Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

kroush104 t1_itd7xx7 wrote

I’m missing your point. Brits and Germans soccer teams don’t use silly mascots either.

It’s really only stupid American sports which feel the need to do this.

EpicAura99 t1_itd8yh8 wrote

First of all, what I’m saying is, do Arsenal players and fans run around pretending to be a building that stores weapons? No? Well Seattle Seahawks players and fans don’t run around pretending to be Seahawks, moron.

Second, it’s called “culture”. I’m not sure you’re familiar with it. It means, “people in different places do different things”, and contrary to your belief, it’s an ok thing! We do things differently. Chill about it. It doesn’t affect you.

kroush104 t1_itdardp wrote

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Do you think “Arsenal” is a mascot?!?! Lol. No, it’s a location. It’s the name of the district in London where the team is located.

No EPL team has a mascot. Nor do any teams in Germany or Spain or France or Italy.

EpicAura99 t1_itdb9kx wrote

Yes I’m fucking aware. I was making a point. It’s the name of the team. Some mascots aren’t the same as the team name. Stanford’s team is the Cardinals, as in the color. Their mascot is this horrific looking tree abomination, which represents Palo Alto, the tree on the school logo, and the tree that the city of Palo Alto is named after.

These elements (while not always) can contain a great deal of local or historical symbolism.

kroush104 t1_itdic48 wrote

I was using the term “mascot” as a colloquialism for a team name which is something other than the location of the team.

So the Cardinal (which for the record, is Stanford’s team name, not Cardinals) or Bears or Eagles or Tigers or whatever..

The_JohnnyPisspot t1_itfb3u6 wrote

So Canadian MLB, NBA, and NHL teams don't exist? Japanese baseball teams don't exist?

This is not exclusively an American thing