Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

yoeddyVT t1_ivl0eaq wrote

They need to also find and prosecute the salvage yard that is paying these guys cash for obviously stolen cats.

Thick_Piece t1_ivl27qx wrote

These things are worth so much that they could have changed hands multiple times…

Salty_Charlemagne t1_ivlliqc wrote

Why are they so valuable? Do they have some other use besides for cars? Or is it just an expensive easily stealable car part that can be grafted onto other stolen (?) cars?

Ok-Dirt7287 t1_ivlodqa wrote

They have rare earth metals and platinum. Here in Colorado we are #1 or 2 for stolen cats. So much so they say just let them take it because people are getting killed. We just passed a law that any scrapper who receives a cat has to report the id number within 24 hours or they are breaking the law. It's a shame it's happening in VT . I'm relocating from Colorado

YPG-Got-Raqqa t1_ivopoxi wrote

I run one of the largest salvage yard in the state and process cats. They contain platinum, palladium and rhodium. When the fuel in your engine burns it has to combine with oxygen. Oxygen naturally comes as O2 with two of them bonded together. Inside the cat there are tiny spikes of these metals that cause the O2 to break in two.

When the oxygen is floating around as single atoms it causes the combustion temperature to drop substantially causing more complete burning of the exhaust products and a cleaner exhaust.

ANTI-PUGSLY t1_ivm4g4d wrote

We actually replaced ours for maintenance reasons recently and recycled the old cat legitimately. Bolduc outside Montpelier did things by the book and requested a lot of identification to process the transaction.

YPG-Got-Raqqa t1_ivore7p wrote

Plenty of buyers without yards that are just breaking the cats open and selling the foils/mesh to the refiners.

Unique-Public-8594 t1_ivlkvwr wrote

Summary:

Accused: Rusty Perry and Gary Bolton of Franklin Estates in Newark - and an un-named teenage boy. More suspects may be involved.

Also found: guns and illegal drugs.

Catalytic converters stolen from 15 towns: Orleans, St. Johnsbury, Lyndonville, Ryegate, Wells River, Barton, Norwich, Berlin, Barre, Shelburne, and S Burlington - plus, in NH: Lancaster, Lebanon, Keene, and Swanzey.

Car accident in Newark seems to have been the catalyst for the arrest.

oneisgoodtwoisbetter t1_ivklrq2 wrote

Jeez all done by two guys and a teenager!

DaddyBobMN t1_ivlip1d wrote

Nah, there's more individuals and groups out there doing this. These guys didn't cover a whole bunch of the state.

The total number of converter thefts in VT is probably in the thousands.

I am glad that something is happening though, every little bit helps.

YPG-Got-Raqqa t1_ivor4fk wrote

Once, years ago now, I had around 200 stolen in one night from my salvage yard. Very clearly some sort of semi organized crew.

Ok-Dirt7287 t1_ivlokib wrote

It takes about 20 seconds to steal one. It's 20 seconds for $300-600 for these criminals

Nutmegdog1959 t1_ivl7h94 wrote

If it's not too much trouble my '07 Subie needs its cat back.

random_vermonter t1_ivlecp5 wrote

How pathetic do you have to be to steal catalytic converters?

NonDeterministiK t1_ivmqcsf wrote

my car had cat stolen because it is unattended most of the time. Mechanic said it'd be restolen and just put a straight thru pipe & car now won't pass inspection. I'm told certain aftermarket converters are unattractive to thieves & they won't bother stealing them. Is this correct?

YPG-Got-Raqqa t1_ivor0yb wrote

First, that is completely insane advice by the mechanic.

Second, that is correct. Aftermarket cats have far less platinum group metals inside of them.

NonDeterministiK t1_ivozg3u wrote

I should qualify: mechanic suggested a temporary straight thru pipe rather than a $750 toyota conveter, while I look for a cheaper alternative, rather than having the 2nd cat stolen again. I'm actually grateful to this mechanic

YPG-Got-Raqqa t1_ivp0qi2 wrote

Ohh it sounded like he was suggesting that as a permanent fix!

Yeah get an aftermarket cat. Not a racing cat, just an aftermarket replacement.

MarkVII88 t1_ivooyb2 wrote

Don't ever go back to that mechanic again.

No-Tomorrow1576 t1_ivnd5l4 wrote

I wonder if they are the ones who stole mine off my truck and caused it to start a fire when started at the dealership

KillerDeman t1_ivmycii wrote

My work trucks cat got taken the Monday before Thanksgiving. I couldn’t work for two days but made it up driving on Thanksgiving and Friday.