Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

maciver6969 t1_j58kdpw wrote

If they do it again it may finally kill "network" television. Streaming is gaining so much so quick it is already killing normal cable network tv, this may be the final straw.

KumagawaUshio t1_j5a31bw wrote

Network broadcast TV exists because of the NFL the rest is all money losing filler and has been for the last 5 odd years.

Cable TV will continue as long as people pay for the bundle even as new scripted content on cable TV disappears for cheap 'reality' TV.

If the writers go on strike its going to mainly affect streaming services that rely on constant new scripted content.

quinyd t1_j5e1lfb wrote

Funny thing is, outside the US we can get NFL as live+on demand streaming without cable. I pay like $10/mo for every game live and on demand (and on demand doesn’t have ads). This also includes all nfl network shows like red zone and hard knocks.

DanMarinoTambourineo t1_j5h55jt wrote

You can stream any game that would be televised in your area in the us too. It’s free on yahoo sports

dragonmp93 t1_j5bdbzg wrote

Eh, I think that Streaming may suffer more from a writers strike, I mean the first one is what caused the onslaught of realities like the Kardashians and Honey Boo Boo.

Cable is already a zombie anyways.

meatball77 t1_j5jydc6 wrote

Netflix will be fine because they have so much foreign made content.

StephenHunterUK t1_j5bv0r2 wrote

The WGA only operates in North America and Canada IIRC or programmes made by those countries; streamers can get content from other places instead.

OneGoodRib t1_j5bpnyk wrote

Even though so many people are fed up with streaming services and how they either have shitty shows or shows that get cancelled after a week, and also have tons of really weird reality tv shows but the shows seem to be more expensive than the shows on network tv?