Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

gwaydms t1_j65h1zq wrote

The Sentinelese cold-forge iron to make arrowheads. And they are familiar with outsiders. All they would need to do is hold out their hands, stop killing those who try to contact them, and their lives would be easier. Or would they?

My guess is that they have seen what has happened to tribes that accepted the "blessings of civilization": disease, enslavement, loss of their traditional way of life. And they want none of it. They'll accept gifts, but only on their own terms. They're fighting for their independence. And the Indian government patrols stay at arm's length, keeping away those who would exploit the Sentinelese.

Tea_4_thee t1_j65smgd wrote

They have personal experience with what the ‘blessings of civilization’ means, the first time an outsiders made contact with the tribe 6 of them (two elderly people and 4 children) were kidnapped. All 6 of them fell ill and died.

I don’t think contact with outsiders is possible for them, their immune systems can’t handle modern diseases and sickness. There’s a good chance somebody spreading a cold to them could wipe out the entire tribe.

CaptainJZH OP t1_j6600uh wrote

Also, some North Sentinel Islanders were once kidnapped, back in the colonial period, only for them to die because of disease. They probably have oral histories dating far far back so I would imagine "that time outsiders literally took some of us away never to be seen again" is a major part of their worldview.

And well, if anyone knows what it's like to have your culture and land tarnished by an outside force, it's India lol

AlcoholicWombat t1_j66gcq3 wrote

That's actually probably what happened. Back in the 19th century some British guy basically kidnapped 4 of them and took them to Port Blair, they all got sick, 2 died, and he returned the other two. Who knows what effect those diseases had on the population