Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

TheTowerBard t1_jb1nmzq wrote

At some point we’re going to have to have a national conversation about the use of periods in graphic design, among other things.

Zabreneva t1_jb1xdrs wrote

I read that as “ lets guarantee a bright future for poultry” and was excited to support more free range chickens

Trajikbpm OP t1_jb1e88w wrote

Here's a younger candidate stepping up and trying to make a difference and the local select board not only wants to give tax cuts to some millionaire piece of shit but is using him to undermine their campaign.

Dadfart802 t1_jb24b5z wrote

I hate the Rutland County Republicans that have presided over this dumpster fire the last 30 years are like, “fucking liberals in Montpelier.”

Trajikbpm OP t1_jb2544l wrote

They're letting Vermont rot into the ground and blaming everything and everyone else for it.

Dadfart802 t1_jb2ao2n wrote

It’s unfortunately what the people clearly want. I didn’t ask for Terry Williams making decisions for me when he’s not busy cosplaying Insurrectionist in the woods with his grandkids.

breakfastmeat23 t1_jb5ipwv wrote

Rutland is the one place in Vt. that most feels like it could be in any other state. Our towns tend to feel distinctly "Vermonty", then you get to Rutland, and it feels like it could be right off the New Jersey Turnpike.

Dadfart802 t1_jb1r5df wrote

Imagine touting knowing Donald Trump as a business accomplishment? I’d take my chances with the Christian cult

Trajikbpm OP t1_jb1tecr wrote

And what he is doing now is exactly what he told us the religious nuts would do if he gives up the college to them. Interfering with elections.

TheMobyDicks t1_jb54c8z wrote

Now I'm not familiar with this project but I am familiar with tax stabilization and, if used properly, it can be an economic driver. I do know Poultney well as I grew up just outside of it and my dad had/has (moved the office to his house) a business there for 45 years. They were also one of our sports rivals and two of my high school girlfriends went there. When I grew up (80s) Poultney was a nice college/working class town. The slate mills were making money as were the farmers. That time has past, much like granite in Barre and marble in Proctor. What needs to happen is some sort of injection of money, quality, marketing, etc. - basically a coordinated effort by the community with an eye on what change can happen, what is good for the town, what is realistic and then a plan to implement. It's a shame that the Town of Poultney didn't buy the college as they could then control what happened to different buildings/sections of the campus but I'm guessing there was no stomach for the kind of debt they would be taking on. All that said, good luck whatever way the town goes as it would be nice to see such a pretty town grow.

Last point. When the Select Board or Selectboard (different towns spell it differently) goes into Executive Session, they need to be specific and transparent - there are rules. Whether this youngster is accurate in his assessment that nefarious dealing are afoot, it's my opinion that raging against the machine, as it were, will garner less votes than calm, political discourse. Poultney's an old town - WAY older than I was around - and old people vote. Best for him to put on a tie and go door to door touting his positions.

Careful_Square1742 t1_jb2sih9 wrote

while these tactics are suspect, if the college property is run by the religious organization Bhakta claims is going to buy it, kiss the tax revenue, access to the river, library and access to the property goodbye.

they aren't asking to not pay taxes - they are asking the town to work with them on a tax strategy that will help entice outside money into the college redevelopment. this could bring large amounts of tax revenue and jobs to the area, and it needs it bad.

signed, GMC alum and former poultney resident

Trajikbpm OP t1_jb2tn9u wrote

Let's trust the millionaire trumper buying up town properties har har har like that's not what is making Vermont a shit hole all over the state.

Careful_Square1742 t1_jb2typz wrote

have a great night.

Trajikbpm OP t1_jb2xdl1 wrote

Sorry for being so aggressive. It's not just the school issues it's the selectboard. Lots of little things lately and this is just another blow. Even if there's a slight chance of him doing something good for the town the conversation should always be about what's happening behind closed doors.

Careful_Square1742 t1_jb2zhbp wrote

I get it, and I appreciate you apologizing.

the board should be open and transparent with this stuff, but may be trying to avoid the hot tempers some folks in town have around this subject. though, I can't for the life of me figure out why people are so amped up other than they don't understand what bhakta is asking for. he's not asking for 0% tax rate, he's asking to lock his tax rate where it is now while he gets his plan rolling. the town loses no revenue in that situation. if a religious organization buys the campus, the town would lose all tax revenue.

if he's successful, the town stands to bring in huge tax revenue (that it badly needs).

I think the guy's a little nuts, but he's not stupid.

that campus means a great deal to me, and I know it means a great deal to the town.

Trajikbpm OP t1_jb2t6mb wrote

We don't get access to the river btw they put an end to that.

You honestly sound like a shill. And why was the meeting private when we voted on if the meeting should happen or not? And whoever Poultney for Prosperity isn't official anywhere that's legal.

Careful_Square1742 t1_jb2tmuc wrote

read my post history, I'm not shill.

they supposedly put an end to river access after some idiots drove their truck IN the river. I'm sure commercial insurance companies love that shit.

I think the meeting should have been public. I agree with you on all your points regarding whoever PFP is and transparency. I'm just saying the town could really benefit from what Bhakta is trying to do, and stands to lose nothing by working with him

Trajikbpm OP t1_jb2tyzl wrote

I won't hold my breath and going after Alex like this is more than telling. He wants a playground for himself that's all.

lantonas t1_jb38a82 wrote

> We don't get access to the river btw they put an end to that.

Fun fact, you can do whatever you want in the river and they can't stop you

dordemartinovic t1_jb6igry wrote

Calm down, there is no reason to accuse them of being a shill

Trajikbpm OP t1_jb6ini7 wrote

You're late to that whole conversation and the resolution..bye.

MYrobouros t1_jb4h22r wrote

One problem is the huge delay in any Sec State action compared to the effects of violating campaign finance laws.

Lanky-Kale-9462 t1_jb2hmms wrote

The amount of corruption in Burlington, is something I never thought existed… Sadly, it is pervasive..

−11