Submitted by Okepolo t3_z7fexq in tifu

I’ve (30m) been growing out my hair for the better part of the year whereas normally I keep it short(relevant later trust me). This morning, I went to go clean my ears with a qtip as I normally do every so often and when I went to put it in I hit hair. This is where I fu’d. Instead of putting the qtip down on the counter, I just pushed it in my ear so it’d stay there while I moved the hair out of the way. Sadly my big paw jammed the qtip even further as I went to push my hair back. Immediately cried out in pain and fell to the floor. The agony I tell you!!! Once I’m able to get up I put my finger in and sure enough there’s blood on it. Waited for my doctor to open up and went in sure enough they said I have blood still built up and they can see lots of damage. Follow up with an expert Friday morning, fingers crossed I didn’t do anything permanent. In the meantime I’m stuck with pain meds, ear drops, and wondering if I should stop growing my hair

TL;DR pushed qtip in ear, much blood, much pain waiting for expert

ETA: went to expert yesterday. Doc said I def had made a hole but luckily it’s healed! Now I just have to go back in 2 mos to make sure the blood clot behind the healed hole goes away. Big lesson, don’t stick qtips in your ear! Just use them to clean the bowl of your ear(doc said that’s where your ear will push all the bad gunk to)

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

100redonions t1_iy6l7x9 wrote

Your hair is NOT the problem here....

NerdHerder77 t1_iy6s6vg wrote

Your first mistake is sticking anything in your ear other than ear buds. Ears are self-cleaning. As long as you get the outer cup and lobes clean with soap and water 4-7 times a week, you need not touch the inside.

Fairyhaven13 t1_iy99gg4 wrote

That's not the case for everyone. My ears produce an overabundance of wax and I either have to use professional ear cleaning kits or get them flushed by doctors regularly. I used an earspoon for the first time a few weeks ago (gently!) and pulled out a centimeter of wax. It was like my ears turned the volume up.

Glittering-Hurricane t1_iy9ahkb wrote

Same. I've had to go to the doctor to have my ears washed at least once per year since I was a little kid. It used to scare me so much. But the feeling of suddenly being able to hear every tiny little sound again was wonderful every time, and the first time I remember thinking "did clothes really make this much noise when I moved?"

NerdHerder77 t1_iy9geuk wrote

Absolutely valid, but that's what professional ear cleaning kits are designed for. Qtips were invented in 1923 for mothers to help clean babies. Why people stick a blunt stick tipped with cotton inside the ear canal is baffling to me.

nyctophiliclilii t1_iy93wdm wrote

physically hurts to read, op. all the luck for your ear

icantthinkrn3 t1_iy9epbf wrote

You don't have to cut your hair but there are no short cuts with long hair. Hopefully your oain subsides soon and there's no permanent damage.

CamBearCookie t1_iya6ks9 wrote

It's so fucking easy to bump a qtip in your ear for some goddamn reason. I did it once. It feels horrific.