Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

bolanrox t1_iya82ql wrote

Julian was doing the college tour circuit and someone asked him if he still was close with Paul. His eyes lit up and he good "Uncle Paul? I talk to him every day"

Knight_TheRider OP t1_iya8a3z wrote

I had a poster of Lennon which I was looking for now I won't

Edit - But I am wrong, because part of song is about telling Lennon to go ahead with Yoko so who am I to judge?

bolanrox t1_iya8n97 wrote

in the end though if you want a some what happy ending. Julian and Sean are super close, enough so that Cynthia and Yoko were at least on speaking terms for the sake of their kids.

TUGrad t1_iyabbzr wrote

Yoko also refused to give Julian anything of his dad's after John's death. Julian was forced to buy various items at auction of memorabilia that Yoko held. Julian was also written out of his dad's will after he and Yoko got together. Everything was left to her and Sean.

MeanGreanHare t1_iyaroxl wrote

Yoko is a better singer than human being.

Mknowl t1_iyb73bb wrote

Chuck Berry agrees

dancingmeadow t1_iybinia wrote

Chuck Berry, the guy who recorded women pooping in his restaurant bathrooms and had a whole hidden room off his bedroom with the tapes and projection gear? That arbiter of good taste?

rttr123 t1_iyc7w81 wrote

While he may not have been a good person, that doesn't mean he wasn't a good musician.

HPmoni t1_iyecnem wrote

Still yoko wasn't legally required to give Julian anything. So she didn't

−1

Knight_TheRider OP t1_iya8yty wrote

Yeah I just read that, thanks for reminding me about it again, it is a good happy ending

dancingmeadow t1_iybijf5 wrote

Yup. John said he thought the whole song was about him, but I think it's more complicated than that. He probably did too, really.

SheBumblebee t1_iye1rux wrote

sounds like Paul McCartney was a better dad to him than John Lennon ever was

tannieth t1_iya8ue6 wrote

I think Julian and Paul are still close. I think Paul was very supportive and they both mourned deeply after the death of John.

Yes. I'm not sure. But i read somewhere that Julian is close friends with Paul's kids. He's a bit older but i imagine they all knew each other well as kids. Paul is a great dad and he and Linda had a very normal family life.

RedSonGamble t1_iyaszrt wrote

Paul was also nicer to Julian that his dad and step mother. John was actually kind of a dick to his son. And his son spoke out about this also.

dancingmeadow t1_iybis7y wrote

So did John, in what turned out to be his final interviews. His relationship with Julian was just beginning to mend when he was murdered.

WormswithteethKandS t1_iybw3i2 wrote

It seems that most of the Beatle children are close with each other. Sean Lennon, James McCartney, and Dhani Harrison are all good friends, and Dhani described Mary and Stella McCartney as being like big sisters to him. The McCartney and Starkey children also seem to be close, as well. No doubt the fact that they're the few people who've grown up with a Beatle as a father gives them something they can easily bond over.

RedSonGamble t1_iyatb9m wrote

John Lennon wasnt that nice to Julian. Also he didn’t leave anything to that son either. Yoko was terrible toward Julian giving him a check for one dollar stating it was all he deserved to get of his fathers money. She also sold a bunch of stuff that was suppose to go to him and I believe Paul bought it back for Julian

People think of John Lennon as some saint but that was more a show he put on. And put it on he did. Not saying he was horrible but rather just not a saint.

KypDurron t1_iybgjz3 wrote

> She also sold a bunch of stuff that was suppose to go to him and I believe Paul bought it back for Julian

Not just "stuff that was supposed to go to him" - it was a collection of letters that Julian had written to John.

A_Dog_Chasing_Cars t1_iycsn5x wrote

> it was a collection of letters that Julian had written to John.

And she felt entitled to sell those? What a despicable person.

dancingmeadow t1_iybiyr9 wrote

I'm a huge John Lennon fan. I definitely don't think he was a saint. Neither did he. He was honest, the first guy in the game to say "fuck it, I'm just going to be honest". One of the reasons we know how horrible he could be is because he told us, in detail, to illustrate that even a bastard like him could grow.

MightyPenguin t1_iybvuhy wrote

Why such a fan then to be honest? I admire the artistic work he did with the Beatles and love a lot of their music, but by all honest accounts he just seemed to be a grade A jackass and abusive asshole, being "honest" about it does not make him admirable. The admirable ones are the ones that accomplish great things without having that kind of negativity and baggage.

niamhweking t1_iycw5du wrote

Exactly, just cos someone says they know they are horrible doesn't make it OK.

HPmoni t1_iyecxvq wrote

Join Lennon was the liberal Jesus for awhile, but Reddit long hates him. Good

RedbeardRum t1_iyat099 wrote

When I was a child I thought the name/chorus of this song was ‘hey dude’.

dancingmeadow t1_iybj1yz wrote

Hey dude, I saw you nude. Don't try to fake it, I saw you naked. Don't try to coverup, I saw your buttercup....

Knight_TheRider OP t1_iya7tld wrote

Explains why this ballad is so comforting, it's just amazing

dancingmeadow t1_iybifgd wrote

That expensive recorder paid for itself in one go.

Bunch_of_Shit t1_iybgz7c wrote

I am very interested in this car with the recorder on the dashboard.

fingerofchicken t1_iycjtuo wrote

Must've been awkward when Paul shared that song with John eventually. "Hey I got this new song, it's called Hey... uh... Jude."

LipTrev t1_iybs00b wrote

It's much too late for goodbye.

warpus t1_iycfy2j wrote

Sorry so how/why did Jules change to Jude? I actually have pinkeye and can barely read right now or else I’d read the article. Yeah I know I shouldn’t even be here, squinting furiously

LanguageNerd54 t1_iyd4at5 wrote

And yet a frenemy of mine insisted that Jude was a girl in the song. I really think he knew that Jude was in fact a boy and was just screwing with me. There's a reason I call him a frenemy.

stygyan t1_iybqiah wrote

Dammit, Winchesters.

N0D0ZZZ t1_iyah737 wrote

If you replace "hey jude" with "gay dudes" it unironically becomes an unironically inspirational queer anthem.

−15

Otakuma575 t1_iya8dmd wrote

You know what sells a song better than it being good, a sappy made up backstory.

−35

Knight_TheRider OP t1_iya8lqm wrote

Lol its not, well you don't know beatles, so I guess it's okay, you will know soon

Otakuma575 t1_iya9aaw wrote

I had my Beatles phase about 20 years ago... But ok.

−28

Knight_TheRider OP t1_iya9ot0 wrote

Then how come you think its a made up story?

dancingmeadow t1_iybjgcy wrote

Some people don't understand creativity. It confuses them at best, and usually scares them. They can understand "fastest guitar player" because it's a sport, but they will never understand "nuanced note". Butterflies aren't for them.

Yes, it does seem lonely and sad.