Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ZhugeTsuki t1_jdvajlx wrote

Anyone actually know a Howard center employee in this comment section besides me?

People are leaving right now because they are being forced to work/fill in other positions because of the staffing shortage. There is as I've seen mentioned elsewhere quite a large list of requirements to get positions there, and that's part of the issue as well.

But the biggest issue is that the employees are extremely overworked, exhausted, and still having to deal with constant mental health crisis. They do all sorts of team building/relaxation exercises but they've got about half the people they need for the minimum amount of positions to be filled, and that's causing a ton of burnout. All the way from the bottom to the top of the administration, there's just no one to hire going by their own stringent criteria and the ones they did hire are leaving (or switching departments) for easier positions.

I don't think "paying them more" would fix this issue as simply as some want to believe.

No-Ebb6940 t1_jdvhvq1 wrote

I know an HC employee. The burnout is real, and they have a real middle management issue. There are a lot of bad managers driving out people with typical bad manager behavior. For example, Howard Center policy allows for hybrid/remote work if and when possible, and a lot of positions actually would make sense for it. But managers take advantage of it but refuse to let their teams to. Or forcing people to have their time off requests for all three months of summer…by February. When you combine the frustrations of bad managers with the burn out of the work, and working nights and weekends, no one wants to stay, even in the positions that are well paid.

DrakeStryker_2001 t1_jdvxeza wrote

Fellow HC worker here. It's partly everything you're saying and more. I used to work on the crisis team, and I will tell you without a shred of doubt that both middle management HC leadership - with few exceptions - don't give a single shit about their ground-level workers. They forced their clinicians back to face-to-face assessments in the ER before vaccinations for the virus, and there is not enough space in those ER rooms to socially distance, putting their clinicians at medical risk. They enacted policies that continually made working conditions harder, and would not advocate for the members of the team, who were constantly asked by community members to do things above and beyond the responsibilities of those clinicians. And when the workers tried expressing concerns about how things were going, concerns were largely ignored and not addressed. When workers tried calling out the toxic leadership, individuals were prevented from being licensed or their work was twisted to look like they weren't doing enough.

And that doesn't even touch upon the absolute lack of specialized workflow and procedure training across numerous departments. Everyone gets one basic round of trainings, and then hope that they have fellow clinicians who care about their contributions enough to take them under their wing and show them the ropes. But even then, the agency continues to change policy on - at least - a monthly basis, adding more and more work onto workers' shoulders.

Howard Center has a toxic leadership culture, which is illustrated by their bad-faith negotiating tactics with HC workers' union. And unfortunately, because it's working out pretty well for those in leadership positions, there's not enough will for things to change at the agency. Those who could have become career community healthcare workers get burnt out by the treatment they receive and the lack of will to change things. "Well, that's just the way things are" is a refrain I've heard WAY too often. And - sadly - one of the reasons that I'm in the process of leaving. I wanted to stay at least ten years, but the conditions here are just anti-worker.

limetimerhymer t1_jdvcj5p wrote

Well if the employees are being asked to fill other positions while doing their original job, wouldn’t paying them more be the least the employer can do to compensate for additional work? It may not be a 100% solution, but if they can offer the team building/ relaxation practices like you said then they could at least pay their workers more if they can’t hire anyone else.

ZhugeTsuki t1_jdvdjp2 wrote

They regularly give out bonuses rewarding good work, but the problem, again, isn't just wages. Tripling someone's salary because they are doing the work of three people doesn't make doing the work of three people any more feasible - you just get compensated more, which means the department has less to offer to whoever is filling the vacancy you're covering, and then there's no money left to boost their burnt out work force.

Team building exercises don't cost a ton of money, just fyi. Things like group meditation or yoga aren't exactly in the same financial ballpark as increasing 100 employees salaries by even just 25%, nevermind being compensated for the work they're actually doing.

Look at UVM if you'd like a real life example. All of their long term, good staff, have left because the traveling nurses are getting paid 1.5x as much as they are to incentivise them to work in Vermont to try to fill their vacant positions. So you can pay more, but that doesn't linearly increase productivity or efficiency. The way UVM handled it is hurting its staff.

DamonKatze t1_jdve46c wrote

That can be a two-edged sword. Yes, the people that stay and cover other positions definitely deserve more compensation, but the danger is that the management will make the added responsibilities the norm for the poor employees that are stepping up. Bad Management can also use that to justify saving payroll by not filling positions quickly or even getting rid of some positions outright.
If the organization doesn't identify and fix the undelying issues from the start, it can be difficult to change them down the line, which will only increase turnover.

FloobLord t1_jdwo68p wrote

> wouldn’t paying them more be the least the employer can do to compensate for additional work?

It might be that they simply can't pay more. They can't raise prices like a business - if they have X funding from their funding sources, they just have to hope someone decides to get generous if they need more.

Ecstatic-Actuary9871 t1_jdvsnpr wrote

Better salaries would certainly help with retention, attracting applicants, filling positions, and reducing said burnout. It’s a core issue.

DrakeStryker_2001 t1_jdwawmt wrote

Or even just allowing clinicians to be able to earn more money. Obe clinician I knew submitted a request to do private practice work outside of Howard Center, and they didn't respond to the request AT ALL for months.

druunavt t1_jdw1vlc wrote

I appreciate your perspective. As a parent and guardian of a young adult in the system (different DA though, not Howard) how can we best advocate for employees’ needs? What would solve the lack of staffing?

friedmpa t1_jdxbyy2 wrote

If company pay people more, more people will work, more people will stay, etc. IMO it’s the biggest issue