Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

khornish_game_hen t1_j95qfn6 wrote

Spy Museum! Try to get tickets ahead of time. Air and Space (it might be closed for renovation now) Nat. Gallery of Art (the old one not the modern one)

Sincerely,

A kid that went to DC a few years ago, live there now

drunkenmonkey619 t1_j95rwzk wrote

Air and space is open but you do have to reserve admission. I believe admissions open twice a day.

rattledaddy t1_j95sfl3 wrote

And at least a few weeks ago the renovations weren’t complete so only part of the building was open. Still impressive if one hasn’t been at all.

Macrophage87 t1_j96xncj wrote

Also, the one by Dulles. It's really cool to see a real space shuttle close up.

Content-County-9327 t1_j97bsgx wrote

Spy Museum is cool, just be aware it’s a paid museum and has tons of information so it can take a while. 😊

Tacocat1003 t1_j95qhya wrote

Just a FYSA, if you want to do Air & Space, check online for tickets. It is (or at least was) online tickets only when I went a couple of months ago.

The zoo is also online tickets only but they are much easier to get same day.

My_Name_Is_Not_Ryan t1_j95v0af wrote

If she’s a reader definitely check out the MLK Library. Even if she’s not it’s a good place to go sit and take a break for a bit and the cafe has good food that’s a little cheaper than most other places around.

CheapDeparture8834 t1_j95zyq6 wrote

Yes also the Library of Congress!! Right next to the Capitol.

Herculian t1_j99a4eb wrote

Even IF she's a reader these are terrible suggestions for an 11 year old. Quit pretending Matilda is a real person.

−5

CheapDeparture8834 t1_j9acrj4 wrote

What the hell is wrong with you? I literally have vivid memories of going to huge, beautiful libraries as a kid and they were some of my favorite memories. I loved books. I loved Harry Potter. Little bookworm kids would DIE for giant libraries and if you think otherwise, you’re an idiot.

Herculian t1_j9amnqp wrote

You overly romanticize books just like men in their 50s and hipster wannabes overly romanticize vinyl records. If you think a child would rather see stacks of books they don't have time to read and can't checkout over the Natural History or Air and Space museams, you're an idiot.

−4

cho_bits t1_j95ut07 wrote

High tea! Lots of options at hotels and tea houses around the city.

https://dc.eater.com/maps/best-afternoon-tea-dc-hotels

CheapDeparture8834 t1_j95zvxk wrote

I recommend the Hay Adams (Lafayette)!!! Right next to the White House. A bit pricy but not horrible and definitely memorable. Anyone can walk in and eat there and there’s a not small chance you’ll see a well known face if you study beforehand… I’ve seen a few presidential candidates or family members in 4-5 times going 👀

InevitableCloud t1_j95xdyp wrote

Take her to eat at the Native American museum! And busboys and poets so she can feel cool.

CheapDeparture8834 t1_j9603wy wrote

Yes! Also if you’re in NW DC, check out the cupcakes from A Baked Joint. They’re owned by Baked & Wired, aka the best cupcakes in DC and they carry the cupcakes!

msmith1994 t1_j9635o3 wrote

Mount Vernon (George Washington’s estate) is free on Presidents Day! Its a really cool historical site.

Lopsided-Agency t1_j95qld6 wrote

I've enjoyed the natural and American history museums.

ciminod t1_j98tc3d wrote

Really surprised no one has said Natural History Museum yet. Super cool, lots of animals among other things. Always catch people just gawking at stuff when I go

marvilousmom t1_j96s877 wrote

My 11 year old daughter loved walking the mall and going to every outdoor memorial and reading everything! We started at Jefferson and walked through to MLK, it hits Lincoln, WW1, WW2, FDR, Vietnam, Korea Wars, & Woman Suffrage(?)

Lopsided-Agency t1_j95yq6m wrote

We recently did the new Museum of Illusion. There's a fee and it's smaller than expected but still was fun.

HauntingHarmonie t1_j96zxfn wrote

Ride the metro if you aren't from around here! My nephew is fascinated that we use trains to get everywhere.

CheapDeparture8834 t1_j960938 wrote

Other suggestions: Planet Word, and if she’s a shopper check out City Center which is very close by (has a HUGE Tiffany’s and fun upscale window shopping. Very pretty at night!)

xscott71x t1_j96l9d7 wrote

If you've not signed up for your day passes to the Smithsonian's, you're already SOL.

waconaty4eva t1_j96c55x wrote

If she’s old enough to bike, you can see a little of everything in a day. Thats what I always suggest to family/friends/patrons. Start at The Jefferson and follow the water. Hit a U at the Lincoln and head back up to the Capitol.

Snoo_20076 t1_j984adw wrote

Laderach union station chocolate suisse

leafonawall t1_j98c4og wrote

End the night with hot chocolate at the Lincoln Memorial!

I think the monuments look best at night and the weather may cooperate just enough that it’s hot chocolate cold, not “oh my god” cold.

caseadilla111 t1_j98dhiu wrote

Spy Museum!!

Tickets run from $18-20 and they have timed slots but it’s typically very easy to get in. You could even try to get in as a walk-in.

Human-Payment5062 t1_j99czei wrote

If you have access to a car, the Udvar Hazy annex of the Smithsonian air and space museum (a little ways out in Virginia) is incredible too. But I don't think that one is free.

Maleficent_Joke_3562 t1_j99njxb wrote

You just missed Katsucon, I recommend a cat café, or something similar to suit her interest like cats and whiskers. The national zoo. Or botanical gardens. Annapolis isn’t too far you can tour the house and the senate chambers. At the Maryland state house. Which is also where Washington gave his farewell address speech. There are several things to do there, including a boat tour. And it’s relatively close to DC. Chicken Ruth is an Annapolis restaurant featured on man versus food. It has a lot of local history. For unique flavor and a delicious twist on ice cream Annapolis ice cream company is directly across the street and down the hill from the restaurant.

barrett-bonden t1_j9amo1h wrote

The Einstein statue is great for a kid and it's not too far from the Lincoln and Vietnam memorials.

Calm_Farmer_3061 t1_j9bia7h wrote

Planet Word is a super fun and interactive museum for all ages! It has games and photo opps and karaoke and all sorts of fascinating and engaging stuff. And for a bonus you can grab food downstairs at either Immigrant Food or Atrium Cafe and then eat in Franklin park across the street! They even have a little playground, fountain, plenty of greens spaces, and actually nice public restrooms easily accessible. Plus you're right next to the McPherson Square metro or plenty of buslines if you wanted to travel around the city some more.

Calm_Farmer_3061 t1_j9biho9 wrote

Lexicon Lane costs extra but it was definitely worth it! It's like a linguistics escape room! Full of puzzles and mysteries and clues

Calm_Farmer_3061 t1_j9bismc wrote

Also the O street mansion is pretty cool. It's a little pricier but the hidden doors and secret rooms to explore would have blown my mind as a kid.

The_BunnyMan_Woods t1_j978sg6 wrote

Explain to her the smell of weed ahead of time. Couldn’t walk a single block last night with out a contact buzz. There are nice gardens by the Smithsonian Arts and Industry. Waterfront is a great place to walk around.

−5