Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ohnofluffy t1_iwl27ip wrote

I’m heading home for the holidays from NYC. I was going to drive up today (from about 30 min away from Canadian border so rural, northern VT) but am hearing mixed things on the driving conditions. Any suggestions?

jackington17 OP t1_iwl2z6x wrote

I am down in southern VT so I can't say much for the roads there... but I have heard several accounts from friends and family out and about today that the roads are currently not great. I would honestly let the plows do their thing before you go... I haven't even looked at the weather though so I do not know when the weather will be better. It's hailing and raining where I am now which makes the roads much worse.

RoyalIndependence500 t1_iwl78cs wrote

Central Vermont here. Roads aren’t great but passable if you drive slow. Had 1 idiot in a pickup fishtail and slide into the ditch on my hill this morning, but many other drivers got around him just fine.

whaletacochamp t1_iwlci65 wrote

Franklin county here and roads are considerably bad. My wife has an AWD vehicle and while her snow tires aren’t on yet she’s got good all seasons which have handled early snow storms with ease in the past. She’s also driven in VT for 15 years and is a good driver in the snow. She almost went off the road twice today, which makes me think there’s something different about this snow fall.

WantDastardlyBack t1_iwlhg7h wrote

Everything I've seen in the weather alert for my area (Champlain Valley) is that the snow is going to change to rain at noon. This snow isn't going to stick.

ohnofluffy t1_iwllj22 wrote

Thanks for responding!! Subaru Outback, AWD. It’s fantastic in the winter. But I’m one of those people whose driven in bad conditions enough to prefer to hunker down and go later when the roads are sound.

pro_conser333 t1_iwmz76s wrote

My husband and I were out doing deliveries all morning and enjoyed the beautiful scenery. We did see a few car accidents and several cars in ditches. A woman in a BMW cut in front of a semi and her car ended up being crumpled. She survived but was scary to see.

oneisgoodtwoisbetter t1_iwn551b wrote

Upper Valley here. Travel this morning was fine, just wet and slushy. Hope everyone takes their time and makes good driving decisions. Drive safe Vermonters!