Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Crisp_Strudel OP t1_ixwb1z5 wrote

I’m not saying I will move to Vermont but I’m 6 months away from getting my degree and let’s say there’s a really good job opportunity there, is there any way for me not to be disliked for being a out of stater? Very very unlikely I will but I’m curious

SilverKelpie t1_ixwcmvl wrote

Can't speak for all of Vermont since different regions have different flavors, but nobody in real life here has given any hint that they dislike us for being from out of state, and everybody around us knows. (We seem to have been a subject of town gossip before we even got here.) Everybody has been extremely nice, much more so than I'm used to, and folks have shown up at random and lent a hand a number of times.

ETA: How not to be disliked as best as I can tell: "When in Rome" it. You're moving to Vermont. Figure out the basic culture, how to be a Vermonter, and be that. People the world over basically don't want outsiders changing their way of life. Also, just be a nice person who lends a hand when you can. Nobody likes jerks.

thebeddebate t1_ixzos8y wrote

This sounds very Kingdom like gossip then become best friends. A majority of people we meet are transplants in some nature or another.

frisbeegopher t1_ixwnsxj wrote

Out of starers get a lot of hate on this sub, not so much in real life. Be a good neighbor and participate in your community and you’ll be fine.

thunder-cricket t1_ixwzzar wrote

That's been my experience 100%. i'm glad I didn't find this sub before I moved here!

Mental-Job7947 t1_ixwv680 wrote

One of the worst parts about Vermont is finding a good job. I'm out of state been here for 12 years, 4 in college. Purchased a house 2 years ago.

Do: Embrace everything Vermont has to offer kindly, and people will be more than happy to meet you.

Don't: Try and change the smell of cow shit, gravel roads, ban guns, personal farms, add billboards, shitty corporations, add street lights, and discuss religion.

All that being said, a job opportunity in Burlington Brattleboro or Newport. Will get you 3 very different experiences.

Crisp_Strudel OP t1_ixwvh7r wrote

The degree I’m getting is in Mechatronics and industrial atomization, and I have been working on semiconductor manufacturing I wonder if Vermont has any jobs in that field, yeah I love guns I’d never change that, Oregon just passed the strictest gun law in the country and it’s kinda crazy. Vermont doesn’t have billboards or street lights?

Mental-Job7947 t1_ixww2xn wrote

No billboards allowed. Street lights, yes, but out of necessity in town and city limits

Walruzuma t1_ixz6aj0 wrote

The street light thing is changing rapidly in Chittenden County as morons from away take hold in local government. It's really disgusting.

Mental-Job7947 t1_ixz8263 wrote

Yeah Chittenden County. You will have that as the population grows. Places like Shelburne Road are deadly to foot and bike traffic, and lighting does help that. We do have a housing crisis, and that will result in development like it or not. Vermomt needs it.

Walruzuma t1_ixzbb9u wrote

I'll politely yet vigorously disagree with your last sentence.

−1

Mental-Job7947 t1_iy240bj wrote

Well, you can see how well that kind of attitude is working for Upstate NY. Short-sighted, selfish but polite.

Crisp_Strudel OP t1_ixxkill wrote

HOLY COW YOURE KIDDING thank you for linking me!!!!

jlkmb t1_ixxlnol wrote

You're welcome. Get a job and make a donation to your new favorite VT charity.

Walruzuma t1_ixz6eub wrote

That was the largest semi conductor fab in the world at one point.

Mental-Job7947 t1_ixwwjqp wrote

You would be working in the Burlington area in that field

Crisp_Strudel OP t1_ixwyovn wrote

What’s your opinion of That area?

Mental-Job7947 t1_ixx1w07 wrote

I like it here. I wouldn't mind living 35 to 50 minutes out of town to have more land, privacy, and freedom..but i like diverse food, bars, and events more.

Mental-Job7947 t1_ixx2ur9 wrote

I lived in Lamoille County for a few years. Lots of land for recreation and outdoor activities. Great, ski mountains, lakes, hunting but not much else.

PeteDontCare t1_ixwcssw wrote

Been in VT off and on for many years, and also lived in PDX for a while. Over half the population of VT seems to be out-of-staters at this point

thunder-cricket t1_ixwztxa wrote

I moved here from the dreaded California(!) last year. I love it here and I love all my neighbors and community. I've made some great friends. And I've felt nothing but love and welcome.

twowheels t1_iy1i7sk wrote

It seems that a lot of my neighbors have some connection to CA, I’ve never felt any hatred for CA where I live. That said, when driving across the country with CA plates I received a lot of unsolicited negative opinions in the various states in between.

cynnamin_bun t1_ixwkty6 wrote

You can’t make everyone happy I’m sure, but I haven’t encountered anyone who has seemed to be annoyed that I’m not from VT, been here about 3 years. I found that actually people are way friendlier here than MA where I am from.

somedudevt t1_ixwsy72 wrote

Do no harm. The most basic concept to keep people happy with you. If your looking at a house don’t get in a bidding war with a local family. If you think guns are evil, drop that at the state line. Don’t post your land, find a hobby you like and become active in that community, but don’t be over eager to try to lead/take things over. Don’t complain that Vermont isn’t XYZ place. Don’t drive in the passing lane not passing. When called a flat lander accept that even though your mountains are 3x as tall we are right. Call people from NJ MA NY CT etc flatlanders.

Pretty much just don’t try to change it here.

K1d6 t1_ixxvmre wrote

Basically be as ignorant as the locals? You can post land if you own it, and maybe stop calling people flatlanders because you sound like idiots. I'm from NH and was called a flatlander. People in VT hate on others from outside the state and then also rely on their tourism. Makes about zero sense.

−3

TheTowerBard t1_ixz4wsz wrote

Honestly, you should not worry about this. I’m from Vermont and have even been treated like shit and was even threatened once by some asshole because I was in a car with California plates. The car was my mothers, the same woman who raised me in Vermont. She moved to CA came for a visit on a cross country trip and this was her welcome home.

My point here, the people that would treat you negatively for not being from here literally will find any and all reasons to be assholes to others. They are the minority though, and no one likes them.

So please, live your life and live where you want. For most of us, the second you step over the state line, you are welcomed with open arms even if your just here for the weekend.

OhNoMgn t1_ixya11g wrote

As long as you respect Vermont for what it is and understand the ways in which it differs from a lot of other places, that'll put you miles ahead of many other out-of-staters we get here. It seems to be a theme that folks will move here without knowing what it's really like, and when they realize that they can't get DoorDash in their rural town or go to the store at 11pm or there isn't public transportation, then the complaints start. To take it a step further, if those people have enough money to gain any sort of influence, they begin to want to change things and that's usually where the red line is drawn. Basically, we don't mind out-of-staters in general, but we value our state and our way of life, and we resent it when people come here and bitch about it, or try to make it more like the place they came from, instead of appreciating Vermont for what it is. As long as you're not That Person, you'll be totally fine! Definitely come by for a visit sometime if you're considering moving; while it's hard to totally capture the vibe of a place with just a short visit, it should still give you a fairly good idea. :)

shamparns t1_ixyt5yb wrote

You’ve already condemned yourself for being an out of stater and you don’t even live here yet. You can’t go through life terrified of being the new guy unless you’re willing to work the same job your entire life in the same town of the same state with the same friends you had since high school.

Being new in a place isn’t inherently wrong and don’t give too much legitimacy to people who may hate you exclusively because they don’t know you yet. People move around, it’s been part of humanity from the beginning. The key is PARTICIPATING as a member of the community, and that’s actually true everywhere. Any club, any group - when you’re the new guy, be kind, listen, and participate. Don’t shun yourself into a corner and be strange. Engage!

Hell_Camino t1_ixyxqk0 wrote

Don’t go by folks in r/vermont. This forum is very much against outsiders. However, I’ve never seen any of that attitude in real life here.

ProLicks t1_ixz0a9t wrote

The fact is that you’ll get shit for it from people who are looking for a reason to give you shit, but there’s not always a ton of vitriol behind it. I’d get something like it for being from a different part of the Vermont, were I to encounter a similarly minded person born in the town I moved to almost a decade ago. Tribalism is tribalism.

Practically, this will mean very little to you, particularly if you’re looking at Chittenden County. Chittenden has more transplants and resembles other places a lot more, socially, than most of Vermont, and it’s also where most of the jobs that might bring in someone from all the way out in Oregon are located.

My wife is from New Jersey originally, but always belonged here, even before she moved 20 years ago. If Vermont calls to you, I’m guessing you’ll find a place, too…although I will say that a lot of folks from out west find us nosey, judgmental, and impolite in our directness. And, ya know, being honest, those people probably have a point, but my VT-raised friends who have gone west for any period of time have found west-coast social mores to be more distant, shallow, and impersonal than they’d prefer. See about spending some time out here - especially in the times like right now or late March, when this state is generally considered to be at its least appreciable. If you can find ways to be happy during these times, you’ll be good.

I will give you one piece of advice to avoid raising a Vermonter’s ire, and that would be to avoid the “ya know what you need around here is [insert thing that we actively have resisted]”. As long as you’re asking a question about something we’ll talk your ear off (see: this massive fucking reply), but until a Vermonter personally feels you understand some of their perceived nuance behind some issues, your opinion will be taken as ignorance or out-of-state bullshit. I’ve only ever lived here, but I have a feeling that this is a universal truth that Vermonters just take to an unhealthy and jerkish extreme at times.

Good luck with your move - or not move! Either way, you should come and visit. I LOVE Oregon, and while we can’t match the scale or majesty or your nature, we have a very accessible and beautiful bit of it here. Also, there’s a really similar ethos among the two pretty divergent groups of people (Burlington = Portland, Newport = Baker City, roughly) and if you understand how to respectfully operate in both places the state is really varied and fun to explore no matter where you’re from. Hope to see you around sometime!

JoeWaubeeka t1_ixx034p wrote

If you're on the western side of Vermont, then the Adirondack state park in NY is very close and there are no issues with private property and it's huge.