Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

somedudevt t1_ir3eulo wrote

I’m sorry but there is valid concern here by parents of kids who are not trans. Kids have no fucking clue what or who they are 99% of the time. In 7th grade I thought I was gonna be a pro football player, in 8th grade I was a jnco wearer, by 9th grade I was Eminem. Girls deserve to use a bathroom without a boy walking in saying they identify as XYZ today. This may be harsh to the actual trans people, but from what i hear from friends who work in schools and work with troubled youths, a lot of these kids are switching pronouns regularly and often in a manner that clearly shows they are just fucking with school staff. If they can’t allow girls and boys in separate rooms and kids who are undecided to use a different facility then the schools need to do away with gendered facilities all together and make single occupancy facilities.

Also bullying is bad, but fuck sake we have to recognize that it’s not below a 14 year old boy to say he is a girl to see some boobs.

−7

TheBeardliestBeard t1_ir3vcdu wrote

It seems the parents are more concerned about voyeurs. In women's locker rooms, I'm 100% sure there is more voyeurism from girls who turn out to be lesbians (5.6% of US adults identify as LGBT whereas only 0.3% trans). Is that an issue to parents? It should be then, that's one girl in a room of 20, conservatively, and I know more guys were changing in the locker room with me when I was in HS. One I know turned out to be gay. That doesn't personally bother me, but should we have this communal experience? I'm not a parent. I shouldn't have a deciding say and I know I don't. I think you have a point and providing personal stalls may be a good solution, but the issue I see here is more one of community harassment, hate speech against a minor, and a rotten bigotry permeating the greater Randolph area.

We can find this bigotry anywhere, and it is more prominent in rural areas, but WCAX handled this appallingly and provided far to much credence to that outlook. What we need there, IMHO, is news coverage that is unbiased and covered the facts of what happened. Let the individuals draw up their conclusions. VT doesn't have a purposefully unalligned news channel to gleam the facts of news stories from. We have, instead, extremely biased providers from both ends of the spectrum that want to paint a fancy of any given situation, and will color their words to make the reader agreeable with their biases.

somedudevt t1_ir7vd1l wrote

Talk to someone who works with middle schoolers in a Behavior intervention/counselor role or similar. The issue isn’t the trans kids they deserve to be treated fair. The issue is that there are more kids changing pronouns for the sake of attention, rebelling, etc than there are legit trans kids. They have kids who are switching pronouns on a weekly basis at school, and then reporting teachers for not using the right pronoun. Kids are confused and incredibly manipulative these days. And in that lense it’s better safe than sorry. One of these days someone’s gonna be raped in one of these bathrooms. When that happens people will realize that we need to take a step back on all this stuff.

KatJen76 t1_irbea3y wrote

No one should have to deal with someone making comments or leering at them in the locker room, regardless of that person's gender identity, sexuality or whatever. It's hard to know the full truth of what happened in this case. Both sides naturally deny doing anything wrong and blame each other. The staff witnessed several girls yelling at the trans girl but even they don't know if something had preceded it.

KatJen76 t1_ir7tk06 wrote

You got downvoted but I agree with you here. It's not fair to say everyone has to swallow their discomfort to make someone else comfortable. These are teens, it's quite possible there's no villain here, just kids who maybe aren't dealing with their feelings well, whichever side of the story is closer to the truth.