Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

raz0rsnak3 t1_j20s78r wrote

There is tons of public land in VT. My land is posted and will be strictly enforced.

Meow_Meow_4_Life t1_j20vmnb wrote

I just bought land and have wondered how to handle this issue. Do you post no trespassing or just rules?

raz0rsnak3 t1_j20zp9o wrote

No trespassing, hunting, fishing, trapping, etc. Yellow plastic Posted signs set as specified by the state, signed and dated, registered with the town.

No permission will be given to anyone who isn't family or friend.

Cellular cameras installed in key areas, backed up with WiFi cameras.

Sounds like overkill but in the 2 months I've owned the land I've seen dozens of guys on my land with rifles.

Meow_Meow_4_Life t1_j21040p wrote

This helps and makes sense. How did you handle seeing a guy walking around your property/house with a rifle?

raz0rsnak3 t1_j215xgl wrote

I just bought the land so these guys probably don't know that there are new owners. I saw them on game cameras and the land isn't posted yet.

If I saw guys with rifles on my land AFTER posting I'd try to get vehicle tags, then report them. If I can't find a vehicle I would approach them, ask if they saw the signs, and then tell them that they are trespassing. All with a concealed sidearm ready to go.

[deleted] t1_j216917 wrote

[deleted]

−8

Cabin_Sandwich t1_j217b4a wrote

Yeah tradition is my trashy neighbor getting hammered in the woods with a gun. “Hunting” he calls it. No thanks. His son yelled at an old lady this year ON HER OWN PROPERTY for being in the woods during rifle season. People are huge fucking assholes man, can’t blame folks for not wanting that on their land

raz0rsnak3 t1_j21dujf wrote

Yup. A lot of drunk asshole rednecks. I don't want them on my land.

raz0rsnak3 t1_j21dqh0 wrote

Yeah, born and raised here in VT. And because I know the woods and the type of people that abuse property rights, you bet your ass that I'm posting aggressively.

I don't give a flying F if they've hunted there for generations. I worked my ass off to buy that land and things change.

Attitudes like yours are why VT is having a problem attracting people to live here.

So I guess I'll go back to Killington?...jackass

vtddy t1_j21dgth wrote

I get where you're coming from, I'm a native Vermonter myself but if I had land I would certainly post it. But I would give permission to a select few that asked to use the land.

Eagle_Arm t1_j20yqz3 wrote

If you want it to be enforced, post it. You can have notes on the sign that people can ask permission. They then contact you.

If you're just doing rules, I'm no lawyer, but opening yourself up to potential lawsuits if they injure themselves.

contrary-contrarian t1_j2100uj wrote

Vermont has a landowner liability protection law. If your land is open to the public, they cannot sue you for injuries sustained on your land (provided there aren't any man-made hazards/extraordinary circumstances).

Oeslian t1_j212of1 wrote

This, Vermont is the only state where it's safe legally to let the public on your land. Unless you have any unmarked open pits or other obvious hazards.

contrary-contrarian t1_j214u5n wrote

Most states have some sort of landowner protection but Vermont's is especially robust

Eagle_Arm t1_j211sxk wrote

Vermont's law in it is pretty good and fron what I've read about it, stands up well, but someone could still take action against you. Thrown out, sure, but that won't stop having to pay a lawyer to do the paperwork for dismissal.

contrary-contrarian t1_j2122as wrote

For sure. If you partner with a trail organization they can sometime provide insurance that would cover defense in that instance.

For example, people that have landowner agreements with the Vermont Mountain Bike Association have that coverage, along with VMBA's insurance policy.

Eagle_Arm t1_j217d3j wrote

The same with VAST trails. Lots of private landowners support that.

Meow_Meow_4_Life t1_j20z5em wrote

Have you heard of people being sued by trespassers that have been injured on other people’s property and the owner being liable if it wasn’t posted?

CountryAssLawyer t1_j2105so wrote

The answer is ‘yes,’ but only under specific circumstances. Google “attractive nuisance” for one example.

Eagle_Arm t1_j21191t wrote

That's the verbiage I couldn't remember. Thanks for that.

Eagle_Arm t1_j21179i wrote

The commenter below had the phrase I couldn't remember.

The go-to example is usually a trampoline or pool that isn't fenced off and kids get hurt or drown. The kids aren't blamed because, they're just kids, they don't know any better. The adult, landowner, should have taken precautions to prevent it.

It's good to protect people who can't protect themselves, but it's also a little bullshit that you need to think about how to legally protect yourself vs. providing an area for people to be outdoors.

Stronkowski t1_j20yqva wrote

There's specific rules for posting if you want it to be official. You can start here