Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Nutmegdog1959 t1_iwigy5o wrote

Didn't think it through.

That's not a "small state" problem, that's a 'small mind' problem and will follow you whatever state you go to.

Bonus points for waiting until the day of a 'Winter Weather Advisory' to find someone fix your fuckup!

mistahboogs t1_iwi6qcb wrote

Most places that stud tires also sell them, a lot of which wouldn't even put them on your vehicle if you didn't buy them from that location. Wouldn't shock me if they won't stud tires they didn't sell either

Nutmegdog1959 t1_iwih96z wrote

Nokian national distribution warehouse located in Colchester. I bet they have studded tires?

mistahboogs t1_iwja9m1 wrote

Right but they might not stud this person's tires they already bought

Nutmegdog1959 t1_iwjei3u wrote

No, they won't.

I've studded tires for www.icerace.com in NY.

There's about 100 studs per tire. It's laborious, time consuming and boring. If you're good and fast and have the right tools you could probably knock out a set of four in 90-120 minutes. Takes time.

In that same time frame a good tire tech could bang out four winter tire swaps at $80 a car, that's $320. Why would they want to dick around with some mutt who bought tires elsewhere and now wants them studded and mounted.

Ain't gonna happen anywhere!

SomeConstructionGuy t1_iwkye68 wrote

This guy gets it. Studding isn’t profitable, selling tires is. Distributors stud tires so they can sell more tires. If you don’t buy the tires from them why the heck would they stud them?

mistahboogs t1_iwlbvmy wrote

I worked for VT wholesale, delivering tires but occasionally had to stud them when we were backed up. I'm not sure how big of tires you were studding but for a set of 4 "average tires" there's no way it should take 1.5 to 2 hours. Half an hour at most.

SnooMaps1313 t1_iwii4kh wrote

I got four studded nokians brand new, mounted and balanced at Vermont tire for $600 in 2020. Honestly spending a little extra to avoid a situation of calling around and disrespect from the shops for not buying from them seems worth it to me. Even at $800 or $1000 the multiyear value of good winter traction is priceless.

This isn't the first "I didn't buy from professional and now I can't find someone to install X" post even this season. I think we just saw a similar heat pump post.

Thick_Piece t1_iwilpkn wrote

Those would be $1000+ in 2022.

SnooMaps1313 t1_iwiscns wrote

I'd call for a quote before I think you're right on this... that seems high even with the economy like it is.

8valvegrowl t1_iwin1rd wrote

Pretty sure anytime I’ve bought tires online, they will ship them to you studded. Mounting and balance is fine for online, but asking a shop to stud tires plus all that, pretty poor move.

eccomyth t1_iwjp6c8 wrote

No. Not true at all. Most sites do not. Actual almost all do not Stud tires for you. You can buy pre-studded manufacture done tires from sites. But not studdable ones and get them studded by the online site.

This Reddit has been the most useless one I've ever come across. Getting downvoted for asking about help finding someone to stud? Also it use to be done by just about everyone a decade or more ago. I have been buying Studdable tires for over 20years and never had an issues finding someone to do it till this year where it seems most VT business like a lot of the population now are lazy and avoiding being helpful in any way.

−13

btwnmtns t1_iwjpkx1 wrote

Bruh, did you even google this? Just did and the first few results yielded that they will stud and ship.

eccomyth t1_iwjqeue wrote

What sites? All the major ones like Tire Rack, Tire Warehouse, Simple Tire, Priority Tire and a few others I tired and look at right now have no options to get studs installed. Only to buy Manufacture Pre-studded ones.

−10

SkettiStay t1_iwl7chm wrote

I just checked a set of studdable snow tires on Tire Rack ( ALTIMAX ARCTIC 12 - SIZE: 225/60R17 ).

The optional stud installation costs $15/tire.

mistahboogs t1_iwlbggz wrote

Lmao don't you look stupid. "Most businesses like the people here are lazy!" All the while your dumbass didn't even Google what they were looking for. Talk about lazy lmao

Traditional_Lab_5468 t1_iwiegu2 wrote

> know Vermont is a "Small" state, but this kind of thing is getting ridiculous here.

Vermont isn't just a "small" states in quotation marks. It's the smallest state economy in the US.

Not saying your frustration is invalid, but... expectations. Literally every other state in the country turns money over more than we do.

hotseltzer t1_iwigpzv wrote

Not to mention the vacancies and understaffing issues everywhere just... keep... growing...

SomeConstructionGuy t1_iwky4c2 wrote

Very very few installers actually stud the tires. They order tires from the local distributor which will stud as needed locally. Problem is those warehouses won’t sell to consumers. So you’re asking a shop to ask their supplier for a favor. And you’re asking them to transport a set of tires they didn’t make markup on two ways for nothing.

You saved money buying online because someone forfeited markup. The trade off is now you don’t get the service that markup pays for.

Eagle_Arm t1_iwjri9h wrote

Sounds like someone failed to plan and now it's OTHER people who are lazy and don't want to help. So sad

cool_weed_dad t1_iwjzrtp wrote

Gonna be honest, I’ve never heard of getting regular tires studded. I’ve always had a regular set and a set of studded ones I swap over to in the winter on cars that needed them.