Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Surprise_Corgi t1_j2drb6f wrote

Reddit seems like it'll never stop being surprised that a college degree is much less about getting specific jobs, but opening doors.

saintshing t1_j2coo4k wrote

Is this talking about their CURRENT jobs? Are finance and accounting considered STEM? They still use math.

I can't access the census website but according to this article which quotes the same stat, science teachers, health care workers, and management are not STEM occupations.

mrs-harvey t1_j2es1nv wrote

That article also mentions how some could be considered not STEM by moving into management.

Toad32 t1_j2dqyjh wrote

These stats are based on suspicous categorization.

cv-boardgamer t1_j2e7iu9 wrote

The bartender at my local watering hole has a masters in some type of biology (forget which one) from a UC school. She said she was in the PhD program a while and bartending on weekends to make a little more scratch. She realized she enjoyed bartending more than academia, and earned more money, so she dropped out of the program and has been bartending full-time for over 5 years now. Whatever floats your boat I guess...

bobith5 t1_j2f9b9n wrote

The old Nick Miller character arc. How far along is she with her zombie novel?

Vladius28 t1_j2cpu4m wrote

We hire business engineers

TheCarbonCross t1_j2e9bbm wrote

They are making claims assuming all B.S. degrees fall in the STEM field though? Technically sure, it’s science, but you wouldn’t say that a Ranch Manager is in the STEM field, yet college AG degrees typically fall under a B.S.

[deleted] t1_j2clsph wrote

[deleted]

−3

Uranus_Hz t1_j2cnnu0 wrote

They want college graduates, regardless of major, for two main reasons:

1. they’ve proven that they can tolerate tedious bullshit and meet deadlines

And

1. they typically have crippling debt and are less likely to quit over bullshit because they NEED the paycheck.

SnooPoems443 t1_j2cr99i wrote

>plus AI can do most of the advanced mathematics and designing now

no, they can't.

they can parrot in a way that appears valid to the inexperienced or uninitiated.

zero chance anyone's software is building my robot.

zero.

[deleted] t1_j2csllr wrote

[deleted]

SnooPoems443 t1_j2cvjy0 wrote

>Building the robot is the easy part

do tell. this should be good news at work, monday.

zero chance any software's going to show up, i'm afraid.

i'll see what management thinks about the legos. i do have some abs in the shop... 🤔

twobit78 t1_j2cmkh6 wrote

Came to say similar.

The other thing im finding is employers wanting degrees to do what are typically blue collar jobs and paying peanuts for it. I was looking at cnc machinist jobs, stuff that i learned on the fly but there are trade school for wanted people with engineer degrees to push buttons. And they pay was less than i was getting with no qualifications.

DefiantStomp t1_j2cp4gz wrote

I did not go to college but I make just as much as all of my coworkers who went to college.

−3

Poopoo_check t1_j2d8kya wrote

How much harder do you work though?

−8

HanzG t1_j2dlh0e wrote

Doesn't matter. He's making good money without school debt. If he doesn't work hard someone else has to because that work still need to get done.

Poopoo_check t1_j2fswal wrote

Gimme the option to put down $50,000 in education to get a high paying office job opposed to no debt while working hard labor, the choice is a no brainer lol

Making as much as someone else while working 2 times as hard is not the flex people think it is lol

TheCloudFestival t1_j2e7u2l wrote

Seems like the STEM degrees were the Mickey Mouses all along, huh?

−3

poopnuckels t1_j2f5s5g wrote

College degree is not worth much anymore, almost everyone has one. Unless it’s from a top school it’s just a baby step on the way to get a ok job. It doesn’t show you can work, are from a good family, or any other things that make someone appealing to employers.

−3

BanVegans t1_j2faekg wrote

...and 49% in gender studies 😆😆😆

−4

ToroidalEarthTheory t1_j2dbxoh wrote

Anglish 2. R u a English teacher? Noo. U dun need lern Enlish!

−5

Renomont t1_j2dh31x wrote

I know my company has been searching for a Lesbian Dance Therorist with a Masters degree and 2 years of experience for 4 years now. Seems like it's a matter of having a better recruiter to root out the best candidates.

−5

DYTTIGAF t1_j2cmklc wrote

They brainwashed thousands of college students back in the 1980's while I was in college. Selling them that the best way to wealth and success was to be an "engineer".

The cultural gatekeepers never specified what type of engineer you needed to be, or what industry to seek out, or the market demand, or how to deploy you degree to actually make...money.

STEM is fashionable for no other reason than it could be weaponized as a career track to "generate funding" for educational entity's that created a STEM track. Get a STEM degree, focus on STEM for woman and girls, etc.

These pitches for education equality did not focus on whether students actually had a love, or desire to go into technology in the first place...but was an excellent way to generate a magical bean construct (that if planted into every school system in the country it would bare economic fruits).

You just have to give us lots of money so this transformative process could happen...for everyone, but please don't ask how to measure this transformation...or if this actually works.

It was all a hustle.

−6

twobit78 t1_j2cnbdm wrote

Actually this sort of happened with me doing enviromental managment. Establishment kept telling us they had employers bashing down the doors trying to get them to fast track us because they needed to fill jobs.

The first batch finished and found out there were no jobs and it was just to get us to open our wallets more.

DYTTIGAF t1_j2cobni wrote

I spent $50,000 setting up a solar company back in 2017.

Do you know how many cities across the country have voted not to allow solar on residential rooftops..for variety of reason? Thousands.

You have truckloads of zoning restrictions prohibiting solar installations. Green energy can be added to the list of taxpayer supported frauds.

If I told you what actually goes on in the industry... you would not believe it. Anytime some bureaucracy is pitching any construct of wholesale advancement on any social, or political construct it's most likely... fraudulent.

twobit78 t1_j2cp2j1 wrote

Don't think they made any zoning laws around here, some houses can't get them because of historical signifigance etc.

Around here its the power companies that fucked the solar industry. Feed in is between 6-10c per KWH, familys was locked in under a contract at about 35c. The inverter packed it in under warranty so it got replaced but the contract was linked to the inverter and couldn't be transfered over.

If we get on grid batteries we need to sign a waiver that let's the power companies suck the power out when they need it so there's no real gain.

Uranus_Hz t1_j2cnys7 wrote

Can confirm. Graduated HS in 85. Got a BS, got an MS in engineering.

Worked as an “engineer” for a decade. 10 years in an 8x8 cell cubicle was enough.

Now I’m a chef. Much happier.

DYTTIGAF t1_j2comrd wrote

Awesome. Well done. You saved your soul.

arbivark t1_j2fvsb8 wrote

the chef who hired me has degrees in biochemistry. most of my degrees are in law. i wash dishes for $15/hr.

idevcg t1_j2dazvf wrote

that's so interesting. Was it a hard choice to make at the time? Did you have your own family? Was your wife supportive?

ViskerRatio t1_j2dwskr wrote

It's not about becoming an engineer. It's about not wasting four years of your life on studies that don't get you anywhere.

Engineering degrees are fantastic for getting your foot in the door on a decent career track. You don't need family connections or to be the smooth-talker of the century to land a decent job. Degrees in fields like Humanities? More often than not, you end up in a 'lost decade' of underemployment because you don't bring anything an employer actually needs.

But just because you got a degree in Engineering (or any other STEM subject) doesn't mean you need to stay there. One of the virtues of being in a career track job that requires a college-level education is that you spend your time around other such people and build the connections necessary for a career.

I have the benefit of being able to look back at my college friends in terms of decades of career development. The non-STEM folks? They eventually got there. They're doing pretty well now. But they spent a lot of years struggling where the STEM folks didn't.

In an age of widespread student loans, this is especially important. That first decade out of college when that interest is piling up and you're trying to pay it off with some low end job? That's a huge amount of money you're leaving on the table.