Submitted by immersedinideas t3_z98p6w in vermont

I had the privilege of living in Vermont for only 2 years, leaving only due to affordability issues and inability to find sufficiently high paying work, but I miss the state so damn much. Even though I lived in Barre city (with all of its problems), my heart is still there. The gorgeous mountains, the beautiful forests, the charming towns, the focus on keeping things small and local, the sense of inclusion and acceptance, the overall culture and mindset of people - it’s truly hard to beat. Yes, Vermont has its variety of problems, including some negative social factors, but it’s still the best place I have ever had the privilege of calling home.

I am now a thousand miles away, been gone for a month, and I can’t help seeing those winding roads near Hardwick, the view of Lake Memphremagog as you come into Newport off I91, sunset in fall in Hope Cemetery, the mist shrouded mountains, the water flowing over the rocks in the rivers heading along so many roads, the view of Camel’s Hump on I89 near the Montpelier exit, the incredible quarries, the moose and bear I got to see, when I close my eyes. Your state will always have my heart, even if I must love it from a distance. Cherish, protect, love your state, and acknowledge the privileges you have of calling Vermont home. Me? I’ll play some more Noah Kahan and reminisce.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

vases t1_iyfmzcv wrote

I can earn 50% more in my field (government administration) elsewhere in southern New England, with a lot more job options at that, than in Vermont. That was a big factor for leaving, although I can still visit. But yeah, the Vermont Tax is very, very real.

immersedinideas OP t1_iyfploi wrote

It is definitely real. You kinda get what you pay for though. The way of life in Vermont is hard to find anywhere else.

tallardschranit t1_iygau9z wrote

I visited for 10 days and tried really hard to figure out how my wife and I could stay. It's a long term goal for now.

-sallysomeone- t1_iyjiaal wrote

Its no VT, but close to it is Grafton County, NH. Property taxes still suck, but no income or sales tax can help balance a budget. Good country living, close to VT but also close to Boston, relatively speaking. People are sometimes a little different in NH than VT, but you can still find great communities, farms, arts, food/drink, etc. I've lived in both states and enjoyed each in their own right.

yeahimsadsowut t1_iyjj62r wrote

What’s the cultural difference between Vermont and New Hampshire in your opinion?

-sallysomeone- t1_iykji6d wrote

Speaking in broad stereotypes for ease of description, VT can be more hippie, more politically liberal, more green (multiple meanings intended), and just overall "more chill," which I prefer. The "live and let live" kind of folks.

There are pockets of VT that are primarily tourist focused (Killington, Jay Peak) and that can certainly affect a local vibe. And as with anywhere, there are small minded residents too. In highschool, I remember the "take back VT" people who were against same sex marriage and weren't quiet about it.

NH is definitely a purple state, politically. Indigent towns next to wealthy ones. More industrialized in the southeastern area. Less easy to stereotype as a whole, but lots of "live free or die" folks, both in their own red or blue ways. Red governor and blue senator are a nice balance imo (putting personal opinions aside)

Western NH feels like VT, southern NH feels like MA. Northern NH is more like ME. All within a three hour drive.

Source: lived in VT, NH, and ME for 30 years.

edrny42 t1_j094dm9 wrote

You'd be welcomed! I've been to 49 out of the 50 states and I can tell you there is nothing like coming back home to Vermont - nowhere I would rather be.

bigtimesauce t1_iynodh3 wrote

You don’t have poverty and boredom where you’re at now?

Horror-Problem-7278 t1_iyjlhub wrote

Yes I lived in Vermont for about a decade and loved it. I moved out during the pandemic for family reasons and want to go back. But I really can’t as far as I can figure without taking a significant pay cut and increase in cost of living.

popquizmf t1_iyocnym wrote

I hear that. An equivalent position to mine in other states would get me at least a 50% pay raise. If I went west coast my wife and I could double our salaries.

All that is to say that we moved here and paid too much for a house but both were able to obtain reach jobs for ourselves. The pay is the same as my last job, so I didnt take a hit and neither did the wife.

It's been... Wonderful moving here. I wish I could enjoy the outside more, but that'll come once the amazing folks at the white river junction VA get me fixed up.

The only negative here is the night driving and short days in the winter. The rest has been great. My kids loooove it here. I'm so glad I came back to New England, and specifically the upper valley in VT.

hey-you-guyz t1_iyg7und wrote

I work remotely for a company based outside of VT. It's the only way I can make enough money to continue living here. I love living here so 2 years ago I applied to remote only jobs in my field. Best career move I ever made.

sneakypieceofham t1_iyheqxv wrote

Who do you work for? Looking for some remote work in VT.

hey-you-guyz t1_iyilq6e wrote

I'm an Instructional Designer. I work in corporate training and development and I basically design the training.

Thefoodwoob t1_iyj78z4 wrote

I'm incredibly interested in this field- with some experience to back it up 😁 do you mind if I messaged you with some questions?

molyholycannoli t1_iyheiq1 wrote

Yessss! I own my own business and also seeking remote jobs. What's your industry?

hey-you-guyz t1_iyji1ld wrote

Corporate learning and development. I'm an instructional designer.

ActualGiantPenguin t1_iygdyrp wrote

I moved here in 2013 with no plans, no connections, and almost no money. I'm still here. It can be done.

suzi-r t1_iygtn0u wrote

Please find your way back to us. You belong here.

immersedinideas OP t1_iyh9d27 wrote

One day, perhaps! If I’m ever in the right position for that to be realistic, you can bet I’ll try again. My partner has a green hoodie that says Vermont Green Mountain State and wears it as often as possible; it’s heartbreaking to see. They want a tattoo of Camel’s Hump so VT is with them always.

CHECK_FLOKI t1_iyfyslf wrote

I've been all over the world and Vermont is easily one of the most blessed places in terms of natural beauty. In the US I think only California beats it for natural beauty.

Ski, snowboard and ice fish in the winter. Go boat riding, hiking fishing, kayaking in the summer.

Unfortunately, it's not really a place you can make a lot of money. NIMBY policies have regressed economic growth so badly that the state depends on tourists for money. If you're a young person, you have to leave the state for economic opportunities. Go to Boston or New York, but don't forget to come home to enjoy the beauty from time to time.

rufustphish t1_iygzbnl wrote

The tourist industry is about 10 percent of our gdp and not a livable wage easily found within it. I wish this thought that we depend on tourists would fade away, It's not based on reality or facts and makes our state seem dependent on others

CHECK_FLOKI t1_iyi1i8k wrote

Whether or not it contributes 10% of Vermonts GDP is pointless. What matters is the percentage of the state's revenue that tourism accounts for.

Alarmed-Swing-9114 t1_iym9pfs wrote

It’s 10% of the workforce, a little less than 10% of GDP, and the tax revenue is less than 5% of the state’s budget. So it’s impact is minimal at all levels, and yet we pretend it’s the only thing driving the entire state’s economy.

The issue is that we have certain areas of the state that have built themselves up 100% around tourism revenue. Stowe would not survive without tourists. Burke wouldn’t either (most of the northeast kingdom would be pretty screwed). So the impact of way less tourism would be disproportionate depending on where in the state you were.

Vermonter623 t1_iz72zu9 wrote

Except then every idiot and their brother would flood here and it would become new jersey. We need to keep this state small. Let all the idiots move to chittenden county. Keep the rest for us natives

c_l_who t1_iyhmijy wrote

I'm a native Vermonter (6th generation) who went off and lived all over the world. Settled back here about 25 years ago and still consider it the best place I've ever lived. My adult children, who are off making their way in large cities have the ultimate goal of moving back here too. You really can't beat the quality of life, the kindness, the supportive communities, etc. Every time I leave, I breathe a huge sigh of relief when I cross the border returning home. My stress level instantly drops and my sense of contentment goes through the roof. I hope you'll be able to find your way back to Vermont someday.

benjerrysanders t1_iyhzw76 wrote

I have a surprisingly similar visceral response upon crossing the state line. Unfortunately I’ve not been able to find my way home, and as a 5th generation Vermonter (only ever met one other who was a 6th), trying to get back after going to UVM for medical school was and is still a challenge. I applaud those who are able to make it work, with a healthy amount of jealousy.

Longjumping_Vast_797 t1_iyj2gwq wrote

I third that notion. Same feeling of relief.

thatgirl001 t1_iyjtepx wrote

Same here! A wave of feeling that something is right in the world again. Damn this place really is magical

c_l_who t1_iyi7qua wrote

My family's roots here are long and deep. My father takes great pride in my children being 7th generation. They, however, just roll their eyes.

The reaction really is visceral. Hard to explain to someone who hasn't experienced it.

dmcginvt t1_iyl6fe0 wrote

cant agree more. But i have to say this , where I live everyone owns their parents place and land. I dont see that going way unless the kids are idiots. The people complaining their kids cant live here is nonsense, they can and do. There's no shortage of land owned by 5 generations of peeps who own the fuck out of their land and lots of it. On.y people bitching are the people that cant buy it from them

themightyklang t1_iyi4gnv wrote

Same here friend. I lived in VT for 5 years and loved every minute, but had to move for the same reasons as you. It's not even just that the salaries are higher elsewhere in my field (which they obviously are) but the list of places I could even get a job in anything remotely resembling my field is like 3 places long. I know Vermonters are really opposed to development but there has to be a middle ground somewhere.

dmcginvt t1_iyl5yto wrote

Im of the opinion that williston was made to be development happy for reason. Keep it all there. Let chittenden county blow up in everyway who cares. Keep it there. And Vermont can still be Vermont.

Necessary_Cat_4801 t1_izbv7hm wrote

Chittenden county has turned into NJ/ MA since Covid. Definitely not a cool place anymore, it's mostly old rich people/work from home types now.

keylimecar t1_iyft1n3 wrote

Sorry to hear it! I'm not super familiar with Barre, what were some of its issues?

immersedinideas OP t1_iyftmn6 wrote

Barre is nicknamed “scary barre.” It’s really only bad by VT standards, but it does have a high poverty rate, a high rate of drug use and overdoses, pretty bad schools, and a lot sketchy people. Nevertheless, there’s still a lot of really good people there and decent businesses. I think the city has a lot of potential.

M05040423 t1_iyg5mpg wrote

I’ve lived in Barre for 18 years. Moved here when my oldest was 9 months old because this is where we could afford to buy a house. The schools have been great to us and the city has changed a lot in the past few years for the better. People who live here care about our city and have worked hard to improve it and revitalize the downtown. You’re welcome back whenever you feel you can come back.

faceswithfires t1_iyh99uq wrote

Barre is perfectly fine, and it's not even bad 'by Vermont standards'. If you're not engaged in hard drug use Barre is a grand place to live and has some of the more affordable living prices in the area. Its reputation is not deserved.

immersedinideas OP t1_iyhakf7 wrote

Don’t get me wrong, I’d live in Barre again. It has a lot of great qualities - especially the generous, helpful people you find there.

somedudevt t1_iyhpfy6 wrote

I can tell you that barre is the only place where I’ve ever had a gun pulled… and In my life i have tried pot 3 times so im not a drug user… the person who pulled the gun was a drug dealer which I later found out; but it started as a guy being touchy on a friends girlfriend at gustos, and ended with a gun out.

Not saying barre is the worst place on earth, and it’s done well to export most of its crime to the hotel in Berlin, but its not great. When you see kids go to Christian school and 5 years later robbing stores for drug money… it’s well sad.

keylimecar t1_iyftyot wrote

:( I'm sorry you had to leave, sounds like the area could use you! I hope you can come back to visit and maybe one day remote work will allow you to move back!!

needathneed t1_iyi2trm wrote

I lived in VT for the second half of my life and had to leave during COVID after losing my job and a bunch of other factors and am now elsewhere in New England, missing it every day. I hope to return someday as well!

BeckyKleitz t1_iyi817x wrote

I'm a native Vermonter and I haven't set foot on Vermont soil since July of 1998.

My heart breaks a little bit more every day as I realize the odds of me ever being able to live in Vermont again are slim to none. It sucks.

pretentiousignoramus t1_iyfkpti wrote

What industry are you in?

immersedinideas OP t1_iyflpwg wrote

Customer service/sales management. I had a relatively well paying job there, but it was about the max pay I could find. It just wasn’t enough when you have a disabled partner and not just yourself to take care of.

johneerottn2dacore t1_iyfmjcl wrote

And I'm sorry the hear about your partner, I'm semi disabled with Crohns, so I get it all too well. hugs to you 2 from Vermont

immersedinideas OP t1_iyfpns0 wrote

Thank you! I wish you the best with your health and making it in VT!

Vermalien t1_iyg6rv3 wrote

Enterprise in Rutland is hiring for such a position right now. Just saying…

immersedinideas OP t1_iyg7ioo wrote

Without disclosing too much personal info, I’ll just say I’m very familiar with the company.

Vermalien t1_iyg82h8 wrote

A-ha. Sounds like I’m glad they didn’t choose me for the role, then :)

immersedinideas OP t1_iyg8rmc wrote

I mean, it’s not a bad company to work for and the pay isn’t bad for VT. The hours are long though. But it’s not enough for my particular situation to do ok in the state.

Vermalien t1_iygfop8 wrote

Well, I threw out some shit, and this one ain’t stick. I just used them for a rental and they were dolls.

Wageslavesyndrome t1_iyhtkpa wrote

I hear you 110%. I have a wife that is disabled in a wheelchair and I’m trying to tread water to not drown because the jobs pay like ass out here and it’s expensive as hell.

But my wife grew up here and doesn’t want to leave so I’m stuck in this beautiful lovely state. Obviously there’s worse things in life but being in my 40s and living paycheck to paycheck is very depressing, no matter how wonderful this state is. There’s no money for the future, barely any money to enjoy recreational activities, and any hiccup in life causes immense stress on my finances.

My review in November was immaculate, was told that my company is glad I’m apart of their “family” and my work is top notch. Got a raise of .75%. Not 75 cents/hr, not 75%, but .75%, a three-quarter of one percent raise for all my hard work. I’m already underpaid (I make 44,000 supporting my wife and I) by 25000 or so of the national average based on a few websites, but because of living in Vermont, it’s okay. 😂.

wheresaldopa t1_iyi1b9f wrote

I have always felt similarly about Vermont, with the main difference being that I have never lived there. I love it every time I visit, and oftentimes return back home to Pennsylvania wishing that I could call Vermont home. Then, once I return to thinking logically about my interests in life, I realize that Vermont is not exactly a realistic destination and that Pennsylvania, for the most part, is just fine. That being said, I will try my best to visit Vermont at least once a year for as long as I live.

GringoSuaveVT t1_iyk1yph wrote

Don’t worry, friend- it’s still here. 😉

Beneficial_Falcon395 t1_iyszkdy wrote

Maybe I'm reading this at a particularly bad period, but I moved here over 2 years ago b/c my partner is from here. He and SO MANY other people idolized Vermont so damn much I just assumed I'd be happier here than in any of the southern cities I've lived in, especially being a pretty liberal and outdoorsy person, but I am just not. I hate it here. For context, I've moved to two other places without knowing a soul, and within like 3-6 months I had plenty of friends. Even before that time, I had plenty of opportunities to make friends, go out, have fun, etc.

I've tried language classes, group sports, online meetups, board game groups, DnD groups, group bike rides, yoga, and just generally hanging out in town and talking to people, and had absolutely no success in TWO YEARS. I strike up conversations, we seem to make a connection, sometimes we even swap phone numbers and do a few stilted hangouts, but then fucking nothing and I watch their instagram feeds hanging with all the friends they've had for decades. I'm so lonely. I have my partner and that is it.

We really wanted to be integrated with the community. I bought a whole goddamn house and we have been renovating it completely on our own, because theres absolutely no contractors available, and that has sucked too. It's an overpriced old piece of shit that I can't even be proud of, but it's not like there were better options for housing here. Renting is outrageous, and all the houses are old and falling apart. Now I just want it gone. I'm ashamed I even own it when I see my friends' houses back in the south, so clean cut and nice looking. Everything in this stupid house is janky and you can't even do something simple like install a closet kit because the studs are in the wrong place.

During the nice months of the year, the saving grace is that I have so many outside opportunities, I love that. During the winter, skiing is fun, but it's expensive as hell and I can't afford to do it much. I can't find a therapist, I've emailed 60+ people and tried 2, who both sucked. Every single business I call doesn't answer the goddamn phone and closes at random ass times. If I need a nice work shirt last minute, day-of, for a work trip, I literally cannot find one. I've tried. "Our fitting rooms aren't open today". Cool. Guess I'll just fuck off then. It's dark and cold and ferociously windy all the fucking time. I invested in a ton of winter clothes, but I don't WANT to pile on 10 pounds of clothes to go for a lunch-time walk. My mental health is the worst it's ever been as an adult who escaped an abusive childhood.

It seems like this state is designed for and full of people who want to stay in their house, never talk to people, and go for walks occasionally. Maybe that'll be me when I'm 70, but it's not me now. Don't listen to the hype, only move here if you hate people, have no ambition in life, and never need modern amenities, fuck this place, I can't wait to leave.

commander_lampshade t1_iyxzx8a wrote

I like it here, but upvoted this because it’s just a great post, and I can’t say it’s wrong.

lunathemoono t1_iyg1inc wrote

i lived in vermont for a little over a year and i miss it so incredibly much. i dream about moving back one day. i really hope my dream will become reality because it is such an incredible little state

CaleNord2020 t1_iygya41 wrote

I miss Plainfield VT. Every winter.

dcarsonturner t1_iyhzhgx wrote

My moms friend lives on the Canada side of Memphremagog!

bloodsport666 t1_iyibyjk wrote

I lives in Vermont for 2 years about a decade ago. Had to move away due to family problems.

Kept feeling like I needed to move back. Finally made the leap back last year and extremely glad I made that choice.

timberwolf0122 t1_iyhgcl3 wrote

I missed VT so much when I was in NC. Love Charlotte and I do miss aspects of living there and of course the friends I made there, however VT is home to me, maybe more so than Sussex where I’m from originally

Dry_Invite_8747 t1_iyi08t6 wrote

I recently moved here from nyc . Still working the same job I had there remotely. I do miss the city life I grew up in at times but wanted better for my kids and would have did it when they were even younger if I could. The good part is only takes me about 5 hours to get back and have plenty of close friends to stay with for a few days. This is a nice state.

thqks t1_iyr97nq wrote

Unfortunately, charming towns and affordable are usually mutually exclusive. People with money fight to keep it zoned low density and there isn't enough housing.

dcarsonturner t1_iysyfmj wrote

Noah Kahan is from the town next to where I’m from! My brother went to school with him as well

norov t1_iyg0scf wrote

Me too :(

molyholycannoli t1_iyhega6 wrote

Come back. Work remote if you can. Enjoy the life, high taxes and all. We're not voted healthiest state in the union for nothing.

yeahimsadsowut t1_iyjji8p wrote

Dumb question, but do kids who grow up in Vermont go to … University of Vermont and then go work in Burlington?

Like how does this all work if you’re a middle to upper middle class kid in let’s say like the biggest city or somethin?

Or does everyone head to Boston for obvious reasons post grad?

FormerAttitude7377 t1_iyhb1jk wrote

I am trying to move to Vermont. Anyone know of anyone selling a small home in a safe city?

−2

molyholycannoli t1_iyhen1n wrote

Look into Bennington County! Lots of cool stuff and economic growth happening.

FormerAttitude7377 t1_iyhuhbb wrote

Thank you for the suggestion! I have looked at a few homes there, it looks promising :)

molyholycannoli t1_iyi6e9r wrote

You're welcome! I grew up here, moved away, then to Burlington, Vermont area and then back here to Bennington County. Lots of great stuff all over the place but there's something really special about what's going on here in the County and also being so close to Saratoga Springs, New York and New York City and Boston. Check out the Stay To Stay program in Vermont which might help you decide. And hope you find yourself feeling welcome no matter if you come to live or visit.

Corey307 t1_iyjj0ht wrote

VT has the oldest housing stock in the country so assume any home will need work.

ANTI-PUGSLY t1_iyia3c3 wrote

/r/NewToVermont and also I mean... you're getting downvoted because the housing market is very competitive here. No one's just walking into reddit and getting offered a house. At minimum, learn about the state and watch specific regions on real estate websites. Better yet, move and rent for awhile; meet people, discover different communities, contribute to the state's economy a bit. I am sure where you'd pick on a whim right now would be different after spending quality time here.

johneerottn2dacore t1_iyfmbui wrote

I feel your pain for having to leave such a wonderful and beautiful state. I'm on my 3rd attempt at moving to Vermont... they keep politely asking me to leave cuz I'm too weird. lmao This time I've landed in Middlesex, and I have no intention of leaving again.... They're just gonna have to learn some tolerance for this weirdo from Michigan. 🤗🤔🤣

−6

immersedinideas OP t1_iyfpxhp wrote

I’m not willing to try again unless I have a really good job lined up or a good remote job. For now, I’m saving money by living with family in the South and relocating to MN after the new year.

Jerry_Williams69 t1_iygffu5 wrote

I'm a weirdo from Michigan too! My family finally pulled it off. We love it here in VT.