Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Hanginon t1_ixm466u wrote

"Some people think that eggs with darker yolks have a stronger flavour. We’ve tried all sorts of eggs with different coloured yolks cooked in all different ways and we haven’t noticed any difference in taste so far."

That right there showed me these people aren't worth listening to. Egg flavor definitely gets richer with a better diet which also effects the darkness of the yolk.

HanzoXHanzo t1_ixmr8md wrote

J. Kenji Lopez-Alt did a test. He got a bunch of people, showed them different eggs before having them taste them, and they all unanimously agreed the more orange yolk tasted better and richer. Then he did the same test again, but with the people wearing blindfolds. The results got completely skewed and there was no winner. Now, maybe someone with excellent taste would be able to tell the subtle differences, but the average person definitely can't. Saying that though, visual appeal adds to flavor. So if a yolk is orange, it adds to your enjoyment and makes the egg taste better in your mind (which is why the first test had those results).

AdorableParasite t1_ixmfoma wrote

This. Just commented on the stark difference between the pale yolk from store bought eggs and the vibrant orange yolk my mom's chicken produce. Now maybe it's not causation but correlation, but still. Orange yolks = eggs from heaven.

Mag-NL t1_ixmnshq wrote

While it's true that the diet effects the quality. The mistake people make is thinking that a darker yolk color means a better diet.

twcochran t1_ixn5h21 wrote

It’s the same with salmon, they can be made darker with food additives that do nothing to enhance flavor or overall nutrition. Good eggs have vibrant color, but not all vibrantly colored eggs are good.

weeone t1_iy95ezx wrote

I've noticed that wild caught salmon are a brilliant shade of red while farm-raised tend to be paler. I notice a difference in taste too (unless it's just my mind paying tricks on me).

AquaQuad t1_ixmytx0 wrote

We’ve tried all sorts of eggs with different coloured yolks cooked in all different ways and we haven’t noticed any difference in taste so far

Sounds like something a pale egg producer would say.

rkhbusa t1_ixlmleo wrote

It’s not just the colour the overall quality is affected. Shitty chicken feed can reduce the quality of an egg so badly that it becomes difficult to crack it into a pan without breaking the yoke, it’ll even soften the shells and make a fresh egg taste two weeks old.

You are what you eat and by proxy what your food eats.

c00chieluvr t1_ixn7o6m wrote

ALSO: the color of the hen's egg can be determined by the color of its ear! White-eared hens lay white, brown-eyed lay brown, & there are even blue eggs! And yup, their ears are blue!

Source: egg carton comes with fun facts

[deleted] t1_ixmtin1 wrote

[removed]

dukemaskot t1_ixmwyb1 wrote

What are the best?

twcochran t1_ixn4y39 wrote

I’ve noticed a big difference between regular eggs, and “pasture raised”. Thick shells, dark orange yolks, and very rich and creamy tasting.

whyfrostedflakes t1_ixlqm3p wrote

I used to eat these super pale yellow yolk eggs and not surprising they were forever on sale and tasted like nothing.

AusGeo t1_ixlt1s9 wrote

Eat acorns, lay green yolked eggs. Taste ok, just weird looking.

AdorableParasite t1_ixmfeg4 wrote

My mom has a bunch of free roaming chicken. They're in the pasture and forest all day, and their eggs are incredible. Vibrant orange yolk, and the taste is so much better than any store bought egg.

GoldenArias t1_ixlm6oh wrote

Lol I also.leaned that today, too. I bet we were looking at the same thread.

Sharing_Violation t1_ixmhb8n wrote

And the shell is determined by skin color (which you can see near the ears).

kipjanny t1_ixn3rsl wrote

Now THIS I didn’t know! Very cool.

TrueTurtleKing t1_ixlo0uv wrote

Can’t chickens eat hot peppers to make their yolk darker? They can’t taste spicy

Linens t1_ixlrsg6 wrote

They can't taste spicy, but it seems like my chickens don't really enjoy eating peppers too much from my experience feeding them scrap veggies.

whyfrostedflakes t1_ixlqj15 wrote

Wow. I always wondered what exactly it meant.

SquidboyUltimate t1_ixm0m8v wrote

Can we feed them blue or green stuff to have blue or green yolks? Asking for a friend.

huh_phd t1_ixm48dn wrote

So what diet will make my chickens have the tastiest eggs ever?

Ill-Classic6576 t1_ixoqkau wrote

Bright orange marigolds will get you the bright, dark yellow, orange yolk. Xanthophyll, I believe. Marigold petals are used in chicken feed (from AN 102, Colorado State Univ, about 40 years ago).

charenton_ t1_ixmcl1q wrote

Speaking from personal experience raising chickens in the last couple of years, bugs, slug eggs, and lots of weeds.

TheBigLev t1_ixmhrtj wrote

I buy free range eggs and notice the change in seasons. During warm months when the chickens are outside doing their thing the yolks are golden orange, and when winter rolls in and the foraging ends, the yolks end up a pale yellow like the usual factory farmed eggs.

Diligent-Aether623 t1_ixmrlfr wrote

And commercial egg producers can tweak it with feed supplements to make the yolks whatever colour the market demands

pdpi t1_ixnguua wrote

Seeing as the link is from the UK, there's a hen farm here called Clarence Court that puts paprika and marigold in their chicken feed, which helps make their eggs a really deep orange. They're pretty striking.

WattebauschXC t1_ixod0oh wrote

Give them a lot of carrots and they almost turn red. Freaked me a bit out when I first saw the result of my grandpa feeding them nothing but carrots

bananafor t1_ixos2sn wrote

Also the amount of sunlight, the yolks get paler as winter approaches.

Large chicken operations feed the chickens marigold or such, which overwhelms any other colour change.

ElonBodyOdor t1_ixpb974 wrote

Had eggs in the Mexican fishing town of Loreto. They feed their chickens a lot of shrimp scraps. The yolks are undeniably pink. Quite good too.

Robbotlove t1_ixlq69x wrote

just feed chickens bananas

Spiritmolecule30 t1_ixm427e wrote

I learned this when I started making homeade mayo. I had to do a lot of egg brand shopping because there are so many shitty eggs.

hsvstar2003 t1_ixmgm61 wrote

You learned that on reddit today

DutchRoyce t1_ixnhd18 wrote

The colour can be manipulated by manifacturers. Deep orange indicates a more healthy, nutritious egg. Therefore farmers feed the chicken foods that will make the yolk that color.

icewalker2k t1_ixok0hw wrote

IKR!! I came across eggs that were a deep orange (I love Eggs Benedict) while visiting in Vancouver and I was like, what kind of egg is this? I had only ever seen the yellow yolks. Found out they were completely free range eggs.

[deleted] t1_ixllone wrote

[deleted]

−3

Classic_Midnight_213 t1_ixlmib1 wrote

Not happiness it’s the mineral makeup of the diet

[deleted] t1_ixlms4e wrote

[deleted]

−2

GetsGold t1_ixlnjlw wrote

From the link, yolk colour is

>almost entirely due to the pigments in the chicken’s food. A diet rich in pigments will produce eggs with darker yolks

and they

>all contain the same nutritional value

bit1101 t1_ixlo1qv wrote

I'm almost certain that darker yolks have more taste.

DrugsArentAlwaysBad t1_ixlqbao wrote

Nah you just got placebo effected by a chicken fetus like a loser

Big Farma really sold you on that, huh?

−19

Solventless4life t1_ixmlwkt wrote

Free range is just a marketing term ,they could be smashed together in a structure and a have a little window to look at and that would be considered free range. If you're buying from a store and you want the best quality pasture raised is what you want to look for

Consistent_Might3500 t1_ixmno34 wrote

This. Free range doesn't mean they aren't pecking each others eyes out, or plucking out their own feathers due to stress/filthy living conditions...cage free is not the same as cruelty free.

Mag-NL t1_ixmongx wrote

No. The more caroteen a chicken eats, the more orange the yolk. Considering that free range is the worst quality eggs in terms of animal life, you can legally sell where I live, and you think that a free range chicken is a happy chicken, I'm pretty sure you are not very well informed about chickens and eggs.