Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Assertive_Pickle t1_j5lzgq6 wrote

kids get drunk faster than adults, ok. and I can drink whenever I want.

−103

Desperate-Ad729 t1_j5lzyzw wrote

I understand that, but 3 minutes is a very short time.

dpg3456 t1_j5n10l4 wrote

it takes something like an hour to process one drink.

Edit: changed shot to drink

yonoznayu t1_j5nf1u5 wrote

Interesting. It takes me not 3 minutes but maybe 15,20 min to feel a shot. Basically until the next round comes despite consuming allegedly alcohol-suppressing Slavic food alongside it. Not my culture so what do I know but damn, I do have a very low threshold.

Coctyle t1_j5oaxni wrote

That’s ridiculous. You don’t process alcohol at all and you can feel the effects of it immediately.

−1

akennelley t1_j5onlss wrote

I have to believe he means processing the drink takes an hour to clear. Alcohol obviously takes immediate effect, and somewhere around an hour per glass/bottle/shot to start to wear off.

dpg3456 t1_j5ozjen wrote

Coctyle t1_j5phoxc wrote

Metabolizing alcohol is what makes you sober. It is the process of removing the alcohol from the body. That is the process that takes one hour per drink (for an average person).

The comment you originally replied to was in regards to the time it takes to get drunk. The person was doubting that OP got drunk beyond the capacity for rational thought in three minutes.

I share the doubts about the veracity of the post, but it absolutely does not take one hour for alcohol to get into a person’s bloodstream and make the person intoxicated. That’s would be a misunderstanding of what it means to metabolize alcohol.

dpg3456 t1_j5plvek wrote

I was using the term process in the sense of the alcohol being broken down then released by the body. But I see where the confusion came from.

Coctyle t1_j5pibg2 wrote

As stated in another response, metabolizing alcohol is the process of breaking it down and removing it from the body. Yes, the body processes alcohol to remove it, but alcohol does not need to be processed by the digestive system to get into the bloodstream and make a person feel drunk.

dpg3456 t1_j5pm55a wrote

After reading another comment, I see where the misunderstanding came from. My response didn't really have much to do with the comment I replied to.

dpg3456 t1_j5plnde wrote

That's fair and agree. I didn't say that though. I only said process. Which to me, would mean the processing of said chemical to it's final form and being released by the body.