wrote

What's there to tease the books are finished

TheeHeadAche t1_j2c9lc5 wrote

The exact details of blood and cheese are up in the air tho. A lot of room for good tv adaptation

CommanderL4 t1_j2d7cto wrote

I dont hope they do some bullshit like actually larys was behind it.

yoaver t1_j2dsgbb wrote

Mysaria is the likeliest option

MrBoliNica t1_j2dsxkf wrote

it makes the most sense, both based on the book and what the show has laid out

plaidtattoos t1_j2e9lia wrote

I hope that's not the case. I thought her acting (or maybe just the fake accent?) was horrible in S1. If she has to carry the weight of being a major part of the story, that would not be great.

TheeHeadAche t1_j2eid36 wrote

The books have her around as quiet a major player

They could recast her.

BoxOfNothing t1_j2e2tlg wrote

Isn't that one of the older theories that has been around basically since the book was published? It's hardly like it'd be out of nowhere

itayfeder t1_j2cvx3n wrote

I just read the book, and I have to say, if they adapt closely to the books, season 2 will be spectacular.

[deleted] t1_j2egsmp wrote

[deleted]

−18

PooPartySoraka t1_j2ejluo wrote

this is the funniest contrarianism post i've seen in a while, thanks for the laugh

[deleted] t1_j2csw0t wrote

[deleted]

CommanderL4 t1_j2d7av2 wrote

in the books the knight murder happens in a tourney So easy enough to be swept under the rug.

Rhaenys in the final episodes acted like an idiot. your granddaughters are betrothed to one side of the conflict stop acting like your not involved

QueasyStress0 t1_j2e9dqt wrote

Wtf is that logic.

Her granddaughters are betrothed, so law and faith bound them to to Rhaenyras boys, meaning they couldn’t escape their fate with them?

Rhaenyra is literally, by law and faith, the Queen of the seven Kingdoms. And people here and there are just ignoring that.

Rhaenys did what was best for her house and family. If Corlys had decided to side with the Greens, Baela and Rhaena would just not be married to Jace and Luke anymore.

D3monFight3 t1_j2e6g8t wrote

That's just what works with people nowadays, CW level shows with big budgets.

QueasyStress0 t1_j2ea1ri wrote

What a sad strawman argument.

Criston had literally just learnt Laenors biggest secret. Why would he try to inflate the situation even more?

Rhaenys isn’t written as the boss bitch you are so trying to hate the writers for writing her as. The irony of her character is that even when she calls out Alicent for bowing down to men, when she gets the chance to end that, she backs down to just go ask the man of her House what to do.

But do keep trying. You will eventually find a logical enough argument to hate on the show.

−8

SolitarySnail80 t1_j2ena0j wrote

> What a sad strawman argument.

What exactly was their straw-man? Don't just throw out reddit buzzwords because you think they'll make you sound smart.

Laenor doesn't know Criston knows his secret and there are a dozen people other than Laenor in that room who could want Criston punished for the murder.

And you're straw-manning that the argument is that they're trying to write Rhaenys as a "boss bitch" when their argument was very clearly that the writers invented a scene that makes Rhaenys look like a callous and foolish mass murderer.

QueasyStress0 t1_j2epp4j wrote

Wtf I never said they wrote Rhaenys as a bad bitch. The other commentor said they did, which is incredibly false.

In your attempt to prove me wrong you just agreed with me lol

−6

SolitarySnail80 t1_j2eq8hf wrote

> The other commentor said they did

They literally did not which is why you are the one making a straw man. Please try to keep up.

paulee_da_rat t1_j2cgrf8 wrote

Seems like 3 seasons total will be a good arc. Anything longer than that and my grandkids will need to tell me how the TV show adapted the source material.

D-Ursuul t1_j2e8c6m wrote

Well what else was he gonna say? Do people really think a writer is ever gonna say "eh to be honest I think most of the fans will hate this one"

DBCooperAllStar t1_j2dr2i9 wrote

I’m more disappointed and it possible coming out in 2024 than the plot. 🤷‍♂️

drakesylvan t1_j2e1y4e wrote

I like the series but it feels really rushed. Like things are happening constantly and I'm not sure that I like that as much as a bit slower burn from seasons 1-4 of game of thrones

SPE825 t1_j2fn2y6 wrote

Or is it, “I don’t THINK you’ll be dissappointed”, lol

AutoModerator t1_j2c5vmo wrote

The 2022 Edition of the r/television Favorite Shows Survey is now open!

You may vote by clicking here.

If you have any questions or concerns, please comment here.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

stinkv3 t1_j2duehb wrote

Why do I like this quote more than "you WON'T be disappointed"

wetdog90 t1_j2e7djy wrote

So what should be next episode will Be the finale. Is that what I’m taking from this article? Are they going to drag out that much tension?

Mentoman72 t1_j2ebjwf wrote

Aside from a couple odd moments (the dragon under the floor, come onnnnn) I really liked the first season. Excited to see more.

Oniisankayle t1_j2fbemf wrote

Just don't pull a D&D and you're good

ace_of_spade_789 t1_j2fedwv wrote

Everytime I see a show runner or writer of a tv show say this type of thing I'm disappointed.

So I'm disappointed.

playnite t1_j2e733g wrote

But I was already disappointed for season 1

WeDriftEternal t1_j2c8rqt wrote

So this is like the 8th time this has got posted...

−1

Gorcnor t1_j2csra0 wrote

Dragon goes brrrrrrr, some more family members bang. /Shit post.

−1

themark504 t1_j2d4tfr wrote

I was disappointed with season one

−1

HiddenHolding t1_j2f7vfc wrote

I'm calling it now: when Daenerys Targaryen got carried off at the end of GoT, she wasn't dead. The dragon ate her...and after she slid down his gullet...she was...
pooped out into a time distortion!

This ended up sending her back to the days of House of the Dragon.
Why? Because the casting in this show needs a serious shot in the arm. Everyone looks like stand-ins for the actual actors who should be playing the parts, but refused because HBO offered pennies on the dollar and lots of exposure bucks while they were casting this show.

−2

SlimeTime3 t1_j2ekkdk wrote

YOUR SHOW IS BORING AS FUCK MR WRITER

−4

iangunn t1_j2cn93i wrote

I won't be disappointed because I won't be watching. I got through most of the first episode and cared not a single wit about any of the characters.

−7

Dman125 t1_j2e93kr wrote

Probably because none of them actually matter. Some cripple winds up on that chair for no good reason the end.

−2

QueasyStress0 t1_j2eax4d wrote

Hear this people?

Walter White dies in the end, Breaking Bad ain’t worth watching.

Shodan30 t1_j2cdr38 wrote

Lemme guess... one word..sounds like....incest?

−8

_APR_ t1_j2cxtux wrote

> Lemme guess... one word..sounds like....incest?

Come on, it's not an incest but a generations approved tradition if Targariens or Habsburgs do it.

Ylanton t1_j2ccss2 wrote

They should have sacked Sara Mess. Her writing is terrible and she has a really screwed up and biased view towards the plot. In short season 2 writing is going to be disastrous and only actors might save it.

−10

Murky-Meeting-5826 t1_j2ck1sv wrote

Mind explaining this "biased" view of the plot? Seems like a bullshit statement to me but I'll listen to an explanation.

TrippyZippee t1_j2dosph wrote

She stated in a behind-the-episode that the only reason for Rheanyra to burst out of the dragon pit was to have "a cold dragon moment". That pissed off a lot of people

QueasyStress0 t1_j2eao06 wrote

Nah, that’s not it.

People were mad she said Daemon Targaryen is a grey character.

I’m not even gonna list all the crimes and stuff he’s done. People who try to make him out to be a puppy that became a good person for his love of Rhaenyra are just weird.

D-Ursuul t1_j2e8e9b wrote

Weird considering that didn't happen

[deleted] t1_j2c7n9p wrote

[deleted]

−66

ceaguila84 t1_j2c8ko1 wrote

oh look the angry incel is still here

sevsnapey t1_j2cbduy wrote

i always thought the hatred characters like joffrey faced were overstated but there really are people in the world who feel seething rage at fictional characters

Murky-Meeting-5826 t1_j2ckd44 wrote

Agreed. I think it comes from a certain level of "emotional immaturity". Basically certain people have to literally visualize themselves as characters and take sides etc to enjoy something. So when a character is evil they somewhat see it happening to themselves. There's a friend of mine who hates any character who opposes the protagonist. Doesn't matter if the protagonist is a piece of shit themselves. He's also extremely emotionally immature.