Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

HawkeyeByMarriage t1_j11y2n0 wrote

ElfMage83 t1_j122b21 wrote

Not so much. I simply don't understand, as an American, why Brits keep and add needless extra letters to words. Q is a single letter, for example, yet the word “queue” exists and is pronounced without the vowels.

Makes no sense.

−95

XPlutonium t1_j126kr1 wrote

Yes and we english don’t get why you keep adding redundant words to other words

Side walk - where is else? Front walk? Eye glasses - helped me differentiate my liver glasses Waste paper basket - wow. Gas - ITS A FUCKING LIQUID

Then we get to your phrases. Exact same, unexpected surprise, advance warning???, end result. Oh and your love for split infinitives.

I personally think it should make more sense to not get into the uses of the Prodigal Tongue. Languages have differences deal with it.

plumquat t1_j12z8m9 wrote

Oh yeah Hhhherb, half your shit is just teasing the French.

ElfMage83 t1_j13cg0u wrote

>Gas - ITS A FUCKING LIQUID

“Gasoline” from “Cazeline", a British word. Much like “soccer”.

>Then we get to your phrases. Exact same, unexpected surprise, advance warning???, end result.

Blame the Department of Redundancy Department, unless you don't understand the reference.

>Oh and your love for split infinitives.

I make a point not to do that. It must have galled Sir Patrick Stewart to say “to boldly go”, but I don't know if you'd know that reference.

>Languages have differences deal with it.

And yet you typed out that whole above comment trying to convince me I'm wrong when I'm not.

−12

5wan t1_j12cghn wrote

Lol at the American criticizing the English for how English words are spelled.

Funkybeatzzz t1_j12jq9y wrote

Let me go get some honey from my Bs and go P in the toilet. I don’t know Y people R getting so upset with U.

DaveOJ12 t1_j126boh wrote

I don't understand, as an American, why we dropped them.

Brunooflegend t1_j139830 wrote

>I simply don’t understand, as an American

You could have stopped right there instead of further humiliating yourself

raz0rflea t1_j13a1p7 wrote

You don't understand why they write the words the way they invented them?

dixadik t1_j15cud4 wrote

'rede' 'reed' 'read' 'red' are still words in 'american' english. What have you got to say about that?

ElfMage83 t1_j15ghw1 wrote

Those all are different, and all spelled correctly.

dixadik t1_j193nvw wrote

Glad you recognize that. Bottom line English is a very quirky language in spelling and pronunciation and if you try to make it make sense sometimes you'll end up being disappointed