Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

RAM9999 t1_j22pgzv wrote

Severance - so innovative.

Better Call Saul - great finale to a storied franchise.

Welcome to Wrexham - each episode is different in style and content so it's not just a predictable documentary about a soccer club.

keatz_tweetz t1_j26t84r wrote

Amazing. I do a top 10 list every year and these were literally my top 3. We have a lot in common!

alliecat41893 t1_j22x4ws wrote

The Bear

biotofu t1_j23be4q wrote

I was thinking either the bear or andor and at the end of the day I think the bear did a better job with the direction. I really felt like being in a high octane intense workplace character drama. Everything's just fire

w6750 t1_j25zkp7 wrote

That show is one of the most stressful things I’ve ever watched. Does it get better in that regard?

alliecat41893 t1_j260ylq wrote

It is extremely stressful and claustrophobic. Which, in my opinion,cements the tensions and the claustrophic nature of a small kitchen. The tensions are more intense because of the close-up framing, not many or any wide shots. Each episode gets more stressful until, I feel the stress climax of episode 6 and 7. Episode 6 leads up to the mess that is episode 7 and the later relaxing of some of the stresses in episode 8. The amazing thing is that there were no hand models/actors, meaning each actor was actually chopping the food.

WillOWitt t1_j279j9x wrote

I have mixed feelings about this show. The way it’s filmed and the acting is spectacular but the actual story wasn’t very good and the ending made no sense.

Jakl428 t1_j22ntgw wrote

Reservation dogs is amazing.

weshric t1_j22t5y1 wrote

The writing and acting are both brilliant.

mochi_artichoki t1_j22pmn2 wrote

Station Eleven

Spire2000 t1_j24cqiu wrote

So I see Station Eleven a few times here and I wonder why a Fire station network show is so adored.

Wrong show. Guess I’m watching Station Eleven tonight.

willthefreeman t1_j26sse8 wrote

Severance.

Currently really enjoying station 11 and season 4 of Atlanta.

MaDSteeZe t1_j23lhyj wrote

Andor

lalalandcity1 t1_j265wzd wrote

The best show by far. Consistent quality. Hope season 2 matches or exceeds!

predict_irrational t1_j22uw4z wrote

House of the Dragon, Andor, Ted Lasso, Station Eleven, Succession, Euphoria, The White Lotus, Better Call Saul, Barry, Hacks, Winning Time, Mare of Easttown.

If I have to pick one it's Succession.

Memoruiz7 t1_j22y98k wrote

You should try severance.

predict_irrational t1_j22zppd wrote

Oh, yes I watched Severance. Great show.

Memoruiz7 t1_j22ztlq wrote

We seem to have same taste. Just wanted to make a suggestion. 😊

predict_irrational t1_j230129 wrote

I worked in an office that felt like a prison with people harassing me all the time. I did that for seven years so Severance really spoke to me but there were things I think they walked around or maybe left out for season 2. Jury is still out.

VespasianTheMortal OP t1_j22wtrh wrote

That's a really good list

I have watched about half of these and they're awesome

willthefreeman t1_j26sv2m wrote

This is also exactly my list of this year. You should add severance.

shhhhh-its-a-secret t1_j22w68z wrote

I can't be the only one that thinks the first season of white lotus was a snoozefest.

−1

borderheeler t1_j27a8ff wrote

Totally a snooze fest. I thought I was the only one who pretty much hated it as trite as heck.

rocker2014 t1_j22nta9 wrote

Better Call Saul for a returning series. The final season was impeccable. For a new series, The Bear. I've watched it three times now. I can't get enough of it. Something about it is just so addicting.

ChazzLamborghini t1_j257rm8 wrote

I feel like this must be great because I haven’t been able to watch it. I work in the restaurant and industry and it felt so much like work that I didn’t want to spend my time off the clock in that headspace. I can’t speak to how good it is narratively but damn is it accurate

Silver_Lion t1_j24ny02 wrote

Do you find you get something different out of it each time you watch it? Personally, I really enjoyed it, but I struggle to go back and immediately rewatch a series. I’ll probably rewatch season 1 when 2 comes out

rocker2014 t1_j24rqnf wrote

Well, for one, my first rewatch was after I got back from a trip to Chicago so that added an element to it personally. But, the third was solely based off of wanted to watch it again. The second and third time I definitely caught more. It's such a fast paced show, you are bound to miss little details. But beyond that, I just love the characters, I love the story and the feel of it. It's funny, heartfelt, and personal. It's just a great show that definitely doesn't deteriorate on repeat viewings.

grimvox t1_j238rfk wrote

Yellowjackets

Nymeriasrevenge t1_j277lcb wrote

So glad I didn’t have to scroll forever to find a Yellowjackets mention! So good

Smintjes t1_j247frv wrote

I had the most fun with Only Murders in the Building.

Best book adaptation ever: Slow Horses.

donaldinoo t1_j27qg1n wrote

I fell asleep so often during Only Murders in the Building. Got through two episodes in a week.

xyzzyzyzzyx t1_j230ed5 wrote

Slow Horses Season 1 and 2

cda555 t1_j22pup8 wrote

Bad Sisters. It just got better with every episode

mikepictor t1_j24xz4d wrote

People are not talking about this show enough. So good

jfb3 t1_j22u5al wrote

I'm bingeing Line of Duty right now.
It's the best TV show I've seen in a few years.

VespasianTheMortal OP t1_j22wveu wrote

Each interrogation scene is just class. Has more drama and acting that many shows have in their whole seasons

jyost1 t1_j24sd0m wrote

Such a fantastic crime drama! One of my favorites for sure!

borderheeler t1_j27a0ze wrote

Seasons 2 and 3 are pretty freakin' amazing!

jfb3 t1_j27a93r wrote

True.
I'm 2 shows into season 5 right now.

donaldinoo t1_j27qk4f wrote

Other than True Detective and The Wire it was the best crime show I’ve seen

jfb3 t1_j27qsu6 wrote

Yes to those.

But, I thought The Wire was a bit inconsistent. Most of it was excellent but there were some parts that just dragged. Overall it was excellent.

bugmom t1_j24taa6 wrote

Wednesday. i needed something escapist and entertaining and Wednesday delivered. Every cast member nailed it.

LumixShill t1_j24c8p3 wrote

I don't see it mentioned on any of these lists, despite being quite popular when it was released (very early this year) - but I just finished rewatching Peacemaker and still enjoyed it so much.

Some of the jokes do get a little repetitive, especially on a repeat viewing, but the emotional beats are surprisingly hard hitting for a show that doesn't shy away from pure absurdity.

It's the thing I've enjoyed watching most this year.

Best thing, though? I got around to watching Over the Garden Wall for the first time and I cannot believe it took me this long. So charming, and well executed.

tatertottytot t1_j25g59x wrote

I loved Peacemaker! So many parts had me genuinely cracking up. I hear they are making another season but haven’t heard much about it so that’s a bummer. I think James Gunn is really focused on DC so I hope season 2 isn’t an afterthought.

quick_shoot t1_j22qsl2 wrote

Bad Sisters, Slow Horses

imeeme t1_j24ws73 wrote

White Lotus

CaptainBignuts t1_j24z4rt wrote

The Wire. Was told it was good many times and finally decided to give it a shot.

Basic premise is a bunch of ragtag Baltimore City Police rejects are sent to work under a disgraced lieutenant who gets an angry judge to sign off on a wire tap on pay phones in the inner city projects.

The first few episodes kind of do background info on the main characters (good guys and bad guys) and then wooooof, we are off to the races. Holy shit was it good.

Fee_Obvious t1_j22qc6d wrote

Better Call Saul, the whole series is just perfect.

Now, for new shows, I think I’d go with Severance or Andor.

suzanne2961 t1_j24508a wrote

Shorsey (totally depends on your sense of humor) but I’ve already rewatched the entire season 3 times

Deerok632OFA t1_j23kmgn wrote

Severance is the best show by far imo

StringAggravating365 t1_j25fft7 wrote

I watched soooo much TV/streaming this year. My list is a mix of new shows and shows off-the-air that I caught up on. If I had to choose only one as the best, I'd go with Harlots. I adore that show.

• Ghosts (US)
  • Abbott Elementary 
  • Severance 
  • Stranger Things
  • Ted Lasso
  • Star (I didn't watch it when it originally aired. It's delightfully dramatic and the original songs are fun.)
  • Sex Lives of College Girls
  • Harlots (so good and I liked it better than the similar Bridgerton)
  • The Gilded Age (can't wait for season 2)
  • Power: Force

zygned t1_j22oy3r wrote

The recruit

s3rila t1_j24bwhb wrote

Severance , Extraordinary Attorney Woo or Andor.

can't choose which one.

Archamasse t1_j24e0mo wrote

Station Eleven by a country mile. I have Line of Duty lined up, but I have an awful feeling it's destined to jump the shark.

borderheeler t1_j27af0i wrote

Line of Duty is worth it! It peaks a bit in seasons 2 and 3 but it never comes close to jumping the shark. Go for it.

954kevin t1_j25gsr9 wrote

Andor, House of the Dragon and Arcane

dizzyducky14 t1_j25r3qw wrote

Looove Arcane.

954kevin t1_j25vwgg wrote

I watch a lot of animated stuff and this series is outstanding. Just all around really well done. I've watched it through twice now and still looking forward to my third!

matrix8369 t1_j25m24a wrote

its old but I really like watching the seasons of "Channel Zero" from sci fi channel.

Archamasse t1_j25n5pl wrote

Only saw the first season of that, but I loved it and thought it was very unfairly overlooked.

[deleted] t1_j22wgou wrote

[deleted]

VespasianTheMortal OP t1_j22wqcg wrote

Damn it's been a great year for you jaha

Mad Men and The Wire are two of my favorites of all time

anembor t1_j236aj0 wrote

Severance

Avenue 5

eMouse2k t1_j24tgg4 wrote

If you haven't seen "The Brink" on HBO, and enjoyed Avenue 5, I would highly recommend it.

theannihilator91 t1_j23euiw wrote

Slow horses Rap sh*t Andor For all mankind Abbott elementary

safe-word t1_j23f4gg wrote

The Rehearsal

gonzagylot00 t1_j25ezma wrote

Such an unusual show. HBO or Fielder should actually put that bar somewhere (maybe Vancouver). Just rename it Nathan's.

McCabbe t1_j23goum wrote

Severance

cptlf t1_j23j3eh wrote

Paper Girls

tkinsey3 t1_j2403jj wrote

Sandman or Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

ubpfc t1_j24ab61 wrote

“Andor” and “His dark materials”

CokeMooch t1_j24xewr wrote

So many great shows this year, since everyone’s mentioned the obvious I wanna throw True Story into the ring. Wesley Snipes’ performance was insane, the twists and turns each episode had me on the edge of my seat. Wasn’t flawless but it was damn good.

johnp299 t1_j24xj40 wrote

The Bear

The Wire (just got to bingeing this one)

Doggy4 t1_j2587i5 wrote

Barry Season 3

scromlin t1_j25mlqp wrote

My Brilliant Friend

DerelictInfinity t1_j269orn wrote

The Bear is one of the best depictions of working in a high pressure food service environment that I’ve ever seen. Every episode felt like an anxiety attack.

Yotsubauniverse t1_j26uw1j wrote

The Bear, Reservation Dogs, and Abbott Elementary. I also introduced myself to Derry Girls and Sex Education this year and boy am I glad I did. I absolutely adored those shows!

PalmyGamingHD t1_j275y8y wrote

Andor, Taskmaster (both UK and NZ versions)

lavt10 t1_j277o2c wrote

Squid Game and Midnight Mass

AutoModerator t1_j22njgl wrote

The 2022 Edition of the r/television Favorite Shows Survey is now open!

You may vote by clicking here.

If you have any questions or concerns, please comment here.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

Fawqueue t1_j22r0ry wrote

Best: Andor.

I actually delayed watching it for longer than I should have because I was so tired of bad Star Wars offerings. That show restored my faith in the franchise.

(Bonus) Should have been the best but was easily the worst: Rings of Power.

So much missed opportunity. They had everything they needed - a huge budget, an incredible IP, and a completely untapped period in the lore that is where the franchise's most known villain has his best moments.

gszr89 t1_j238exg wrote

Better Call Saul season 6

LimeyPeanut t1_j23hxjx wrote

Late year entry but if you like 1960s Cold War spy stuff then A Spy Among Friends has been brilliant to watch this last week with a fine Scotch and a roaring fire

EatingADamnSalad t1_j25pyic wrote

I can only assume it’s based off the book with the same name. It was a great book! I’ll have to check it out.

Practical-System-379 t1_j23l4yt wrote

My top 10 in no particular order:

• Andor
  • House of the Dragon
  • Euphoria
  • Stranger Things
  • The Peripheral
  • Better Call Saul
  • The Boys
  • The Sandman
  • The White Lotus

Shows that would probably have made it on the list if I had watched the full run of episodes are The Bear, Severance, and Atlanta.

Overall this was not the greatest year for TV, as it sort of got eclipsed by all of the great movie releases. It’ll be interesting to see whether the big screen will go back to outshining the small screen now that COVID is over.

HowardBunnyColvin t1_j23mmr4 wrote

Probably STAT (Quebec TV) or Gentleman and Young Lady Kdrama

booonzy t1_j23rp4j wrote

Better Call Saul, The Bear, and Severance. Great year of tv. Most impactful was American Horror Story NYC. The way they ended that season landed. Very well done.

garnettgemm t1_j23rqfg wrote

Warrior Nun

also yellowjackets

azul360 t1_j24t6xj wrote

Bosch and CB Strike for sure. Deciding to try shows that normally wouldn't be my thing paid off :D.

Tinycats26 t1_j2554r6 wrote

Ghosts (uk) and Alice in Borderland.

ChazzLamborghini t1_j257evj wrote

Andor. It’s everything I’ve wanted in a Star Wars project for a long time. It’s compelling, it’s adult, and I love how it used the traditional 3 episode arc structure to feel fresh

LightningVulpez t1_j2596yj wrote

Where's the Love for " We Own this City"?

​

Also Andor was fantastic, but so many people already know that.

cistacea t1_j25dhqs wrote

Infinity train, Severance, and Siberia (2013)

WritingTheDream t1_j25g6js wrote

Better Call Saul, did a rewatch binge of the first five seasons then watched the sixth season as it aired.

its_Preshh t1_j25gzlv wrote

Attack on Titan if animation counts

Severance if animation doesn't count

GhostTea t1_j25pc2z wrote

Just found out about “Miracle Workers” such a great show

MonteCristo85 t1_j25rnqu wrote

Do mini series count? The Inside Man was really good.

Fatmanp t1_j25whe5 wrote

I really loved Tokyo Vice

highd t1_j25xy4a wrote

Peaky Blinders putting off watching that show forever and what a treat!

applepirates t1_j25yw8e wrote

Best would probably be Better Call Saul and Severance, and favorites would be Our Flag Means Death and Reservation Dogs!

aggie_hero7 t1_j26033a wrote

Six Feet Under, Rings of Power, House of the Dragon

alozsoc t1_j266q7v wrote

Like so many of the shows mentioned. But nothing talking about Sort Of on hbo. So good!!

ferispan t1_j2692q6 wrote

Severance, Andor, the Bear and HOTD

ferispan t1_j269749 wrote

Severance, Andor, the Bear, this is going to hurt and HOTD

RyanMFoley74 t1_j26ghth wrote

I was late to the game (released in 2021) but MIDNIGHT MASS on Netflix was phenomenal.

LaxSagacity t1_j26gjmd wrote

It's a few years old but I watched Counterpart this year and it was fantastic. Also Severance and Andor were really good.

EMskins21 t1_j26souk wrote

The Expanse, The Last Kingdom

HHSquad t1_j26w5c1 wrote

For the first time?

The Expanse (entire show)

Better Call Saul (Season 6.....worthy)

mattwp73 t1_j26z3ik wrote

Lots of great TV this year, from The Bear to Severance to Andor, but I don’t think anything hit me quite like The Rehearsal.

K4m30 t1_j26za7j wrote

I have to say every part of Hawkeye was incredible.

12345-password t1_j271yfz wrote

Dark. And the audio in it is amazing, the sound people were brilliant.

sarcastic_fellow t1_j279p99 wrote

Derry Girls. I never thought I’d like a show about 4 Northern Irish Catholic teens and a wee English fella.

alfre88 t1_j27afan wrote

For me: 1. Stranger things 2 white lotus II 3. Mare of easttown 4. Drag race 5. Five days at memorial

VentusHermetis t1_j27fnnp wrote

Barely started it, but Dennoh Coil.

Also Hunter x Hunter and The Boys.

inrcp t1_j27ovlq wrote

Midnight Mass was amazing, Hamish Linklater was brilliant. Sad he didn't get an Emmy nod.

The Patient, The Bear, Dragula Titans, Better Call Saul, The Rehearsal. Awesome year for television in all forms.

spinereader81 t1_j2biv4q wrote

Lost Ollie

Heartstopper

Juvenile Justice (Korean)

Eternal Yesterday (Japanese)

Hurts Like Hell (Thai)

Kill Heel (Korean)

Delta1262 t1_j22szps wrote

Tied between BoJack Horseman and Andor.

ice_prince t1_j23c0qu wrote

Everyone here is talking about male dominant shows; can we get some power female suggestions please? I love Beth in Yellowstone; but no soaps.

−1

dizzyducky14 t1_j25qbqy wrote

My favorite show is Arcane, regardless of male/female main roles. Might be my favorite TV show ever.